Author Topic: Burning pants  (Read 5114 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Burning pants
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
Is it bad that when I looked up and noticed that my pants were flaming away quite rigorously, my first thought was; "Oh no, not again!"?
 :O

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Burning pants
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »
Or the fact that you had to look up to see your pants could be a bad thing all by itself.   ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 05:07:44 PM »
Is it bad that when I looked up and noticed that my pants were flaming away quite rigorously, my first thought was; "Oh no, not again!"?

I *really* wonder about you sometimes.........
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:52:05 PM »
So you told another lie?  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
Lighting farts again?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 06:15:01 PM »
Just don't waste a good beer on the fire.

It will go out, just give it time. :O

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 06:21:20 PM »

I'll bet ya thought your anti-grav unit had overheated and caught fire.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 07:23:58 PM »
I'll bet ya thought your anti-grav unit had overheated and caught fire.

I thought those were traditionally located in loafers.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 07:31:49 PM »
MIG welding on an assembly.  Was sitting on the floor.  Apparently some splatter made it to the bottom leg of my pants, and promptly ignited them.

This is understandable, as I was working on a commercial grease hood two days ago, and some grease made it on my pants.

I promptly put the fire out, and resumed welding.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 08:14:17 PM »
Not sure what caught my attention first.....

....the again part.....

....or the memory of the last time I had to look up to see my pants.....involved an ex-girlfriend's ceiling fan....caught my attention....but I had other "concerns" at the time....  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »

And what did you do when your cutting torch ...  well, became even more of a torch?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 08:26:52 PM »
At least it wasn't floppy discs.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 09:23:48 PM »
Minor annoyance. There was an action I did not fully think through while fixing our ship's inport ensign staff. The rust-chippers had brought it to me cracked near in half. 15 coats of paint, old welds, salt air on aluminum and all that. You can never get it clean enough. So, I have the welder cranked to 11, burning along and a big old pile of dross has built up in front of my puddle. No problem, just a little flick with the filler rod and away it goes right? Right into my lap that is. Landed between my legs, melted the "fire resistant" coveralls, and then melted several large holes in my leg. Luckily my boot was tied tight so it ran down my leg and exited my cuff and did not lodge in my boot. About a 2 oz. chunk.

Pole never broke again.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 10:23:36 PM »
I got stupid one time. (Was it only once? ???)

I was kicked back here at home one weekend wearing shorts and sandals. I had a guy show up needing something brazed back together. As planed :facepalm: I had a puddle of brass drop on my foot. I got lucky that with a quick kick it was gone.

Tonight I lost a few hairs off one leg. I've been cleaning up around here and had a large pile to burn. I had some rotten gas out of the tractor I just sold so I poured a little on. One match and flames shot out about five feet from the pile right at ground level. :O

I guess I've been stupid at least twice in my life. ;)

Nick, check into getting some uniform pants. They take the fire much better then regular clothes.

jim

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 10:28:44 PM »
Fire can be a terrific motivator, I ran my welding torch over my thumb once.  Ya know, something that can melt gold and silver into a puddle is quite hot.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 11:40:24 PM »
Way back in high school welding class we had to have a "fire watch" when we welded. One day I drew the dumbest guy in class for my fire watch. Caught the cuff of my pants on fire, I noticed it when it got above the top of my boot. I asked the guy what the heck he thought he was supposed to do. With all seriousness, he told me he was watching the fire.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 11:43:48 PM »
Never had my pants catch on fire, but have had my boots catch on fire while welding. That's fun...

I had some rotten gas out of the tractor I just sold so I poured a little on. One match and flames shot out about five feet from the pile right at ground level

That's why I use diesel, not gasoline, for lighting debris piles...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 11:45:46 PM »
I didn't want to waste my diesel.

jim

PTK

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 12:02:37 AM »
Nothing surprises me with you, anymore. :D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 09:56:48 AM »
chaps. ;) and a car rebuilding show had some nice jeans with leather backing inside the front of the legs, on they're new product segment recently. pity i can't find da link.