Author Topic: Engagement rings  (Read 5119 times)

Waitone

• friend
Re: Engagement rings
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 05:47:16 PM »
Regardless of route taken, just make sure she is not allergic to the metal you choose.   :facepalm:
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

birdman

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 07:49:15 AM »
I just decided to create a truly unique ring for my SWMBO.
It's a petawatt laser titanium-doped sapphire rod, cut into a cushion-cut gemstone, with two diamond pears in a subtle platinum setting and ring.

My thoughts:
Lots of little diamonds around something a a fad.  Most current ring styles and diamond cuts are a fad, diamonds are a HUGE ripoff, and the classics (cut, settings, etc) never go out of style.
Don't get into the one-up mindset, and try to seek her thoughts in terms of what she likes.
Colored stones can be good or bad.  The red center stone in mine matches well with her other ring (garnet in a silver setting) and the bracelet I got her (silver with diamonds), so that worked for me.
The key is something unique, but not weird.  If its not unique in design (and unique can be subtle!), and all women like unique, the uniqueness has to be size (see aforementioned ripoff).

Also, don't be afraid of custom, the incremental cost for a custom ring or setting is minimal relative to the metal (except with silver), and even unique cuts arent that expensive.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 12:19:35 PM »
Regardless of route taken, just make sure she is not allergic to the metal you choose.   :facepalm:

Most humans are only allergic to nickel. So as long as you choose real gold, platinum, or sterling silver, you should be fine. NO plated crap!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe