Author Topic: Carry ammo question  (Read 5118 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Carry ammo question
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »
. . . the words "Remington Golden Bullet" or "Remington Thunderbolt" (both analagous for waste-of-money crap) are printed on the ammo box . . .
Just as an FYI . . . in the user's manual for their M&P 15-22, Smith & Wesson specifically recommends against using these ammo types; this is the first time I've seen a manufacturer specifically recommend against using certain common ammo by name.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 09:35:54 AM »
Two points about rotating carry ammo. My father has a friend, a retired small town police chief, who carried a Colt Python (beautiful) as his duty gun.  He swore that, based on personal experience, bullet lube will melt from heat, especially on a hot summer sunny day, and can contaminate the powder resulting in a squib shot or no shot at all.  He made a habit out of changing ammo at least weekely in the summer.  Of course, he only needed to swap out 18 rounds, so it wasn't as big a deal as it is now with the high-cap autos.

Second, my concern about the chambered round is less about the possibility of round set-back, and more about the rim getting chewed up too much.  I recall reading about this back in my younger shooting days pre-internet when I read the gun magazines.  And, I've noticed a roughness to the rim on some rounds I've chambered/ejected many times.  It may not be a big concern, but I am worried if a burr develops that keeps the round from properly engaging the extractor, or getting humg up because of the burr.

Personally, I try to swap out the chambered round about once a month, but leave the magazines full until shooting time.  Even then, I've often loaded and unloaded carry ammo a few times over a year or two.  With the price of carry ammo, and my shooting budget getting hit by gas prices and other expenses, it may end up the same or even longer...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 10:29:37 AM »
"this is the first time I've seen a manufacturer specifically recommend against using certain common ammo by name."

I've never seen that either, but I'm honestly not surprised.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when .22 ammo made in the Philippines and Mexico is higher quality than stuff made by (or for) Remington.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:38:46 AM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 10:49:10 AM »
FWIW, I had a Wolf 7.62*39 fail to fire after being chambered and cleared perhaps dozens of times.

Perhaps just coincidence, but it bothered me because that is my home defense rifle.

Never had any problems with centerfire revolver rounds.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
The simple fact is, YOU DON'T KNOW exactly what, when, and how your carry ammunition could be compromised.

QFT....and since we don't know, maybe we all should do like Wild Bill Hickock & shoot up our carry ammo from the back porch every morning....I'm sure Mike will cover our ammo costs.... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 11:09:03 PM »
I'll be shooting through a mag of my carry ammo the next time I go to the range. Can't hurt.

I hope y'all had a good time bickering back and forth. If you'd been my two sons, I'd have made you hold hands and say nice things to each other. Be glad you aren't my offspring.

That said, this thread was NO WHERE NEAR as much fun as the light fixture thread. I think y'all are losing your touch.

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 11:24:39 PM »
You should probably have someone else fire that magazine for you. Bribe them with beverage.

That better?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 01:15:29 AM »
Second, my concern about the chambered round is less about the possibility of round set-back, and more about the rim getting chewed up too much.  I recall reading about this back in my younger shooting days pre-internet when I read the gun magazines.  And, I've noticed a roughness to the rim on some rounds I've chambered/ejected many times.  It may not be a big concern, but I am worried if a burr develops that keeps the round from properly engaging the extractor, or getting humg up because of the burr.
As someone who reloads .45ACP cases over and over and over and over until I lose them, I have trouble seeing this as any significant issue.  That's not to say that a rim couldn't theoretically get messed up enough to cause problems (I've seen that happen to rifle cases that get stuck in chambers and require a little extra persuasion to eject, for instance), just that it is one of the less likely failure points for a cartridge in anything resembling normal circumstances.

On the other hand, I've personally had premium defensive ammunition be set back through repeated re-chamberings enough to interfere with feeding and likely increase pressures beyond what is safe.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:03:48 AM by cordex »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »
Agreed. I've got some .45 ACP cases that I've reloaded at least 35-40 times. The headstamp has been ironed out of existence and the rim looks like it was chewed on by a dog, but that is essentially cosmetic and has had no effect at all on extraction or ejection.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 06:55:16 PM »
I change out ammo depending on season.  Penetration rounds for winter, HPs for summer, and save the older rounds for practice.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.