Author Topic: Buyer requested a paypal invoice: is this a scam?  (Read 5114 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Buyer requested a paypal invoice: is this a scam?
« on: October 11, 2013, 11:30:38 PM »
On another forum, I'm selling a bass amp (Ampeg B15s, dirt cheap if anyone here is interested). A guy said he was in NJ but worked for a local company, so he'd take it if I dropped it off and they'd send it in one of their shipments. Whatever, I've been in companies where being buddies with the freight guys gets you free shipping on stuff so not too suspicious. However, he then said he wasn't able to process a normal paypal payment so I needed to create an invoice? Sounds like a scam to me. I'm thinking either he sends me a faked "you've received funds that are on hold until you provide a shipping number" email (which seems to be the common thing) or just deny he ever received it and since I dropped it off I'd have no proof.

Like I said I'm %99 sure it's a scam, but before I report him and hopefully get him banned I wanted to check with the hive mind.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Buyer requested a paypal invoice: is this a scam?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 12:13:41 AM »
Anytime a remote buyer requests anything wierd it's usually a scam.  If he's willing to send the money by paypal before you drop it off, then I'd go ahead with the deal.  Otherwise assume scam.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 12:17:06 AM »
Oh, and if you do that, print off a copy of the email/PM where he told who/where/when for the drop off, and make the guy recieving it sign/date it saying the item was received as instructed.
Formerly sumpnz

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 04:00:35 AM »
I have an advertiser who asks that I invoice him. He then pays the invoice in a few days, but it takes 5 days before his check clears. Don't know why he wants it this way, but he's being with me for a couple of years.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 08:45:06 AM »
Got to say it, "Money talks, B.S. walks!"
"If in doubt, DON'T"
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Buyer requested a paypal invoice: is this a scam?
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 08:55:29 AM »
have a couple clients that require invoices. they claum the acct. wants em

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »
Ask him to send you a postal money order.  When you have that, ship.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »
If you have to ask...

Any Craigslist deal that is not "here is cash" and "here is <item>" in the same instant is a scam.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »
Sounds fishy.  It is a no brainer to establish a paypal account.  Tell him to send a POSTAL money order.  Always use a US post office money order.  That way you can go against them if something nasty happens....chris3

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »
I've requested CoD to his agent, since he's refusing to do a postal money order. Not sure what his problem is, people have lots of weird requirements that make no sense sometimes. As long as I get my cash in a way that can't be taken away then I don't really care what his problem is. We'll see.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »
"since he's refusing to do a postal money order."

You have all of the proof you need.

100% SCAM.

As likely as not you'll be asked to drop the amp off somewhere and you'll get your skull cracked.

Back the hell out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 03:10:56 PM »
It's odd. He wants to do the meet at a real local business, that has a real office in NJ where he claims to live. I've contact info for the guy here in WA who will be accepting the amp on his behalf. But he wants a photocopy of my driver's license? What the hell?

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
It almost sounds to me like this is one of those scenarios where you each are thinking the other is a scammer.   Yes, he has had a couple of weird requests, but he's looking at your money order request and saying "yeah, I give this guy a MO, and I can kiss it goodbye...."  You're looking at his odd request going.....  "This feels like it could be a scam".....

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
. . . But he wants a photocopy of my driver's license? What the hell?
So a third party (the guy who's accepting the amp) WANTS YOUR ID? Does he think you're that stupid or gullible?  :facepalm:

You said you're selling the amp "dirt cheap" . . . tell me, for the relatively few bucks you'd be getting, do you really NEED to jump through these hoops with questionable people?

I've walked away from deals that were less suspicious.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
I would back to hell out as well, but if you are going to go through with it make sure to take armed backup.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »
So a third party (the guy who's accepting the amp) WANTS YOUR ID? Does he think you're that stupid or gullible?  :facepalm:

You said you're selling the amp "dirt cheap" . . . tell me, for the relatively few bucks you'd be getting, do you really NEED to jump through these hoops with questionable people?

I've walked away from deals that were less suspicious.

Right Arm! I'd say this yahoo doesn't really want it all that bad.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 05:03:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm done with this. Too much weirdness. Unfortunate as I need the money, but not that bad.