Author Topic: Family sized tent recommendations?  (Read 5111 times)

Ron

Re: Family sized tent recommendations?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
Make sure you post a trail report once you get out and use all this new gear!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 09:35:12 AM »
Will do, I'm going to use the new tent on my Crappie weekend in May, it usually storms like hell one of the nights.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 11:12:57 AM »
So I spent three nights in my new tent last weekend (Kelty Pagoda 6), it didn't rain but we had 30 mph gust all weekend.

The tent barely moved in the wind, for a big tent it is well built!  It is so big you could probably have 8 people sleep in it. Nice big vestible that has room for the dog's kennel without touching any sides of the fly.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 11:48:12 AM »
The tent barely moved in the wind, for a big tent it is well built!  It is so big you could probably have 8 people sleep in it. Nice big vestible that has room for the dog's kennel without touching any sides of the fly.

Good to know.

I like Kelty products, great bang for the buck!

As an aside in case you aren't up on these things.

Don't let the fly sit in the sun for extended periods of time, it ruins the material and over time will lead to leaks. I treat my fly with Nikwax spray to keep the water beading nicely. That isn't what makes a fly waterproof but it helps keep the material from wetting out.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 11:54:20 AM »
I already knew UV rays are hard on tents.  I didn't know about the Nikwax, does it leave a greasy feeling sticky film?

I always try to set up in a spot that is shaded most of the day. I refuse to stay in campgrounds with no shade, unless there is no option.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2007, 11:57:47 AM »
does it leave a greasy feeling sticky film?

No film, don't even know it's there after it dries.

Oddly the Nikwax I have isn't really a wax and says it is OK to use on leather boots which I have done also.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2007, 12:44:21 AM »
Your story sounds similar to mine.

I used to camp in a small two person hiking tent.  I did so for years, and it was fine.

Yeah, not for my wife.  We have this:  A LL Bean tent, the King Pine Dome Tent, #4

It fits all of your criteria (except it is 24lbs).  We have been in it during a driving rain storm, nary a problem.

It sets up easily, has a screen house for dirty shoes, dogs to roam, is stand-up-able....a nice (yuppie) tent.  If you get overly obnoxious, it will also fit 2 of their cots in it.  I'm embarrasssed about it, so please don't ask how I know... grin

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=53082&sc1=Search&feat=sr
One day at a time.