Author Topic: GPS?  (Read 2715 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
GPS?
« on: December 30, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »
I admit it, I'm a technical Luddite. Don't know anything about GPS, but my wife is always getting herself lost and that's a problem because her English isn't all that good, so if she has to ask for directions she can't easily explain where she came from or where she needs to get to. Our adopted daughter agrees with me that Mom needs a GPS.

Last I knew, I had only heard of Garmin and Magellan, and the ones I knew about were the hand-helds with topo maps, for hiking and so forth. I gather that there is now an entirely new class of GPS units specifically for road navigation -- and a new (?) player on the block named TomTom.

So ... which is best? Who uses GPS, what do you use, what's good about it and what are your gripes or "I wish it would ..." list?

TIA
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: GPS?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:30:04 PM »
From your description of who will use it and how it will be used, don't worry about which one is best. The Garmin Nuvis, Magellans, and Tom Toms will all get you from point A to point B. Since you haven't used any of them and become accustomed to navigating a particular menu (they're all different), one is just as good as another. Go to Amazon and get whichever one you can get the best deal on. It's sounding like you don't care about Bluetooth integration, voice recognition, MP3s, or any other add ons, so you can get something pretty cheap.

Any of these manufacturer's vehicle GPS units will get you to your destination 98% of the time as long as you input the address correctly. All of them will generally get you there efficiently 50% of the time. Meaning they'll always find their way to a location, but not always by the most efficient route. If you use one in your hometown, you'll often think, "Why is it wanting me to go down Main St when Maple is way faster with less traffic lights?" But if you're in an unfamiliar area, getting to your destination is likely more important than getting there by the absolutely best route, and all of them will do that for you.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »
Unless you use a GPS professionally (i.e. as a taxi driver, for example) or for a hobby where accuracy is paramount, practically every model will do. In fact modern smartphones usually have GPS in them. iPhone 4S and Motorla Razr have combo GPS/GLONASS, which is probably going to succeed regular GPS at least in phones.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
I've been very happy with these:
http://www.ecost.com/p/Garmin-International-Telephony/product~dpno~7888434~pdp.fhabaea

And if you catch model 265W on sale, it has a traffic reports receiver built in to the power plug, with a lifetime subscription.
"It's good, though..."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »
So ... which is best? Who uses GPS, what do you use, what's good about it and what are your gripes or "I wish it would ..." list?

TIA

I use Google Maps and Google Navigator on my HTC Thunderbolt cell phone. Has never failed me yet, and is handy for not having to type in addresses.  Click on it on a web browser, email or txt, and get directions to location. Comes free with the phone.

For wish... uh.  Uhm.  Sub <1m accuracy would be nice ? But not physically capable with standard equipment.  10cm or less accuracy survey equipment took up part of the cargo space of a HMMWV.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 02:00:15 PM »
It may also behoove you to find one that includes your wife's native language among the options.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 02:01:48 PM »
I use Google Maps and Google Navigator on my HTC Thunderbolt cell phone. Has never failed me yet, and is handy for not having to type in addresses.  Click on it on a web browser, email or txt, and get directions to location. Comes free with the phone.

For wish... uh.  Uhm.  Sub <1m accuracy would be nice ? But not physically capable with standard equipment.  10cm or less accuracy survey equipment took up part of the cargo space of a HMMWV.

Google Nav is definitely the way to go. It's what I use too, but it sounds like Hawkmoon doesn't have a smartphone.

I get 10cm with the Trimble XR sitting on the shelf in my office, but I look like a dork walking around with a backpack and antenna sticking up above my head, so stick to my phone. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
I've been very satisfied with this TomTom:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B3P2BK/ref=oh_o06_s00_i00_details

$80 delivered from Amazon.  It has lifetime map upgrades, the mount will attach to the dash (attaching to the windshield will get you a ticket in California), and there is a voice that will announce street names etc.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
I've been using GPS for about 20 years. For the occasional use, phone based systems are fine as long as you have a cell signal. If you need to find directions to Wal-Mart or Starbucks when you are two states away from home and may not have a cell signal, Garmin or Tom-Tom are good. If you plan on going off the beaten path or over open water, Lowrance is by far the best. The brand new Garmin my mom got for christmas does not have the accuracy or speed of my 15 year old Lowrance Globlamap.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 02:38:44 PM »
I've been using GPS for about 20 years. For the occasional use, phone based systems are fine as long as you have a cell signal.

Actually that's only true if you're using Google Nav or similar. If you use something like Orux Maps, it works directly off your phone's GPS. I use a Google Earth basemap running in Orux on my phone all the time for a portable cockpit awareness device when we're flying over open ocean well past any cell towers.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »
Actually that's only true if you're using Google Nav or similar. If you use something like Orux Maps, it works directly off your phone's GPS. I use a Google Earth basemap running in Orux on my phone all the time for a portable cockpit awareness device when we're flying over open ocean well past any cell towers.

I thought the Assisted GPS chips require a 3G connection to do their calculations?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 02:57:25 PM »
I thought the Assisted GPS chips require a 3G connection to do their calculations?

I can tell you neither my EVO, nor my coworkers Droid need it. I have a year's worth of correlated tracklines to confirm it. The GPS chips should work the same as those on stuff like the Xoom and iPad, which a lot of pilots are using for Air Nautical Chart displays.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »
I can't quite figure why have a smartphone and a dedicated GPS unit, but I know plenty of people who do. However, as someone mid-road-trip, I'm gaining insight.  

Ended up somehow with the wrong addy auto-completed during the course of multiple refreshes and switching between apps. That's mostly a function of ditzy + driving with kids + bad weather, but with a dedicated unit it can just sit there and do its thing.

After ending up at the wrong address, figured out how to get where I was going via phone + Google maps. Apple iPhone lets me do this, but I understand a lot of smartphones can't talk and think at the same time. Of course speakerphone in a car is of limited utility. Dedicated units are handy for multi-tasking.

Even absent ditziness and kiddos, a dash-mounted unit has got to be safer in a forty-mile-across near-white-out "flurry".

I realize this wasn't the question  posed, just eh, mid road trip. Viva la thread drift!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »
I'm a firm believer that anyone who can't find their way around without GPS needs to be locked up in a safe place so they don't hurt themselves  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »
It may also behoove you to find one that includes your wife's native language among the options.

True.

Spanish -- should not be a problem. (??)

Quote from: Ben
Google Nav is definitely the way to go. It's what I use too, but it sounds like Hawkmoon doesn't have a smartphone.

Not only do I not have a smart phone (nor want one), she doesn't -- and we just re-upped her cellular for a new two-year contract, so a smart phone is not on the radar.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 05:44:49 PM »
I'm a firm believer that anyone who can't find their way around without GPS needs to be locked up in a safe place so they don't hurt themselves  :P

I have mine mounted and running 90% of the time.  Even going back and forth to work.  I find value in being able to glance at it and get a very good estimate of my arrival time.  I also like being able to "see over walls".  That is, as I drive down the street it shows the streets on the other side of the block walls that are all over this town.  I've found a few shortcuts with that x-ray vision.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 07:24:26 PM »
I have mine mounted and running 90% of the time.  Even going back and forth to work.  I find value in being able to glance at it and get a very good estimate of my arrival time.  I also like being able to "see over walls".  That is, as I drive down the street it shows the streets on the other side of the block walls that are all over this town.  I've found a few shortcuts with that x-ray vision.

DD

So it's a helpful convenience, but you could get around without it - right?   ;)

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »
The gps eliminated "which way is best?" Arguments from family travels

I can dead recon my way across most cities and states but my wife has to know where we are going. I just need to know where we were and where we want to end up. The middle stuff I take as it comes. No stoping to look at maps anymore, in fact I like using it to recon alternate paths.
I now know that that back road way into our valley only adds 15 minutes of travel time, someday I might need to roll that way in a storm.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »
So it's a helpful convenience, but you could get around without it - right?   ;)

Dood.  I was a Boy Scout.  All I need is a stick to poke in the ground.   =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 08:11:46 PM »
have several  i like the nuvi for what i do though my magellan is better for my wife
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 08:54:52 PM »

Agreed.....and having the ability to add a memory chip can help with storing extra maps and direction-voices is a good thing, too....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 09:49:59 AM »
I can't quite figure why have a smartphone and a dedicated GPS unit,

I live in an area without 3G coverage. There is no downloading/updating Google maps on the fly when you have no data coverage.

It's also nice to keep a cheap GPS unit in the car for those times when you have to go places and need to find your way around an unfamilar area.

I prefer Garmin GPS units, by the way.

You do need to make sure she completely understands the limitations of GPS units. The map databases aren't always the most accurate. Construction changes, mistakes made during the map survey, and so on lead to innacurracies. Make sure she understands to cross-reference the GPS with a paper map to make sure the route makes sense. Sometimes the GPS unit will also figure out odd routes when you'd really want to stick to another route.

GPS car units aren't perfect, but to me they are a great tool if you understand your limitations. They are excellent for keeping track of exits and city driving, IMHO, and for going through areas with confusing/non-existant road signage.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 10:06:12 AM »
FWIW, and I don't know your budget;

I used the portable GPS's for several years before the radio in my Cobra died.  Then I bought an older Pioneer Nav/Stereo.  The built-in-to-the-car units are WAY better then the smaller portable units.  They integrate the directions into the sound-system so you GPS isn't trying to shout over your tunes. They have bigger screens. They usually have better processors for faster tracking.  They are MUCH less likely to cause a smash and grab in a parking garage. (A real problem here in Tampa, don't know about your locality).  And are overall more effective and user friendly.

Of course they're more expensive and complicated to install too.  But I'd at least look at the costs of some.   I did the install myself, but the unit (factory refurb), wiring harness, vehicle specific mount, iPod input cable, and video input cable set me back about $500.  If you don't want iPod and video you can knock about $75 off that.  After several years with my AVIC, I'm never going back to windshield mounted units. (nor will I pay what carmakers want for built in NAV, but that's another thread)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 10:51:09 AM »
The gps eliminated "which way is best?" Arguments from family travels

If you follow the GPS recommendation out in our neighborhood, you will go down a dead end private road that has been closed by the landowners on both ends.

You may even meet a long haired bearded mountaineer with a shotgun  :O