Author Topic: So tell me about boots...  (Read 8468 times)

Kyle

So tell me about boots...
« on: November 06, 2006, 08:39:25 PM »
I made an impulse purchase tonight.

I do blue-collar work in the summer and winter semester breaks and occassionaly help on my friend's dad's ranch and so on. When I started doing work like this I soon found out that tennis shoes/sneakers dont cut it.

I went through a pair of hand-me-down boots really quick (they were already worn out) and bought a pair of cheap Brazos from Academy. I wore them for a while, but they were really uncomfortable. I gave them a chance, thinking they would break in but they just started to hurt my feet more.

I heard somewhere that cowboy/western boots are really comfortable, so I was driving by Cavanders and stopped in. I walked out with a pair of boots.

I bought them because they are ridiculously comfortable and look nice enough to wear around in non-work situations. I do not know much about feet, but I think the arch that comes from the heel (the heel is like 1.5 inches) supports my foot like nothing else or somthing. They are not fancy, with a lot of stitching or anything, but they are definatly "cowboy"

They are Ariat brand. I got brown, because I like brown. I am thinking of getting some black ones too, though.

The thing is I can tell a new shooter the pros and cons of of certain brands/designs of guns. Same goes for straight razors, jeans, political science researchers/writers, and so on. I can tell my friends still in high school which Texas colleges are good for which majors.

But I dont know a thing about boots. So say I was to buy another pair. I like the ones I got, but what else should I look for? Which brands are good? Is elephant more durable than cowhide? What to look for, what to avoid?

(edit)

Also, since they go up to nearly mid-calf, what kind of socks to wear?

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
Re: So tell me about boots...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 09:16:39 PM »
I do believe Ariat boots are fine.  I've also had good luck with Dan Post, but they might be different nowadays.  Tony Lama makes great high-heeled boots too.

For real work boots though, only one brand will do.  Red Wings.

http://www.redwingshoe.com/
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 10:09:58 PM »
I have a hunch boots are a lot like shirts: far too much variation for advice to be worth much.

If I wanted truly comfortable boots, for example, I'd want them to have laces, and they'd doubtless be ugly. I have some fairly dressy cowboy-style boots with heels and pointy toes that aren't very comfortable, but look right on some occasions.

That said", I've to admit I'm still wearing the exact same style, size, and colors of Bass penny loafers I first started wearing as a boy of twelve, so taking style advice from me is probably a risky proposition.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 01:47:57 AM »
Like Standing Wolf said, for work boots they need laces. I have a pair of Justin Ropers which are very sturdy and comfortable. I doubt I'll ever wear them out. Can't go wrong with Red Wings either.
For western (cowboy) boots, see if you can try some Noconas. Mine fit like a glove and, although they have the slanted heel, are quite comfortable to walk around in.

As you found out, real boots (as opposed to fashion boots) cost some money. High quality boots will probably be in the $150- $250 range. That is for the basics; if you want fancy, start adding $$$.
Socks? Over-the-calf for sure.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 03:00:42 AM »
I started wearing "cowboy shoes" about sixty-some years ago.  I've always liked the pointy toed, "roach killer" style, but you really have to pay attention to the fit so you don't cramp your toes.  One thing about a riding heel is that they make for less fatigue when driving for long distances.  The angle is just right for resting your foot on the gas pedal instead of having to push on it.

FWIW, I don't recall ever seeing a round-toed cowboy boot when I was a kid.  All the ranchers at the livestock auctions wore pointy toed boots.  Granted, for "off the shelf", it's easier to find a good fit with the rounded toe style.

Just "out and about" in the brush here at home or when working around the garage or on the backhoe, I generally wear a 10" Wellington-style.  I don't like a waffle-stomper sole, preferring a rather soft compound with no or little tread.  For serious cross-country hunting, I like the Russell Bird Hunter boots, or the Red Wing "Twenty Mile" boots.  10" is plenty good.  I've worn these since back around the late 1960s.  The smooth, crepe sole is quiet; lets me play "Sneaky Snake" when messing with Bambi.

The height of the sock doesn't seem to be important, so much as the thickness.  It's better that a boot be a wee tad loose when new and when wearing a standard sock or a thin sock.  You can always use thicker socks when the boots are broken in, if they feel a bit too loose then.  Thicker socks are best with a boot in which you're gonna do a lot of standing or walking.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 03:19:21 AM »
I like the Justin Ropers. I only use them for riding though. Thing I didn't like was muck water gettin' in em through the seams. Ewwww...  cheesy

I normally wear the Eastern Mountain Sports mountain hikers. The ones made in Italy, you have to look inside to make sure. Just look on the display for the most expensive ones. They're worth it though. They're like 15 oz, very light, very well made and will last a long time if the upper is treated regularly. They can be resoled too as long as the upper isn't dry rotted.

So I'd wear my EMS to get Mr. Horse and then swap to the ropers to ride him.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ron

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 03:27:30 AM »
I have worn Red Wing boots for years. They are all I buy for work.

Your boots are just another tool to make the job easier, I don't skimp on my tools.

Been wearing "Smartwool" socks lately also.

I bought the socks for backpacking and found that they do an amazing job of wicking moisture away from my feet.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 04:49:41 AM »
If you are buying them for work, you can find them at Redwing.

I own two pair, one of which has been resoled.  I will soon acquire another pair.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 05:58:09 AM »
Ariat makes a good boot. I've owned two pair in the last 5 years.  I have a long, narrow foot and in my opinion the Ariat laceups are ok.  I purchased a pair of Red Wings this past spring which I haven't fully broken in yet, although they've seen a good deal of wear.

As far as cowboy boots, I get mine made at M. L. Leddy's in Ft. Worth.  Aforementioned foot is a 12 AA and is flat/no arch. Either I go barefoot or wear a decent shoe or boot.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 06:52:54 AM »
I've had this pair of Corcoran jump boots for 5 years now, and I'm about to get them resoled.

Comfy and bullet-proof.

I'd like a pair of Danners.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 06:53:16 AM »
Everyone's foot is different - Adidas actually used to make (past tense) a sturdy hiking boot that I found was very comfortable, and when I hunted up North, Browning Waterproofs were my choice . . . unless I was out in really cold weather, in which case I moved to Lacrosse boots with a separate liner.

IMHO the TRUE test of a boot is how comfortable it remains when you're walking a fair distance in hilly areas.

(I won't comment about men's elf boots with pointy toes, high heels, and any possible connection to Brokeback Mountain.  Nope - won't comment at all. Not one word. grin )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 09:09:26 AM »
My problem with Redwing is that they don't make a model to my specs.  I like demand a Vibram, Roccia-pattern sole, on an 8 or 9-inch logger boot with no insulation and preferably without a steel toe.  Brown is also a near-requirement, as I am not in the military anymore and prefer not to wear black boots.

Redwing doesn't seem to catalog that, and those are hard to find in stores from other suppliers.  Anybody know why?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 09:49:48 AM »
fistful:
Good luck with that list of requirements.

Having done some logging, I can appreciate why a logging boot would have a steel toe.  Having done the logging in the summer in Arkanasas, I can appreciate not wanting insulation.

Also, I own only black boots, leahter shoes, and belts.  That way, I don't mis-match anything.  Or have to buy brown, cordovan, gray, or white shoe polish.

I am somewhat at a loss as to the specific Vibram "roccia-pattern" sole requirement.  It is not much different from the standard logger sole.

http://www.redwingshoe.com/

Logger/Lineman Boots:
http://www.redwingshoe.com/ProductResults.aspx?Query=&ProductType=Work%20Boots&SubType=Logger/Lineman

Vibram Logger Sole as Found on Redwing Boots:

Vibram Roccia Sole:
http://www.vibram.us/products/products.asp?Product=Lifestyle#

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 12:15:54 PM »
Ariats are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned, and I've owned two pair, but the inner padding let go in just a few months and they couldn't be fixed.

I wear Farm & Ranch boots by Georgia Boot.  They're called Durango in the west, but Georgia in the south.  I buy two pairs when they are on sale, and retire the old pairs to weekend duty.  Alternate boots every other day and they'll last much longer.

I now have four pairs that are in pretty good shape, so I may just have them resoled this time.  The soles last about two years, the uppers, probably five years.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 01:47:38 PM »
Another vote for Red Wing in the ultra-durable-plus-comfy category.

In my case it's not a matter of preference as much as it is a lack of options. Red Wing is the only boot I can get - short of customs - that area available in my "H" width. Yes, I have duck feet. The widest part of my foot is at the tips of my toes, not at the ball like most folks. It's a pain finding shoes.

I get both my work/play boots and dress shoes from RW.

The boots are ankle-high hiking/work boots that I wear pretty much any time I'm not in a suit and tie. The dress shoes are actually their warehouse shoes with the solid leather uppers and rubber soles. They look like hell from a dress standpoint but they fit and wear like iron.

I used to go through a set of dress shoes and everyday boots every year. I got myself a new pair of each for my birthday every January. I never wore out the soles, I literally walked the rest of the shoe apart. I've had this pair of RW dress shoes for five years and they are just beginning to show enough wear that a coat of polish won't cover up. The boots I bought the first Christmas after my divorce. That was seven years ago. Aside from a liberal slathering in mink oil every spring and fall they haven't been touched. They are just beginning to show enough wear that I'm considering replacing them.

As for cowboy boots, bullhide is about as tough as it gets for everyday use. If you go custom you can get buffalo, but it's stiff as heck and takes forever to break in.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 01:54:51 PM »
They're also called Georgia here in Missouri.

jfru, I said Rocia-pattern, because I am not that specific about it.  I think there are several soles of that type, with variations in depth of tread, one or two piece heel, etc.  I've never done any professional logging, although my Dad heats soley with wood, so I've done some splitting and so-forth.  I doubt that much of the logger market is doing any logging either, so we can do without the weight or other drawbacks of the steel toe. 

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 03:09:55 PM »
I love my Danners.  I currently have a pair of Super Rainforests.  I just screw in studs for the winter. 

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 03:16:35 PM »
The Belleville boots I was issued for Iraq were fantastic. Steel toed, but extremely confortable.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 03:57:48 PM »
Cosmoline, I never want to see your legs again.  Is that clear?   
shocked sad undecided angry police

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 05:10:27 PM »
You sure?  Not even my calves of thunder?

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 07:00:08 AM »
Ariat boots are good for work and dress.  I wouldn't call them 'court' boots for the dressup occasions but for casual they are fine.

Durability - If you are working construction and doing farm/ranch work I would recommend Justin 'Packers'.  Im not sure thats the name, but thats what we have always called them. They are a high lacing, riding heeled, all leather work boot.  My brother has had the same pair for 5 years, resoled 2x.  He does ranch work and concrete/demolitions and wears the boots for all of that.

Comfort - Individual basis really.  I have flat feet, so Tony Lama or Nocona, with the steel shank from the heel to the toe makes me feel like I am walking on a pencil.  I prefer Ariat or Justin, low heels not flat, all leather with a spur ledge and bull hide on the heel, boots.  They are sturdy for what I do and I can get slip ons or laceups depending on the choices.  For dress boots and comfort to go together, unless you are lucky and have the ability to buy 'off the rack', custom boots are what you need, but they are $$$$$.

Styling - You can get low heeled, riding heeled, laceups, slipons, round toe, flat toe, pointed round and Arts cockroach killers.  Depends on what you like.  Most work boots will be round toe.  My dress boots are point round, I cant kill anything in a corner with them but they are comfortable.  There is the upper styling too.  Are you going to Buckaroo functions where you will be wearing your jeans tucked into the tops?  If not, don't pay any attention to the uppers decorations.

I can go on and on about boots, having designed my custom ones and sold them for a few years too.  But this should be enough.

auschip

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 08:51:09 AM »
For everyday wear, I like Rios of Mercedes boots. 

But for rough areas, a pair of Justin workboots have served me well. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 08:55:01 AM »
Slick-soled cockroach-stompers.  Tongue

auschip

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 09:09:44 AM »
Comfortable Slick-soled cockroach-stompers.  Tongue

Fixed.  Plus, there isn't much ice in Austin, slick sole works fine for me.   grin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 10:09:52 AM »
How about mud?  Smooth pavement?  Wet grass on an incline?  I know you have those. 

For me, boots have to lace up to be comfortable.  Too loose, otherwise.  I'm funny like that.