Author Topic: Gear colors, and other adiophora  (Read 1458 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Gear colors, and other adiophora
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 05:09:33 PM »
This thread is about the non-essential qualities that you prefer, or don't prefer, in your chattels (or for that matter, your stationary stuff). As an example, I've started buying pocket knives with dark green or olive drab handles, and I'll even pay a little extra for my IWB kydex holster to be some flavor of brown, tan, coyote, FDE, or similar.

I'd guess most of you will say you don't care. As long as it works, you don't much care what it looks like, and why do you care about the color of your concealed, IWB holster, fistful? Point taken, but some of us care, for whatever reason.

Currently shopping for a daypack type backpack.  Practical stuff seems to veer towards the faux tactical look, which I kind of want to avoid.  Grey man thing, you know.   <scowl>.  (I'm also picky are regards to features.)

The other ways appearance seems to go is 1)childish, or 2) "metro effete".  <scowl>

I'm coming to hate shopping online blindly, having to slog through feature lists and specs and reviews that are probably ignorant, bought and paid for, or lies.   Welcome to the Internet.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 05:20:07 PM »
Currently shopping for a daypack type backpack.  Practical stuff seems to veer towards the faux tactical look, which I kind of want to avoid.  Grey man thing, you know.   <scowl>.  (I'm also picky are regards to features.)

The other ways appearance seems to go is 1)childish, or 2) "metro effete".  <scowl>

I'm coming to hate shopping online blindly, having to slog through feature lists and specs and reviews that are probably ignorant, bought and paid for, or lies.   Welcome to the Internet.

The only tacticool item I use regularly is a SOG daypack that my kids bought me for my birthday a few years back. Its very nice, lots of pockets, a place to put my spare glasses and ipad when I'm out and about.

https://www.amazon.com/SOG-Ninja-Tactical-24-2-Liter-Black/dp/B0131S86O4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536614188&sr=8-4&keywords=sog%2Bbackpack&th=1
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 05:21:26 PM »
The only tacticool item I use regularly is a SOG daypack that my kids bought me for my birthday a few years back. Its very nice, lots of pockets, a place to put my spare glasses and ipad when I'm out and about.

https://www.amazon.com/SOG-Ninja-Tactical-24-2-Liter-Black/dp/B0131S86O4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536614188&sr=8-4&keywords=sog%2Bbackpack&th=1

That's actually one I'm looking at.  Farm store here has them for ~$30.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 06:28:07 PM »

If there's an LL Bean store near you, it's worth a trip to check out their pack selection.   We got the oldest his backpack for college at Bean.  Swear that pack could haul more than my framed pack, except the sleeping bag.  Only thing tactical about it was the color (black) which was required for ROTC uniform regs.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 11:37:05 PM »
I'll just leave this here...

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 12:40:44 AM »
I just used some birthday money to snag one of these:

Not a premium steel, but seems like a good knife. I've never been one for bling, but I think the goldy-lookin' liners look nice. I've never really had a good flipper, or a knife with ball bearings.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife