Author Topic: 'Green' Energy Source a Major Polluter  (Read 5334 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: 'Green' Energy Source a Major Polluter
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007, 11:03:59 AM »
I'm not a big fan of E10, either.  Those particular engines aren't optimized to make use of the EToH in the blend.  Problem is E85 cannot be piped to the pumps, it has to be trucked, so the E85 pumps aren't far from the distilleries.  That means E85 isn't popular in non-corn states, and probably does need mandates and subsidies when the local market doesn't support it. I can't see Texas and other arid states getting on board with it, at least not until cellulosic EToH kicks in in the not-too-distant future. I see that Florida is working on using palmetto as the feedstock, more power to them, I hate that stuff.  Maybe somebody can do the same with kudzu?

Mind you, I'm a "fuelie" from way back in my brother's and my Mopar Hemi days.  As a kid, my old John Deere Model B ran on kerosene in the front main tank, with a smaller rear gasoline tank for starting.  My dad and I played with all sorts of combinations in that front tank, with results ranging from dismal to surprisingly good.

Likewise, when I built a go-kart with Continental engine at 12 years old, my dad rationed my gasoline usage.  (I was a terror on that thing)  My kid sister got her ears pierced, and received several bottles of isopropyl rubbing alcohol to keep things sterile. She didn't need it all, and the more she used, the more Mom bought her.  I liked the neat blue flame that came out of my go-kart's exhaust. 

If I can figure out how to re-jet my Shovelhead XLH, and swap out the rubber fuel lines with stainless, I'll run E85 in that, too.  The compression is high enough to make things very interesting.

My next-door neighbor drives an older Volvo diesel.  He's got a sweetheart deal with a local restaurant, and gets their waste cooking oil for free.  Considering how popular Friday fish fries are here, I'm considering finding a pet restaurant myself, and an older Mercedes or Volvo diesel.  Again, not the solution for everybody, but I'll do my part to make sure that big SUV drivers don't run short.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2007, 12:39:47 PM »
My next-door neighbor drives an older Volvo diesel.  He's got a sweetheart deal with a local restaurant, and gets their waste cooking oil for free.
Be sure you pay your fuel taxes.
See;
Driver ticketed for using biofuel
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=7441.0

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2007, 01:37:37 PM »
More commentary about corn:

We just drove our annual dodge-em car trip from FL to ME, wrote a well-traveled reader, and every roadside field, no matter how large or small, in every state, was planted with corn. Raccoons will prosper and multiply. Never seen anything like it. No more cotton plants. No more other veggies. They've gone nutz with this stuff.

My husband read recently that ethanol fuel alcohols are eating fiberglass fuel tanks and any plastic bearings or parts in boats, etc. If the fiberglass is replaced with aluminum, it starts working on that, as well. If it's true -- what a boondoggle!

Anyhow, I'm not knocking anybody here.  To me, it's the national brouhaha to the effect that somehow ethanol is the Grand Savior against Evil OPEC or whatever.  Proponents have NOT been looking beyond ethanol as fuel; nothing about the inefficiencies of capital investment or effects on other corn products.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2007, 02:51:31 PM »
My husband read recently that ethanol fuel alcohols are eating fiberglass fuel tanks and any plastic bearings or parts in boats, etc. If the fiberglass is replaced with aluminum, it starts working on that, as well. If it's true -- what a boondoggle!

I read an article awhile back how buying and running vintage wooden yachts and motorboats is a big deal for rich east-coast elites. Only problem is that the ethanol in the gasoline leaches the resins out of the fiberglass tanks and deposits them in the engine resulting in 10s of thousands of $$s in repairs.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 04:22:33 PM »
Ethanol doesn't like rubber, plastic or resin.  That's been known for years, and it's why E85 dual-fuel vehicles have stainless steel fuel pathways, same as the top-fuel dragsters.

Dunno why it's such a surprise to the boat people.   undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2007, 05:04:38 PM »
There is a lot of stuff that's known, and has been known for decades, but the knowledge is not widespread.  Racers and hot-rodders learned about all manner of fuel combinations, but that doesn't mean that the side effects are known to "the world at large".

"Unintended Consequences" is more than just a book title for gun-guys...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.