Author Topic: Fiber optic service - it's in the timing  (Read 920 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Fiber optic service - it's in the timing
« on: August 07, 2023, 08:40:08 PM »
Spectrum contractors have been around the neighborhood for weeks, actually driving across my yard & performing work on the power poles at either side of the yard, stringing fiber optic cable.  Received a notice in the mail today they're ready to go.  They ask that I respond by 9/2/23.

We're currently under a 2 year contract with Dish for satellite internet & TV.  DW checked, our contract expires 8/31/23.

I've gone from dialup, to DSL, to cable, lastly to satellite.  Satellite sucks.  Almost as bad as dialup.

We're considering bundling internet, TV & home phone with Spectrum.  Anyone got good or bad experiences with them?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Fiber optic service - it's in the timing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 06:52:41 AM »
Don't know anything about Spectrum, but I do know that fiber optic internet (I have Verizon FIOS) is the absolute tits.

I'm going to be dropping FIOS TV and phone, but keeping the internet, and going with TV streaming service. FIOS TV has just gotten way too expensive.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 07:12:28 AM »
I would compare the price of their bundle vs internet only from them, then phone through Vonage if you really need a land-line, and TV through YouTube live or whichever streaming service has the channels you need.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 07:15:12 AM »
We've been very happy with our fiber service from our rural telephone cooperative.  They offer phone and they used to offer TV service but I don't think they do any longer.  We've never had anything but internet from them but have been very happy with the service.

I've had experience with Spectrum's cable internet and it is like any other residential cable internet - highly dependent on the regional infrastructure and neighbor's usage, but largely reliable and hopefully you never need support because that's a chore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 11:00:32 AM »
I just switched from DSL to the lowest fiber option with Comcast.  The Comcast speed is much faster. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 02:52:27 PM »
My main gripe with Spectrum is that they keep raising the rates.  This last go around the rate for the most basic internet service jumped $20/month.  They told me that was because our special introductory rate had expired.  We weren't on a special introductory rate.  Lying jackwagons.  And we just received notice that rates are going up again.  They claim it's to recover revenue lost from the 2.0 cord cutters.
MetroNet is installing fiber in our town.  They are slated to hit our neighborhood between now and the end of next year.  They can't give me a closer estimate because they are working the whole city and many of the outlying areas including ours.  I've already pre-registered for their service when it finally arrives in my neighborhood.  We're dropping Spectrum like a hot rock when fiber goes live.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 07:51:43 PM »
SWMBO just got off the phone with Spectrum.  Install is Tues, we keep our existing home phone number & might loose ready access to one channel I like (Comet, but it's on Roku).  We're starting with the 300Mbps service, I doubt we'll need anything faster.

All in all, after the 1 year intro pricing, we'll still be saving a bit north of $200/month. 

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 09:36:24 PM »
Before they were "Spectrum", they were Charter Cable.  Before that, they were Continental Cablevision.  I used to be with Continental and Charter for several years.  Yes, their rates go up frequently AND, if they don't actually raise your rates, they would drop at least 1 or 2 channels, THEN raise your rates a couple of months later as well.   [barf]

Past reviews had put "Charter" as having one of the WORST customer service records.  I don't know if it has improved.
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2023, 09:51:07 PM »
Maybe, just maybe, their customer service is improving.  In driving back and forth across the yard stringing the main line they've left numerous ruts.  I called them once regarding the ruts.  Since then they've called at least 4 times and two guys have come out (on different days) looking over the damage.  One to say "Yep, it's damaged" and the second to see what all will be required to repair.

They seem to be on top of that part of this at least.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2023, 06:33:43 PM »
Never really had a customer service issue with them. Always fixed issues promptly and can always get ahold of customer service.

Service is priced high as *expletive deleted*ck though. Everyone I know that has TV, internet and phone with them ends up paying $200-$250 a month. We have internet only with them and it’s $80 a month after being with them for 8 years now.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 07:38:57 AM »
"Everyone I know that has TV, internet and phone with them ends up paying $200-$250 a month"

My Verizon Fios triple play package is now $220 a month, and that's after a bunch of discounts.

Which is why I'm getting ready to cut service back to Fios internet only and get TV through Hulu. Not sure if I'll keep the home phone number as VOIP or not.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2023, 09:35:39 AM »
Our Comcast/Xfinity service for four TVs with a bunch of premium channels and 500 Mbps Internet via copper cable is about $ 270 per month. I have seen Ziply trucks stringing fiber in this area over the past few months.

When we moved into our house in July 2015, the same Comcast cable internet was at about 40 Mbps.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2023, 07:56:29 PM »
After the honeymoon period, the total cost is supposed to be around $230, depending on taxes & such.  Still gonna save over $200/mo for the separate services we have now.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2023, 10:59:39 PM »
K Frame - have you heard that "the Mouse" is jacking up all their prices, including Hulu?  :facepalm:  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2023, 07:37:20 AM »
K Frame - have you heard that "the Mouse" is jacking up all their prices, including Hulu?  :facepalm:  [barf]

Nope, haven't heard that, but I'm not surprised.

But it will still be cheaper for me to go with Hulu than to keep my Verizon triple play. And I'll get back a couple of channels that Verizon moved to a tier that would, were I to get it, push me damned close to $300 a month. Just for 2 channels. Screw you, Verizon. I have no interest in your "Bend over and squeal like a pig" package.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2023, 07:32:23 PM »
The installer just left.  I've got some work to do to finish the install - he doesn't run phone cable & there isn't a cable at the installation site.

Pros:  It's going to cost less; Internet access is quite a bit faster

Cons:  It's going to take a long time for one who doesn't care for change to get used to the new way of channel surfing.

Since we don't have a Samsung TV, our access to the Spectrum app is through the Roku.  We do have a voice activated controller for it, but haven't used it.  Scrolling through 1200+ channels to find the one I want sucks. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2023, 07:11:43 AM »
Just figured out I can save some money on my streaming package.

Because I'm with AT&T I get Max (formerly HBO Max) free.

I'll be able to dump the subscription I have to HBO and just go with the Max app on my TV.

All told, I'll end up saving nearly $100 a month over my FIOS.

Nice.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2023, 07:16:32 AM »
"Cons:  It's going to take a long time for one who doesn't care for change to get used to the new way of channel surfing."

Oddly enough, that is one of the biggest reasons I've not yet made the switch from FIOS TV to Hulu... I've had FIOS for so long that I have all of my favorite channel numbers memorized.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2023, 09:22:48 PM »
So far, their tech support is OK, but there's only been one problem.

There are two landline plugs (port 1 & port 2) on their modem.  Hooked up one phone (1 wireless set & 1 hardwired handset) to each port, then tested by dialing out.  The phone attached to port 1 worked fine; dialed out, connected & hung up.  The phone attached to port 2 dialed out, got a busy signal and would not disconnect.  Reset the modem and tested again, same results.  Reset modem, swapped phones & ports, same problem - the phone on port 2 wouldn't work.  Did a chat session with tech support, yep, seems like a hardware problem.  Have an appointment for a tech to check it out next Tues.  Maybe could have been faster service, but I'm not bitchin' about a few days wait.

Oh, and the guy who's to fix the ruts made by the line crew called today.  He's working on getting the dirt ordered (says it'll be topsoil, not just fill dirt) and will be out ASAP - no firm date though.