Author Topic: Army Orders Pain Ray Trucks; New Report Shows 'Potential for Death'  (Read 14988 times)

Zed

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/10/army-ordering-p.html

Army Orders Pain Ray Trucks; New Report Shows 'Potential for Death'

After years of testing, the Active Denial System -- the pain ray which drives off rioters with a microwave-like beam -- could finally have its day. The Army is buying five of the truck-mounted systems for $25 million. But the energy weapon may face new hurdles, before it's shipped off to the battlefield; a new report details how the supposedly non-lethal blaster could be turned into a flesh-frying killer.

The contract for the pain ray trucks is "expected to be awarded by year's end," Aviation Week notes. "A year after the contract is signed, the combination vehicle/weapons will start be fielded at the rate of one per month."

It's been a very long time coming. As we've previously reported, there have been calls to deploy the Active Denial System in Iraq going back to 2004. But it's always been delayed for legal, political, and public relations reasons. Anything that might be condemned as torture is political dynamite. Interestingly, the version being bought is not the full-size "Version 2," but a containerized system known as Silent Guardian, which Raytheon have been trying to sell for some time. They describe Silent Guardian as "roughly 1/3 the size and power of the other Active Denial Systems," and quote it's range as "greater than 250 meters." The larger system has a range somewhere in excess of 700 meters.

Silent Guardian weighs a shade over 10,000 pounds all up, and will be mounted on an "armored ruggedized HEMTT [Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck]."

The announcement arrives on the same day as a new report from less-lethal weapons expert Dr. Jürgen Altmann that analyzes the physics of several directed energy weapons, including Active Denial, the Advanced Tactical Laser (used as a non-lethal weapon), the Pulsed Energy Projectile (a.k.a. "Maximum Pain" laser) and the Long Range Acoustic Device (a.k.a. "Acoustic Blaster").

Dr. Altmann describes the Active Denial beam in some detail, noting that it will not be completely uniform; anyone unlucky enough to be caught in the center will experience more heating than someone at the edge. And perhaps more significant is his thorough analysis of the heating it produces -- and the cumulative effect if the target does not have the chance to cool down between exposures. In U.S. military tests, a fifteen-second delay between exposures was strictly observed; this may not happen when the ADS is used for real.

"As a consequence, the ADS provides the technical possibility to produce burns of second and third degree. Because the beam of diameter 2 m and above is wider than human size, such burns would occur over considerable parts of the body, up to 50% of its surface. Second- and third-degree burns covering more than 20% of the body surface are potentially life-threatening – due to toxic tissue-decay products and increased sensitivity to infection – and require intensive care in a specialized unit. Without a technical device that reliably prevents re-triggering on the same target subject, the ADS has a potential to produce permanent injury or death. "

This potential hazard need not be a show-stopper -- existing less-lethals, such as plastic bullets and tear gas, can also be fatal under some circumstances (and I'm not even going to get into the argument about Tasers).

Dr. Altmann notes that "the present analysis has not found convincing arguments that the ADS would be immoral or illegal in each foreseeable circumstance," and that acceptance will depend very much on how it is used. If the ADS prevents small boats from approaching a U.S. vessel without harming anyone, then it will be seen as a humane option. If it is used to clear protesters out of the way it may be seen differently.

Meanwhile, the National Institute of Justice is still has a reported interest in a "hand-held, probably rifle-sized, short range weapon that could be effective at tens of feet for law enforcement officials." That's just one of the likely domestic applications of Active Denial technology which are likely to follow if the Army's experiment with ADS is successful. A lot of people will be watching this one very closely.

Is it just me or is this slightly disturbing....?
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Army Orders Pain Ray Trucks; New Report Shows 'Potential for Death'
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 01:35:01 AM »
Disturbing from what angle?

That people are pissing their pants and getting all weepy that an Army weapons system migh *GASP* cause death?

Have they looked at the Crusader system, for God's sake?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 01:52:27 AM »
I was considering designing an area denial system that would launch candy and toiletries at violators in order to distract them from any would-be objective.  However, I suspected that there was a chance the “munitions” might cause slight cuts and bruises that could later become infected, causing unforeseen medical complications to the victims.  Therefore, I decided it would be safer just to allow any aggressors access to all locations.  Actually, maybe dialogue is the answer. If only they’d stop beheading the moderators....

Geez people, c'mon!  ;/

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 02:00:40 AM »
I was considering designing an area denial system that would launch candy

Think of the cavities that would cause !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 02:38:27 AM »
Or, y'know, that whole NORAD thing? 

I'll admit that microwave death rays sound a bit grisly, but it's not like roasting the enemy alive is a new thing.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 02:48:32 AM »
I thought I saw this on a Discovery Channel show with the ex-SEAL, the one who's just too cool for himself.  Made him jump like a sissy-girl when they zapped him with it.

Yep, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgG45Lvhow0&feature=related

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 04:08:22 AM »
Shocking new evidence: Army gives soldiers real bullets. More at eleven.

While I might be worried if this was going to the county sheriff I don't care as much if it's the Army since their job is to, you know, kill people and break things.
Look, tiny text!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 04:27:13 AM »
Explain this to me please. Why is a device that causes extreme pain and sometimes (rarely) kills you less human than the Army's previous plan for area denial - LANDMINES AND MACHINEGUNS?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 07:46:40 AM »

That people are pissing their pants and getting all weepy that an Army weapons system migh *GASP* cause death?

Or what a squad of Marines can do?
 =D

Seriously, though....its the army for cryin out loud!  Damn pants-wetters are complaining that it might kill someone?  The whole point is so that they don't have to level thier rifles and use those as crowd control.  That surely would kill someone.

I was considering designing an area denial system that would launch candy and toiletries at violators in order to distract them from any would-be objective. 

Puppies.  It must shoot puppies at them.  Who would riot while holding a puppy?
I better send an email to the All Loving Supreme Leader President Obama and let him know my idea.  Crap, he's already thought of it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 08:00:31 AM »
[Bart Simpson voice] Death ray truck? Cooooollll!!! [/Bart Simpson voice]
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 08:01:18 AM »
Personally I don't care if they roll the thing out and ratchet it up to deep fat fry setting and leave it there.

It would make for some great Youtube videos seeing a bunch of enemies doing their best Richard Prior/Michael Jackson "I'M ON FIRE I'M ON FIRE!" impersonations.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 08:02:40 AM »
Put all those myths of spontaneous human combustion to rest.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

LAK

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 08:10:17 AM »
Explain this to me please. Why is a device that causes extreme pain and sometimes (rarely) kills you less human than the Army's previous plan for area denial - LANDMINES AND MACHINEGUNS?
I think the less humane aspect on a battlefield is less important than in the context of domestic uses.

Besides, an old scratchy vinyl Barbara Streisand record is infinitely more effective and yet does no physical harm.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 08:29:18 AM »
I think the less humane aspect on a battlefield is less important than in the context of domestic uses.

Besides, an old scratchy vinyl Barbara Streisand record is infinitely more effective and yet does no physical harm.

I must contest that point. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 08:45:43 AM »
Puppies.  It must shoot puppies at them.  Who would riot while holding a puppy?

Sounds like a crew-served version of Gary Larson's "Dobie-O-Matic."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 10:29:55 AM »
I thought I saw this on a Discovery Channel show with the ex-SEAL, the one who's just too cool for himself.  Made him jump like a sissy-girl when they zapped him with it.

Yep, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgG45Lvhow0&feature=related

I saw that episode....my first thought was, "one guy with the high ground and a Mosin-Nagant, and the troops end up with a lot of angry rioters and a broken, multi-million dollar toy".......

There's something to be said for the power of the .308 FMJ fired from a M60E to disperse an angry crowd of foreigners in a war zone....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 12:09:49 PM »
Well, I guess this Pain Ray gun would be a lot less messy than waterboarding ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 12:53:02 PM »
The operator's manual is entitled "To Serve Man".

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 12:56:40 PM »
I'll admit that microwave death rays sound a bit grisly, but it's not like roasting the enemy alive is a new thing.

It's nothing new...basically an unshielded radar (at least the emitter part).

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 01:54:23 PM »
The operator's manual is entitled "To Serve Man".

It's a cookbook! A COOKBOOK!!!
Look, tiny text!

Zed

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 02:01:35 PM »

The fact that they Ordered them, despite having already been disallowed from using them.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »
The fact that they Ordered them, despite having already been disallowed from using them.

Uh, where did it say they were disallowed from using them?  In fact, it says right in the article:

Dr. Altmann notes that "the present analysis has not found convincing arguments that the ADS would be immoral or illegal in each foreseeable circumstance," and that acceptance will depend very much on how it is used.

Reading comprehension is your friend.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Kwelz

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
Yeah I am always amazed at the masses of people up in arms over Less than Lethal weapons.  Yes I think that in some cases the Police use them when it is nor appropriate, however I would much rather they take someone down with a Tazer than a firearm if possible. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 03:39:28 PM »
Yeah I am always amazed at the masses of people up in arms over Less than Lethal weapons.  Yes I think that in some cases the Police use them when it is nor appropriate, however I would much rather they take someone down with a Tazer than a firearm if possible. 

It's very simple, really. I think there's a tendency for some people to overlook the fact less-lethal weapons are not actually safe. And then these people, when entrusted with such a weapon, really do think it is 'nonlethal' and use it far less responsibly that they would a real gun.

Way too many people in law enforcement (I do not say they are a majority, but even one such guy is too many, IMO) think Tazers are a method to force compliance even on people who are not violent. That is bad.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 03:41:16 PM »
We order nukes all the time and we're not allowed to use them...