Author Topic: Cheap boots! Wellco tan combat boots, $18  (Read 22130 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Cheap boots! Wellco tan combat boots, $18
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 11:58:05 PM »
I still have my corcorans... Probably the most comfy boots I've ever had, even after resoling. Next time, they're going to get vibram. I've also got a few pairs of Belleville Boot Company combat boots - Most excellent company. I've got the old style standard, an insulated pair for winter, and a pair of the desert boots. Made in America and all that...

I had a pair of el-cheapo $20 jungle boots I got at the Cav Store, and the dang things smelled so much of formaldehyde that they'd rank the whole closet... Finally tossed them.

Blog under construction

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 10:24:13 PM »
Well........ I attempted to order a pair of boots and I get an email saying my order was cancelled because the size I ordered was out of stock.  :mad: I could order a pair a half size larger, but I have enough pairs of work boots around the house.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 08:30:57 PM »
Got my boots today.  They seem a bit big, but I will wear them toniht and tomorrow to see how they wear.
If they dont feel right, thor, if you're a 10.5, I could work something out with you.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 09:42:49 PM »
I still wear my Danner Go-Devil boots in the winter and when hunting (been resoled twice).  I have Cocorans that I keep at a high gloss for marching in parades with Americna Legion color guard.

I've also got some tanker boots that I wear occasionaly when doing grunge work around the house/garage.  I have the old green jungle boots in the back of the closet downstairs, along with a pair of genuine 1983 issue 'cruit boots (still highly polished) and a pair of Bundeswehr Mountain boots.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 10:24:31 PM »
Got my boots today.  They seem a bit big, but I will wear them toniht and tomorrow to see how they wear.
If they dont feel right, thor, if you're a 10.5, I could work something out with you.

10½ is a tad bit small unless these run EXTREMELY big. I normally wear a 13 wide..... :O
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »
10½ is a tad bit small unless these run EXTREMELY big. I normally wear a 13 wide..... :O

Liberal, very liberal, application of Fiebing's Shoe Stretch might do the trick.

And cutting the toes out of the boots.  =D
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 07:58:50 AM »
Dang.  I wish I'd known people were so ga-ga over the darned things.

I just took a bunch of new issued desert boots and flight boots to the local Goodwill as part of my garage clean-out duties.  New in box, but I'll never have need to wear them, so I figured somebody else could play GI for Halloween.  I did the same with a bunch of nomex flight suits, and my desert and woodland BDU sets are getting the same treatment as soon as I sanitize the name/rank/unit patches from them.    
Sweet sex positive baby Xenu haven't you heard of EBAY?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 10:45:44 AM »

Sounds like "Thor" is living up to his namesake here...  =D

Thanks a bunch Jamis... I think I need a rescue inhaler.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 11:18:01 AM »
:D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »

Yup.

I've sold a lot of stuff there, especially before they banned reloading components and gun parts.

I have a couple auctions going right now, for a Pharos Pocket PC GPS card and some other small items.

I haven't sold any of my GI-issue stuff, though.

I know it's an odd quirk on my part, but I usually just take those items to Goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul as a donation.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 02:20:49 PM »
Yup.

I've sold a lot of stuff there, especially before they banned reloading components and gun parts.

I have a couple auctions going right now, for a Pharos Pocket PC GPS card and some other small items.

I haven't sold any of my GI-issue stuff, though.

I know it's an odd quirk on my part, but I usually just take those items to Goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul as a donation.

Shoot me a PM let me know what you have I might buy some of it off ya  :cool:
JD

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 09:02:58 PM »
Mine arrived today.

They're 9.5 regulars, they're a bit large for that designation, but as stated in the L.A. police gear site that they'd likely be missing insoles, and mine are. So a pair of Dr. Scholl's from Wally-World will tighten them up a bit. The rest is probably better safe than sorry-room for swollen feet on marches or whatever.  =D

No complaints about the construction, everything seems to be double or triple stitched and pretty rugged. I like the sole, I know Vibram is supposed to be a step up, but this sole seems like it's a stiffer harder wearing kind of rubber. I've had lots of Vibram soled shoes, and the softer foamy rubber seems to wear pretty quickly with my peculiar duck-like gait. (The medical term is "Tibial Rotation", my Dad's side of the family calls it "Charlie Chaplin Syndrome".) There is a toe-cup, and while not steel, it seems quite sturdy. I can't crush it, or deform it at all with my hands and most my weight bearing down on the outside. I can't see a stitched welt, so I hope it's not just glue, and is just embedded completely within the sole.

And L.A. Police Gear didn't charge me any extra for the dried up dead moth in the left boot either.  :laugh:

For $18, I'm pretty happy.

And for those who've been in the service, what am I supposed to do with the extra two feet of laces once they're tied up? Save it for tripwire, tourniquets, or for rigging field-expedient shelters?  =|
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »
Tie a simple knot, then wrap them about the top of the boot and finish off with a square knot.  Then stuff the remainder in the top of the boot.  With this sort of laces, the square knot is more secure, but can be pulled apart pretty easily.

Mine arrived today.  Risked it and bought two pair.  Get this: only the left boots had insoles.

My foot is a measured 12D to 12EE, depending on the heat, but I ordered size 11.5W, the same as my issue jungle boots.  They fit just as my jungle boots did/do*.  A pair of Dr Scholl sport insoles and I am golden.

The "triple sole" is the real deal.  from the ground up: Hard rubber Vibram semi-lug sole, soft & resilient sole, some stiffer insole, and then (I think) the steel shank.

I am glad I ordered them.  Both my issue jungle boots are purt near worn out & needed replacing.

* Actually, they have more give than my new jungle boots did, so wearing them in should be less traumatic.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2009, 12:43:55 AM »
Tie a simple knot, then wrap them about the top of the boot and finish off with a square knot.  Then stuff the remainder in the top of the boot.  With this sort of laces, the square knot is more secure, but can be pulled apart pretty easily.

Bingo. 

Both my issue jungle boots are purt near worn out & needed replacing.

Purt-near, but not plum?   :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 01:19:16 AM »
Thanks, jf and AJ, for the reports. I ordered a pair for my wife that should arrive by Friday and I'll post one of my own.

Tac-Pants, it's "plumb", not "plum". Derived from plumbing a line being an exact measurement, leading to the extended sense of "downright". (I had the overall idea of it but, yes, I had to look it up to get the phrasing right.)
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 08:57:06 AM »

I like wrapping the excess laces around my shin and calf, it gives a bit of extra support. The one downside I get though is in a boot with an un-padded upper like these, the laces cut in a bit if I wrap them tight enough for extra support, or they shift around anyway and come loose. I'm surprised so few (if any) boot manufacturers ever get the idea to put a few grommets or loops along the back and sides of the boot, aligned with Achilles tendon to keep them from sliding up on the calf when you wrap the extra that way. Not really a dig on these Wellco's, it's something that bugs me about any similar boot. And for a desert/jungle design, hardware to wrap around the calf with the extra lacing and keep it put would be a good way to add extra lateral support to the ankle, prevent sprains etc. that a heavier padded upper (that is unsuitable for hot weather) would normally provide.

I'll have to see how well they retain my heel once I get some insoles at Wally-world on my lunch break this afternoon, then put them together tonight. Heel retention is my beef with any boot. I have trouble getting enough heel retention in most anything, from a ski-boot, to tennis shoes, unless I really crank down on the laces that cross over my superior extensor retinaculum area (Where the top of the foot curves into the beginning of the shin) to the point I'm cutting off circulation, but even though my foot isn't a wide, dropping a half-size is usualy too small in all the other dimensions. I must have really thin flat feet.

However, while I wouldn't want to hike in them as-is, they were already passably comfortable without the insoles already, a good sign.

I actually found the boots to be surprisingly warm for summer/desert boots. I did chores outside in the single digit weather we're having last night in them. I guess that's because they're keeping my feet dry with the vents and the extra toe-space, and a dry foot in an uninsulated boot will be warmer than a damp one in a well-insulated snow boot.

And with jeans or pants covering the uppers, they look passably like regular shoes too, which is also great. Mrs. Dual stopped her eye-rolling once she saw me walking around in them.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:01:46 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 10:10:24 AM »
Tac-Pants, it's "plumb", not "plum".

I spelled it phonetically, as "purt-near" was spelled phonetically.  Mr. Smarty Pants.  :P

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2009, 11:17:16 AM »
I spelled it phonetically, as "purt-near" was spelled phonetically.  Mr. Smarty Pants.  :P

Riiiiiight. ;D

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2009, 01:28:56 PM »
Bingo. 

Purt-near, but not plum?   :laugh:

Though I have obtained high marks in the various English language skills, I find it amusing to include colloquialisms from time to time when writing informally (without jacket & tie).

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2009, 01:30:38 PM »
But from now on, you will observe standard spelling.   :police:

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 09:17:02 AM »
Mine arrived yesterday. They're COMFORTABLE!

In that sort of "soft sneaker" way. I like them.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 09:41:14 AM »
I'm wearing them now. I've got some generic Walmart work-boot insoles put in mine, and the fit is pretty good even with no breaking in.  I wish they had one more pair of eyelets for the laces before the vertical part that goes up your shin for a bit more heel retention, but for the $34 I've got invested in insoles, boots, and shipping, I do feel like I've got a $100 boot now.

The other thing that was odd was that when I was cutting the insoles to fit, I had to cut them to size 12 to fit snugly inside these 9 1/2 boots.  =| That was a little odd. Who is off, Wellco, or the insole mfg? Both?

Mrs. Dual never thinks of footware in terms of durability or ruggedness, only comfort and appearance, so it's nigh impossible to negotiate the three-figure prices quality outdoor men's footwear normally costs into the family budget. She just finds it wasteful to spend $100 on one pair of shoes when you can get five pair of generic Chinastan ones from Payless.

And the sub-$100 name brand stuff that has the apperance of quality generally fails just as badly as the no-name generics.

Let's keep posting any other "can't pass up deals" we come across.  =)
I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 09:44:18 AM »
She just finds it wasteful to spend $100 on one pair of shoes when you can get five pair of generic Chinastan ones from Payless.

Math, though. If the $100 ones last ten times longer than the cheap ones that cost one fifth the price...

I have UK-made Doc Martens I've worn continually for eight years, and they show no signs of wear. They were expensive, and worth it. How many crappy Chinamart boots would that have been?

Also, a lot more can be broken by cheap boots than just a budget. Lack of support can cause a serious injury.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2009, 10:15:06 AM »
Math, though. If the $100 ones last ten times longer than the cheap ones that cost one fifth the price...

I have UK-made Doc Martens I've worn continually for eight years, and they show no signs of wear. They were expensive, and worth it. How many crappy Chinamart boots would that have been?

Also, a lot more can be broken by cheap boots than just a budget. Lack of support can cause a serious injury.

I've had a few pairs of Doc Martin's and they all failed on me. Maybe it's my duck-walk gait, but the under-insole pulled away from the welt, (well, it actually was not part of the welt, which was the problem...) and would collapse into the hollow air triangles of the sole, leaving a ledge for my toes to fall into. I've used the lifetime warranty with no trouble, the clerks at the department store were more than happy to exchange them. However the next pair just failed in the same way and I gave up.

I probably should have "splurged" and paid the extra $7 for the closeout boots with the full leather upper http://www.lapolicegear.com/wetancobocto.html The summer/jungle boot's thin nylon upper to help shed heat is harder to get the upper support I want. The other boot would have been a bit stiffer and provided more lateral support to the ankle. Maybe it wastes energy on a multi-mile hike, but I like some resistance in my upper to slow my ankle down.

Although I'm still very happy with what I have. I'd normally be wearing shoes with no upper, or some lousy 3/4 boot Timberland knock-off thing, so this is still vastly superior.
I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2009, 10:34:02 AM »
I've had a few pairs of Doc Martin's and they all failed on me. Maybe it's my duck-walk gait, but the under-insole pulled away from the welt, (well, it actually was not part of the welt, which was the problem...) and would collapse into the hollow air triangles of the sole, leaving a ledge for my toes to fall into. I've used the lifetime warranty with no trouble, the clerks at the department store were more than happy to exchange them. However the next pair just failed in the same way and I gave up

If they're newer ones made in China, they're crap.

The ONLY good ones were made in the UK.