Author Topic: California banning mentality continues....now large screen TVs!  (Read 15392 times)

esheato

• friend
California banning mentality continues....now large screen TVs!
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:56:11 PM »
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/154936/california-outlaws-large-power-hungry-tvs/

California outlaws large, power-hungry TVs

Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:55PM EST

In a move that could spell the end of the plasma TV industry as we know it, the state of California agreed today to enact strict regulations on the amount of power televisions can consume, effectively outlawing most large plasma TVs as of January 1, 2011, with many more televisions set to be banned beginning January 1, 2013.

The state had been concerned that 10 percent of a home's energy use is typically devoted to the TV and its related equipment, and that percentage has been increasing as consumers gain access to larger and larger (and cheaper and cheaper) televisions, which command an ever-increasing hunger for power.

The new rules go into effect a little more than a year from now: On January 1, 2011, televisions will be required to reduce energy consumption by an average of 33 percent. In 2013, a second tier of restrictions will go into effect, with average energy consumption required to be reduced by 49 percent vs. today's levels.

Rest assured, this doesn't mean the end of the television as we know it. As the California Energy Commission notes, as of now, over 1,000 televisions already meet the 2011 standards, so many manufacturers won't have to panic in order to comply with the regulations, at least for now.

Those who will be heavily affected are manufacturers who make televisions that draw more than their fair share of juice. A formula related to the size of the TV's screen in square inches will be used to determine the maximum power draw allowed by a TV. For example, Panasonic's 54-inch VIERA plasma TV would be allowed to draw 281 watts of power in "on mode." Today that set is rated to draw 293 watts of power. Smaller plasmas are generally OK under the 2011 specs, but virtually all of them fall short when put up against the 2013 rules. That same 54-inch plasma will be required to draw only 175 watts once 2013 arrives, a power reduction that just might not be possible.

Bottom line: Most LCD televisions will be safe under the 2011 law, and many plasmas will as well, but come 2013, everyone's going to have to do some serious belt-tightening.

All told, the new rules are expected to save 6,515 Gigawatt-hours annually in the state, save the state $8.7 billion in costs for additional power plants, and save consumers $8.1 billion a year in lower energy bills.

One additional point of note: The new rules currently don't apply to very large TVs, those of 1,400 square inches or larger (roughly a 58" set), although rules are likely to be enacted against these ultra-large sets in the second phase of this legislation.

-------------------------

I'm glad my family and I finally got out, but I wish they'd finally break off into the ocean and quit putting ideas in peoples' heads.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Re: California banning mentality continues....now large screen TVs!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:23:42 PM »
Those who will be heavily affected are manufacturers who make televisions that draw more than their fair share of juice.

Yes comrades we must reduce our energy consumption for the good of the Union!
Look, tiny text!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:48:52 PM »
One additional point of note: The new rules currently don't apply to very large TVs, those of 1,400 square inches or larger (roughly a 58" set), although rules are likely to be enacted against these ultra-large sets in the second phase of this legislation.

Translation:  Ahnuld has one of these "very large TV's" like most of the power elite in CA.  The middle class will bear the brunt:  And by this, I mean they must either downgrade to a sub 30" TV, or spend more than they want to and get one of the exempted ultralarge sets.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »
Translation:  Ahnuld has one of these "very large TV's" like most of the power elite in CA.  The middle class will bear the brunt:  And by this, I mean they must either downgrade to a sub 30" TV, or spend more than they want to and get one of the exempted ultralarge sets.

Or, not wanting to put sports bars out of business?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:55:01 PM »

All told, the new rules are expected to save 6,515 Gigawatt-hours annually in the state, save the state $8.7 billion in costs for additional power plants, and save consumers $8.1 billion a year in lower energy bills.

Aren't plants built by power companies?   You know, companies that, like...  buy stuff and employ people?

Sigh...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »
And don't consumer pay for the electricity?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 10:20:26 PM »
It's a stimulus thing, make people buy more big ticket items to replace and thus pay teh sales tax again.

Wait, that's reverse stimulus...
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »
If the greens were consistent they'd have done something to stop illegal immigration past, present, and future.  That's the real threat to the environment and energy availability, not bigscreen tvs.

As for the cost savings, L.A. County alone spends a billion dollars a year on total services for illegal aliens.  The shortfall in our state budget is to no small degree the result of the same situation.  

The people who run California see what they want to see, and once again the finger is pointed at the middle class and its "sins."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:26:25 PM »
Haven't we been saying that the people won't revolt until .gov takes away their TVs?   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 10:57:24 PM »
Haven't we been saying that the people won't revolt until .gov takes away their TVs?   

You win.  Your prize is one innernetz.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 08:26:21 AM »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 08:34:20 AM »
Sigh... 

I'd rather just include TVs in the same requirements as other appliances and post average annual electricity/energy usage numbers.

I wonder if we'll see more sets without integrated speakers?  That should save a few watts, shouldn't it?

Oddly enough, my new LCD uses more power per square inch of viewable screen than my old CRT TV did.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 09:08:33 AM »
Oddly enough, my new LCD uses more power per square inch of viewable screen than my old CRT TV did.

I was surprised when I learned that.  Perhaps the LED-backlit ones they just came out with are much more efficient?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 09:12:45 AM »

I was disappointed when I learned that, too, since LCD's tend to light a room to lesser degree than a CRT of the same size.  The energy must get dumped to more heat waste.
--Lysander Spooner

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 09:13:01 AM »
Does mommy government put a limit on how many sets you can have? If my neighbor can have 3 of the new efficient sets, why can't I have just one of the normal sets?

What about projectors?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 09:15:49 AM »

What about projectors?

Your projector must be 12 feet away from the wall if it consumes more than 200 watts.  If you move it to 10 feet from the wall, you owe the state $500 in fines.  If you move it to 8 feet, you owe the state $2000 in fines and 7 days in jail. >:D
--Lysander Spooner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 10:14:52 AM »
California is going to create a lot of opportunities for places like Yuma. First they encourage the opening of new ammunition shops. Now they're encouraging the opening of television shops in places like Yuma and Reno.

Is it illegal to bring a large screen monitor into CA if you buy it out of state? Are they going to set up customs stations at all the border crossing to ensure that nobody brings any ammunition or televisions into the state?

Sheesh.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 10:17:36 AM »
Are they going to set up customs stations at all the border crossing to ensure that nobody brings any ammunition or televisions into the state?

They already have customs stations to inspect for fruit, for some reason.

I say we set up customs stations in Oregon/Nevada/Arizona and just turn back any car with a CA plate.
--Lysander Spooner

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 10:24:26 AM »
The first thing I can think of is you'll see a bunch of units come out sans audio.  Completely eliminating the audio amp and related circuitry will have an immediate effect on power consumption.  Not much, but maybe enough.

LED-backlit units will also become the norm (vs the current flourescent backlighting standard). There's enough efficiencey gain on LED vs CF to come in under the power-chop numbers for most units.

New flexibel OLED technology may make it a moot point, though.

I say we set up customs stations in Oregon/Nevada/Arizona and just turn back any car with a CA plate.

And confiscate any vehicle with a CA Govt plate.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 10:37:52 AM »
Quote from: Firethorn
I was disappointed when I learned that, too, since LCD's tend to light a room to lesser degree than a CRT of the same size.  The energy must get dumped to more heat waste.

Are you sure about that?  Is that based on measured powered draw, or rated power consumption on the back label of the monitor?

Even with a fairly inaccurate reading from my UPS, a 19" sony G400 (14 x 10.75) from circa 2001 draws roughly twice the power as my 22" samsung lcd (18.5 x 11.25) (2 years old).  Roughly 390w total with the CRT turned on, vs 350 with the LCD on, vs about 310 with neither plugged in.  So, while the LCD has roughly 33% more viewing area, it consumes less than half the power per square inch according to my crude measurements.  Some day I'll get one of those clamp probes for my Fluke, but not today.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 11:06:48 AM »

What about people like Ben, gunsmith, LadySmith, longeyes and all the other conservatives/gunnies/sane folks living in California? Excemption for cars with NRA, Ron Paul or other stickers that favor freedom and liberty in general?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 11:53:40 AM »
What about people like Ben, gunsmith, LadySmith, longeyes and all the other conservatives/gunnies/sane folks living in California? Excemption for cars with NRA, Ron Paul or other stickers that favor freedom and liberty in general?
Special Passes? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 12:04:37 PM »

Thanks for looking out for us pal! :)

They'll take my electricity sucking 52-incher from my cold dead eyes, or something like that.  :lol:

On a serious note, and not to give them ideas, I wonder how much juice LCD and DLP projectors use? I'm thinking more than the TVs, and some people might just start buying those for their large screen options.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 12:08:56 PM »
On a serious note, and not to give them ideas, I wonder how much juice LCD and DLP projectors use? I'm thinking more than the TVs, and some people might just start buying those for their large screen options.

I use an InFocus projector for my TV.  I don't have the figures at hand, but I seem to recall it eating around 250 watts.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »
Thanks for looking out for us pal! :)

They'll take my electricity sucking 52-incher from my cold dead eyes, or something like that.  :lol:

Hey, I wouldn't want to be turned back at the US border when I make it over just because some most of my fellow Europeans are imbecilles politically, so I figured that some rule ought to be set early to prevent that :laugh:. Will the "Don't Tread On Me" tattoo I plan to get on the side of my neck some day suffice to let me in? :laugh: =D
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila