Author Topic: No Address of Note  (Read 8969 times)

P5 Guy

No Address of Note
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:56:01 PM »
My retirement plan is to travel.
I want a van, a travel trailer and the open road.
Is there any members on APS that have experience with doing this? Can you tell me what your rig is? I do not want a motorhome. I'm thinking a conversion van as a second bedroom. the trailer as a main base.
I'm going to sell my house to help with financing this plan.
I'm looking for input, please what would I be getting myself into?
Thanks for the help, P5 Guy

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: No Address of Note
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:03:13 PM »
My spouse sold RVs of various kinds.  Most of the units he sold for full time use were fifth wheels.

P5 Guy

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »
I'm looking at a trailer 20 to 25 feet. It is for one person only. The van is for a mobile second bedroom to use on 2 to 3 night trips. I have done a little searching, but most of the info I've seen is family/couple centered.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:45:54 PM »
I'll be taking off to do a bit of cross-country at the beginning of next month, for at least a week or two, just me in my car.  =)

Depending on the length of your staying out, I'd say that a proper panel van, worked over and repaired 100%, along with tools, replacement parts for critical systems, etc. would be a very good idea.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:27:41 PM »
It being Easter and all, I'll point out that real men go sojourning with no other vehicle than a pair of sandals.   :P  ;) 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 11:32:09 PM »
if you have your wife along a camel is allowed, would hate to see someone break there back starting a trip. [popcorn] :angel:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 11:49:10 PM »
My retirement plan is to travel.
I want a van, a travel trailer and the open road.
Is there any members on APS that have experience with doing this? Can you tell me what your rig is? I do not want a motorhome. I'm thinking a conversion van as a second bedroom. the trailer as a main base.
I'm going to sell my house to help with financing this plan.
I'm looking for input, please what would I be getting myself into?
Thanks for the help, P5 Guy

I understand not wanting a motorhome...cumbersome things they are.

I'd recommend something like a "toyhauler" with an attached garage to hold a small auxillery vehicle (golf cart, 4 wheeler, etc). I'd go for one of the smaller toyhaulers vs. one of the huge fully decked out ones. One person only has an upside (less stuff required) but the downside is that you don't have ready help for hooking up, backing in places, etc. Yes, truck drivers deal without the help, but it's just nicer to have someone to help.

An adequate tow vehicle. We have a conversion van, but it's underpowered (engine is too small for it...305 just ain't enough for it) and top heavy. Not real fun to drive. Also, a van is much more of a pain in the ass to work on.

I'd recommend a solid pickup truck for the tow vehicle. Open bed, or with a camper shell to store your gear in it. If you do go with a van, I don't think the conversion part is really worth the bit of headroom. Going back to the truck part, if you throw a camper shell on it, then you can put a cot or something in the back to camp in. Regardless of the truck or van, I'd want a solid 3/4 ton vehicle, or better yet, 1 ton...for a normal van, just pull the benches out of the back and build yourself a bunk and some storage bins or whatever you want.

I really envy you. This is the way I'd like to live my whole life, but I have no funding to do so.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 11:51:42 PM »
This fellow has written a bit about how he did it in a small pickup. Good tips. http://www.cheaprvliving.com/Survivalist_Truck_Dweller.html
Hi.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 12:27:01 AM »
This fellow has written a bit about how he did it in a small pickup. Good tips. http://www.cheaprvliving.com/Survivalist_Truck_Dweller.html

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 08:28:07 AM »
Banks, credit cards, etc will require you to have an address.  I think a PO Box will do. 
However, for your DL, you're going to need to have a residency.  You could probably have a good friend or family member allow you to start getting bills there and establish residency. 
As for your setup, most conversion vans are pretty underpowered and don't get great gas mileage.  They aren't really setup for towing, either.   
And I am also a fanboi of the toy haulers.  You can fit all kinds of stuff in those.  Motorcycles, bicycles, ATV's, Kayaks, small fishing boats, etc. 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-2005-NOMAD-RAMPAGE-TOY-HAULER-NEW-TIRES-SHOWER_W0QQitemZ140396296850QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item20b0457a92

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DESERT-FOX-TOY-HAULER-24-AS-BEST-PRICE-ANYWHERE-L-K_W0QQitemZ280486230287QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRVs_Campers?hash=item414e48390f
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »
I'm looking at a trailer 20 to 25 feet. It is for one person only. The van is for a mobile second bedroom to use on 2 to 3 night trips. I have done a little searching, but most of the info I've seen is family/couple centered.

Sorry I misunderstood OP
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:45:03 AM by Chester32141 »
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 08:47:33 AM »
This statement is a little confusing ... if you have no home, from where will you be leaving for your 3 to 3 night trips ?

He said he intends to use the camper as a base. 

Personally, I'd plan on just returning to that base every night. 

Conversion vans are great family cruisers, but are not very good tow vehicles.

One person only has an upside (less stuff required) but the downside is that you don't have ready help for hooking up, backing in places, etc. Yes, truck drivers deal without the help, but it's just nicer to have someone to help.

Truck drivers rarely have to back into a wooded and angled camping spot with low hanging branches and a dropoff.
I'm not much on big crowds, but I'm also not one for pure solitude.  I'm not sure I could do a trip like that without at least minimal companionship.

To the OP:  Are you choosing to go by yourself, or is that just the boat you're in?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
I've never liked vans much because they are so hard to work on.  They don't seem to hold value very well, which might be an advantage if you are buying used.

A fifth wheel trailer tows the best and is easier to back up, provided that you don't get a huge one.  I've always wanted one that was less than 25' overall length, so that the towing length would be about like a 17-18' bumper pull.  The trouble with a fifth wheel is that you can't also have a camper shell on the pickup.

I've actually lived like you propose - I had to back when I was logging.  I camped out in the woods on site.  I got pretty good at hooking up a bumper pull trailer by myself.  It depends somewhat on the size of the trailer.  I would turn the jack wheel sideways and set it on a thick plank maybe two feet long (also cross-ways).  The trick was to get the fore-and-aft distance right, and then you could get out and manhandle the tongue side to side a little bit.  If you get the ball halfway lined up, then you can screw down the jack and it will usually slide down into place.

If you've never towed a trailer much before then you have a bit to learn.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

P5 Guy

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 12:10:40 PM »
I know that there is a lot I need to learn about this. I'm doing my research now. This life style is 5 to 8 years in the future.
Yes, it is my choice, more or  less, to be going solo. The missus ran off with her hippie boy friend after 30 years of being married to my stogy butt. Thats another unrelated story.
I'm not going to be hauling any toys along. If I want to I'll just do a rental, mostly water crafts. I got the off road motorcycling out of my system long ago, note the limp?
If I start out with an E350 Diesel will my tow vehicle be that under powered? A 20 to 25 foot trailer, smaller the better, is the biggest I'd want. I'm a simple man and kind of a hermit. Do any other car companies make a similar type van? I know that vans are harder to get into the engine compartment but isn't the rest just about the same as any other truck?
I need to find out more about the "no permanent address" thing. Can I pick the state with the lowest vehicle registration fees and no income taxes?
Please keep the posts coming, thanks P5 Guy.

oldcop1971

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 12:20:24 PM »
Google "boondocking".  I stumbled across a web site not too long ago that addressed many of these issues, living on the road, how to keep a permanent address, etc.  Some interesting stuff for people who want to live on the road and chuck the conventional home/mortgage lifestyle.
gene

oldcop1971

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 12:25:18 PM »
An E-350 Diesel will not be underpowered.  Diesels are great for heavy towing because they have a lot more torque than comparably-sized gasoline engines.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 12:38:31 PM »
If I start out with an E350 Diesel will my tow vehicle be that under powered? A 20 to 25 foot trailer, smaller the better, is the biggest I'd want. I'm a simple man and kind of a hermit. Do any other car companies make a similar type van? I know that vans are harder to get into the engine compartment but isn't the rest just about the same as any other truck?

I'd think the E350 with a diesel would be a much more logical choice for a van than a conversion van. GM's vans are also available with a diesel, IIRC (but I wouldn't deal with GM for nothin' since they cut the deal with the devil).

You may also want to look at the Dodge Sprinter, but I just don't know about the reliability or if it would tow well (for some reason, I doubt it). Chrysler stopped production of their conventional fullsize van back around '03. Also, I don't trust Chrysler's quality one bit. They also cut a deal with the devil...

P5 guy, you also need to learn more about the construction of travel trailers. Many are built rather cheaply and all will require maintenance. You may consider fiberglass trailers like a Scamp, Eggcamper, or similar...the Airstreams would also be a very good, albeit expensive, option. I'd put durability/longevity at the tops for traveling constantly like you want to do.

I don't own anything yet, but I have been doing a lot of research over the past couple of years for a setup to do much as you describe.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:42:15 PM by Avenger29 »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

P5 Guy

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »
Interesting link thanks oldcop. A little rougher roughing it than I had in mind but very interesting. And I have friends in Key Largo so I recognize the campground/marina the blogger is in. His secret is safe with me, I might move in as a neighbor (LOL). And I'd want to keep a firearm or three with me.

I didn't see the last couple of posts.
I'd convert the van to my needs not buy an already built one. A cargo van would be my starting point. More privacy that way with out all the windows down the side. Ventilation for those sultry nights of Summer would be my biggest concern. No matter where one goes in the lower 48 July and August get hot.

I looked at Scamps, and others of similar construction at an RV show in Tampa last month. I know from that the slideouts lead to leaks real quick. AirStreams are nice. I wonder if I could do a RealTree application? The aluminum skin isn't appealing to my eye but the interior is fine with me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:02:58 PM by P5 Guy »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 01:00:45 PM »
I know that there is a lot I need to learn about this. I'm doing my research now. This life style is 5 to 8 years in the future.
Yes, it is my choice, more or  less, to be going solo. The missus ran off with her hippie boy friend after 30 years of being married to my stogy butt. Thats another unrelated story.
I'm not going to be hauling any toys along. If I want to I'll just do a rental, mostly water crafts. I got the off road motorcycling out of my system long ago, note the limp?
I need to find out more about the "no permanent address" thing. Can I pick the state with the lowest vehicle registration fees and no income taxes?
Please keep the posts coming, thanks P5 Guy.

I would think you could rent one of those PMB's (private mail boxes) and then be able to have them forward your mail to various points around the country.  I dunno how that will work for DL address - maybe you could use a relative's address?  In MT you can use a PO box (or at least you could last time I renewed mine) for a DL address.

Right now I'm not sure I would be making plans 5-8 years in the future  =|  Is there even going to be fuel available at a reasonable price by then (might consider a backpack or a horse  ;) ).

They are still expensive (and getting rare), but look out for an older Airstream trailer in the 25' range.  If you find one, buy it!  Don't wait until you're ready to go "Traveler."  

You ought to put together a truck/trailer combo now and try it out on some shorter trips (week(s), months(s), etc) to get the feel of the lifestyle.  Find out what you need and don't need to take.  I'd say take more basic tools, and less of most everything else.

And you are smart to stay away from motorhomes.  Where would you live if it broke down and you have mechanics tracking grease all over your living room. ;)

A good trailer will outlast a dozen pickups (or vans).  That's why I recommend an Airstream or one of the other all-metal brands (Avion, Streamline, Boles-Aero) that won't rot out or shake themselves apart.  There's probably some new brands out there that I don't know anything about, but really I wouldn't tie up a fortune in a travel trailer.  You could even completely remodel the inside of an older but sound trailer and customize it to you wants/needs.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

P5 Guy

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
BioDiesel
I'm optimistic about BioDiesel back into a McDs and filter from the waste oil another 100 miles down the road is mine.
Keeping my water tanks from freezing, even in the Keys may be a concern. I'd not want to leak waste all over. Even gray waste water.

I'm saving up now for the tow vehicle/van. If fuel costs get that bad travel trailers may be free to good homes.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
BioDiesel
I'm optimistic about BioDiesel back into a McDs and filter from the waste oil another 100 miles down the road is mine.
Keeping my water tanks from freezing, even in the Keys may be a concern. I'd not want to leak waste all over. Even gray waste water.

I'm saving up now for the tow vehicle/van. If fuel costs get that bad travel trailers may be free to good homes.

You can be hit by the feds for doing as you propose. You're not paying road taxes and you're "affecting interstate commerce" in that case. Plus, how are you going to convince the manager of the place to let you take the oil off his hands when they've already got somebody scheduled to come pick it up?

It's also not about high fuel prices- it's about availability, too. The fuel will be priced high because of limited availability, and then when the gov't steps in to "stop price gouging" the already limited availability will vanish...

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 01:18:54 PM »
From what I've seen of the process of making bio-diesel from waste cooking-oil, I don't know that it's something you could realistically do out of a trailer.

P5 Guy

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »
More study is needed for that BioDiesel plan. The bar on the corner from my house pays to have waste fry oil removed. I'm sure he'd be happy to have a free removal on occasion.

Looks like SD is the place for registration and DL. I'm wondering how this RealID nonsense is going to shake out? In Florida one needs to have a utility bill to renew the DL. Uncle Sam is such a Nanny.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 06:10:29 PM »
I'm with Tallpine, regarding trailer & tow vehicle: a 5th wheel or goose neck is so much easier to tow & maneuver.  Full-sized van + 25' standard trailer + no help will keep you out of a lot of trailer grounds in places you'd really like to go.

My dad & step mom did this for ~1 year with a 25' 5th wheel light enough to be hauled by a 1995 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton with 318 V8, 4spd auto, & 3.73 rear end.  It was short & maneuverable enough (ext cab & short box) that they did not encounter any grounds that they could not squeeze into.  In retrospect, my dad would have preferred more vehicle, minimum a 360 V8 or a 3/4 ton PU with any appropriate engine (360+ gas or diesel).

The E350 diesel is enough tow vehicle, but as TP writes, vans are a SOB to work on.

My ideal tow vehicle would be a 3/4 ton or 1 ton (non-dually) 4-door PU, diesel engine, manual tranny, goose neck trailer.  Truck bed would have a quality big ol' truck box up front.  I'd have one of those soft camper shells to use if I was tooling around w/o the trailer and wanted covered area.  I could sleep in the back seat, or the bed on my electric-pump-inflatable mattress under the soft shell.

The trailer wold be a goose neck metal frame, or at least one of the better quality others.  If only me & maybe one other, and our mission is to go neat places, 25' would be ideal.  If more a "mobile house," that moved around the country from work site to work site, I'd want 35'-40'. 

I'd definitely spring for the side awning and would also have a screened, covered area to serve as a foyer, outdoor eating/whatever area to serve as a "mobile mud room."

A utility bicycle on a mountain bike frame would be an invaluable accessory.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton