Author Topic: No Address of Note  (Read 8972 times)

taurusowner

Re: No Address of Note
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 06:15:51 PM »
Just buy an H1 and sleep underneath it or dig a ranger grave =)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 07:20:36 PM »
I'm not real impressed with the task of hooking up a crew-cab p/u to a gooseneck type trailer that goes on a ball.  You can't see what's going on and the ball seems to go in the opposite direction that you turn the truck.

Maybe it's easier with the mini fifth-wheel type hitch more common on RVs  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »
If you really want to stick with the van idea as a mobile platform for mini trips, maybe a suburban would be better? Easier to work on, better at towing IMO, etc. The only disadvantage I can see over a pickup is you can't do a fifth wheel, but you maintain lots of the interior space of a van.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

P5 Guy

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 08:10:38 PM »
I had thought about the extra large SUV and that might be an option.
I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hips and knees. I haven't looked into joint replacement, yet. My limited mobility means I rather have the headroom that a van would provide.
I know a 5th wheel is more maneuverable, I'm going to an RV park and dropping the trailer, then off to the areas other attractions.
I know that an awning on the trailer is a must. I also want a screen room to setup at whatever camp I'm at.
A secure place for "valuables" will be essential too.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I've gotten pretty good at backing the pickup up to the boat and hooking it up quickly.  of course, this winter, I wacked the bumper on the tounge  :facepalm:
Its not that hard and the more you do it the easier it gets.

Many of the trailers have under bed storage, which could be converted into more secure storage I'm sure.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 08:37:07 PM »
200 bucks  wireless backup cam
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 09:45:33 PM »
I've gotten pretty good at backing the pickup up to the boat and hooking it up quickly.

I've found that the trick is to back in straight and keep the same amount of of trailer sticking out on both sides in your mirrors (old truck driver - the mirrors are "king" ;) ).

Depending on your ball mount, sometimes you can back slooowly in until you just touch the tongue, and then pull forward a bit.

There are some aids for this: special mirrors, marker wands, etc but I've always just followed the old trial and error method unless I have spotter (which doesn't always help  ;/ ).

At least you shouldn't be getting into screaming arguments with yourself over backing into a campsite if you are traveling solo  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 10:22:21 PM »
200 bucks  wireless backup cam

Nah, the old CSD front-mounted hitch for ease of hookup and then drive it in reverse to the destination.

I'm not real impressed with the task of hooking up a crew-cab p/u to a gooseneck type trailer that goes on a ball.  You can't see what's going on and the ball seems to go in the opposite direction that you turn the truck.

Maybe it's easier with the mini fifth-wheel type hitch more common on RVs  =|

I guess my dad's buddy who had both his 7 horse trailer and RV trailer switched over (or bought originally)  to goose neck made it look easy.  When you do it for a living (haul high-dollar horses all over) I guess you get puh-lenty of practice.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TMM

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 11:31:54 PM »
after i graduated high school, i traveled cross country for 4 1/2 months and 21,500 miles counterclockwise throughout the country. i drove ( and still drive - i love this truck!) a 2001 2.7L toyota tacoma, with an extended height cap on the back that i camped in. i had a futon in the back sitting on top of a 2x6 and plywood frame that my uncle and i made for extra storage and insulation from the potentially cold truck bed. it was a really great trip and the truck was the absolutely perfect rig of choice. 4x4 for wheeling, having fun, and safety, enough power to move around but good fuel mileage, and just the right size for one person.

if i were to do it again, i'd perhaps use a larger truck with a small camper cap on the back or a 4x4 van or SUV of some sort, along the lines of a 4Runner.

if you're interested in reading more about my trip, read my blog at:

http://themadmailler.livejournal.com/

TMM

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2010, 11:10:49 AM »
I guess my dad's buddy who had both his 7 horse trailer and RV trailer switched over (or bought originally)  to goose neck made it look easy.  When you do it for a living (haul high-dollar horses all over) I guess you get puh-lenty of practice.

Most likely.

I helped my neighbors load some hay, so in trade they hauled a load for us in their horse trailer.  Only problem was he had to leave and I had to help her hitch up.

(I could have probably done it a lot faster by myself  ;) )

Because it was a crew cab, you couldn't see into the bed and the turning response was slow.  Then I figured out that the ball is actually slightly ahead of the axle so when you turn left, the ball goes right  ;/

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2010, 12:14:34 PM »
I suck at backing up trailers, I know how I'm just way out of practice.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2010, 12:28:11 PM »
How about a full sized pickup with a slide in self contained camper? Many are now a semi popup so you can drop the height a lot when drving down the road.

Also I was looking at a hard sided popup a few years ago. I really liked these. http://www.chaletrv.com/

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2010, 12:28:50 PM »
Interesting, so the 9 passenger vans are a lot more difficult to work on than pickups?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2010, 01:38:21 PM »
Interesting, so the 9 passenger vans are a lot more difficult to work on than pickups?

The engine in a van is mostly underneath the dashboard :(

You need to pull an engine from a pickup: unbolt the hood, disconnect everything holding the engine (same stuff as a van but more accessible), and just lift it out with a hoist.

On a van, you have to remove the radiator and grill/front end assembly and somehow get the engine out laterally  =|

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2010, 03:56:54 PM »
Yep, mostly under the dash and center console. More then a couple times I remember seeing my grandfather unclipping the console and taking out the seats to do some sort of job on his van. By the time he was ready to work on the damn thing the same job on his pickups would have been close to done.

He hated the damn thing, but it was Grandma's bingo bus.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Oh yeah, it's a pain to work on a van (we've had several over the years). As Dad got older, he declared no more, as he couldn't take the twisting and other contortions to get into the engine compartment. Just to get to the engine involves taking off the engine cover (including unbolting, unlatching, and unscrewing it) and wrestling with it to get it past the seats. And then you've only got access to half the engine. And they were a pain to work on in the pre-computer/electronic area. Now, with all the extra *expletive deleted*it bolted onto the outside of the engine...hell no.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »
At least you shouldn't be getting into screaming arguments with yourself over backing into a campsite if you are traveling solo 

I've made it a point to not get into pissing matches with the wife over something I should know how to do myself.  I give her clear instructions on helping and do everything slowly enough that if she messes up I still might have time to catch it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »

I've made it a point to not get into pissing matches with the wife over something I should know how to do myself.  I give her clear instructions on helping and do everything slowly enough that if she messes up I still might have time to catch it.

Our VFD has a policy that we always have to have a spotter when backing up.

But the driver is still responsible for the vehicle.  Mostly, I just ignore the spotter and watch the mirrors on both sides, plus the front corners.  Most people don't know how to guide anyway  =(  They will tell you to turn left when you should turn right.  Only direction I follow is "Stop!"  ;)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »
Since mama is on the boat title, she's pretty conservative in helping me back it up.... :laugh:

How about a full sized pickup with a slide in self contained camper? Many are now a semi popup so you can drop the height a lot when drving down the road.

Also I was looking at a hard sided popup a few years ago. I really liked these. http://www.chaletrv.com/

I dig on these myself:

http://www.flippac.com/

JD

PTK

• friends
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2010, 08:04:23 PM »
Is it bad that my brain immediately went to building one of those for my CV?  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2010, 12:55:21 PM »
I don't know where you live, but my wife and I are in the process of doing the extended travel thing.  I bought a 1983 Winnebago on a GMC chassis and a 5.7 liter engine.  We started out traveling with my work trailer converted for camping, but every time we wanted something, it was either in my F150 tow vehicle when we were in the trailer, or vice versa.  We decided quickly that a small motor home was the only way for us.  Of course you have to understand that when we travel we take the whole family (4 dogs and 4 guinea pigs).

We have a permanent address, but you still need to have someone get your mail for you and let you know if anything important like winning the Readers Digest Sweepstakes or your great uncle leaving you millions is going on while you are out vagabonding around.  You will also find that any established campgrounds like KOA will want a permanent PHYSICAL address, not just a PO Box.  In many cases, the physical address must match your driver's license.

I have waited all my life to take off and go, suppressing the urge many times over the last 50 years or so.  We got a taste last summer and it only made us more determined to make it happen.  Even Parking in some old curmudgeon's yard in Montana didn't discourage us. =D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 01:19:23 PM »
Hey, Grandpa!  Glad to see you all are still alive!  Haven't "seen" nor heard from you for a while.  We were beginning to think the dogs mutinied and had you two stuffed in the freezer or something  =D

Even Parking in some old curmudgeon's yard in Montana didn't discourage us.

Some folks aren't very picky about their choice of campsites  :lol:

DD 2.0 is here, but she has a job with a family about 50 miles away starting this weekend.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010, 02:02:16 PM »
I wonder if you could purchase a small home and rent it out, but still claim it as a permanant residence?  Charge a flat rate and keep the utilites in your name, then you have utility bills to prove residency. 
Just pontificating.   
JD

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2010, 02:46:04 PM »
I was thinking something like these, http://www.alaskancamper.com/ which are a hard sided popup.

Slick :)

The thing I like about the Flippac is its light and small.  If you're just using it as the occasional camp, and mostly staying in a pull-behind, it gives alot of flexibility. 
JD