Author Topic: No Address of Note  (Read 8973 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: No Address of Note
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 04:25:48 PM »
Does VW still make Westies?  (campers)  My family had one back in the 70's and took many a long trip in it.  Would be pretty comfortable for 1 or maybe 2 people.  Not really big enough for 3 for more than a week...
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »
Does VW still make Westies?  (campers)  My family had one back in the 70's and took many a long trip in it.  Would be pretty comfortable for 1 or maybe 2 people.  Not really big enough for 3 for more than a week...

Not much good for towing 25' travel trailers  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2010, 05:39:39 PM »
Not much good for towing 25' travel trailers  ;/

and the old ones were mechanical a-holes.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

P5 Guy

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 12:25:39 PM »
Grandpa Shooter, I'm on Florida's west coast by the Tampa Bay.
I really don't want an RV. Minor inconveniences, like pulling off the road to get something from the other part of the rig doesn't seem too much trouble to me. Now keep in mind I've never had to go to the other in a monsoon rain.
That tent on the PU topper looks interesting, if the Big Three stop making full sized vans in the next few years.
VW Westfailias don't tow. The last VW Micro Bus I was in barely got out of its own way with six people in it. Yeah, that was an old aircooled flat four. something like 40HP.
Is a gas engine van really that weak? I'd rather a diesel because of the durability of the engine and fuel mileage.
A bit of this has been about hooking up to the trailer, do the chain campgrounds offer a helper?
Tallpine, Got an opening for another to back in? Montana is on the list for Summer travel.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2010, 12:44:42 PM »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 02:53:45 PM »
P5:
Make friends in the campgrounds and you'll always have a helper.  That said, there are numerous aids out there for hooking up trailers.  There are cheap back up cameras, and even [urlhttp://garage-toys.com/alquichitgui.html]these things that mount to your trailer and hitch[/url] that help you line them up.  Really, I hook up my boat ALL THE TIME without any help.  And I do it backing up the driveway mouth which slopes into the street. 
I really think the flippac is pimp.  I'd like to get one for my truck one day. 
Westies are fun, but not much for living in them unless you're a dirty old hippy.  They make great weekend toys for flyfishing in the mountains. 
Yes, the gas engine vans are that weak.  The springs are not set up for towing in most of them.  The engines are usually on the small side, small V8s like the 305, and with all the added weight of the "conversion", they are just not set up for it. 
Another bene of going the truck route would be to go 4x4.  I've seen conversion vans stuck in campground parking lots, on the beach, and on back roads before.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”