Author Topic: DDWFTTW  (Read 12760 times)

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: DDWFTTW
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2010, 01:05:49 PM »
That means you could make a boat based on this principle, too; instead of wheels, it'd need an impeller that would be driven by the water, and which would turn the in-air prop.  It would be interesting to see how such a critter fared versus a more conventional sailboat.

I find this idea extremely interesting.

What would be the best shape for an impeller designed to get maximum torque with minimal drag through the water?  Lome kind of long screw shape?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

ThinAirDesigns

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2010, 01:24:19 PM »
That means you could make a boat based on this principle, too; instead of wheels, it'd need an impeller that would be driven by the water, and which would turn the in-air prop.  It would be interesting to see how such a critter fared versus a more conventional sailboat.

This is true.  The hull efficiencies etc., are such on boats that success would be far more of a challenge, far more expensive and far less assured. 

Theoretically of course there are no principles standing in the way of success.

JB

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2010, 01:34:51 PM »
How about an airplane.
Instead of wheels rolling on the ground, you have a lightweight cable on a long spool which you pay out behind until it runs out.  Could you launch an aircraft and get it up to a usable glide speed before running out of cable?  Remains to be seen.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2010, 01:43:03 PM »
How about an airplane.
Instead of wheels rolling on the ground, you have a lightweight cable on a long spool which you pay out behind until it runs out.  Could you launch an aircraft and get it up to a usable glide speed before running out of cable?  Remains to be seen.

If you have a cable that long, you could just make the plane electric and plug it in to the wall at the airport.  Duh.   ;/

=D
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

ThinAirDesigns

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2010, 01:45:06 PM »
How about an airplane.
Instead of wheels rolling on the ground, you have a lightweight cable on a long spool which you pay out behind until it runs out.  Could you launch an aircraft and get it up to a usable glide speed before running out of cable?  Remains to be seen.

Look up "Brennan torpedo" -- it worked on the above principle many, many years ago.

JB
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 02:06:32 PM by ThinAirDesigns »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2010, 03:02:33 PM »
Maybe you could surf the clouds of Jupiter
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"