Author Topic: Steve jobs dead  (Read 12895 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Steve jobs dead
« on: October 05, 2011, 07:54:29 PM »
Nooz just announced Steve Jobs died.  56. Cancer.  Love him or hate him he was a visionary.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Steve jobs dead
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »
A year younger than me.

Riches can't buy everything.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:10:58 PM »
A year younger than me.

Riches can't buy everything.

Riches bought him seven years.  He was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer in 2004 and managed to live until 2011.  Most people last far less than that (mainly because by the time you have symptoms, it's far too late).

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:25:32 PM »
There is some thought that riches bought him a liver transplant out of sequence.  He was on multiple waiting lists all over the country when his number came up in Tennessee.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:56:39 PM »
Poor guy. 

Even for a filthy hippy,  he was quite the visionary.  Love his company's products.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 09:03:32 PM »
 :'(

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
It seems unjust that someone who's made so many positive contributions to the world would have their life cut so short.

RIP Mr. Jobs and thanks for the many cool toys.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 09:24:02 PM »
Out here in the heart of Silicon Valley the reaction I'm hearing is, "That's too bad. Life's too short. See ya, gotta go."
Maybe it will sink in a bit more around here tomorrow.
R.I.P. Steve Jobs.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 09:29:04 PM »
He was a visionary, and embodied entrepreneurial spirit in the US. 
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:31:04 PM »
Even for a filthy hippy,  he was quite the visionary.

Uh, Jobs was the cutthroat businessman of the operation.  Woz was the yahoo handing out technical specs for what was to become the Apple I at computer hobby group meetings until Jobs told him to knock it off.

Sure, Jobs dressed down and didn't always look the part of being a billionaire CEO, but I figure he's got more in common with the main character in the movie "There Will be Blood" than any hippy.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
I don't do tongue in cheek well on the interwebz,  was mostly poking at the Apple stereotype  ;) 

Like I said,  loved his products,  His presence in the company will be missed I'm sure.  Hopefully not too much to the detriment of Apple.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 09:40:55 PM »
Out here in the heart of Silicon Valley the reaction I'm hearing is, "That's too bad. Life's too short. See ya, gotta go."
Maybe it will sink in a bit more around here tomorrow.

Or maybe they had money riding on NeXT.

Uh, Jobs was the cutthroat businessman of the operation.  Woz was the yahoo handing out technical specs for what was to become the Apple I at computer hobby group meetings until Jobs told him to knock it off.

Sure, Jobs dressed down and didn't always look the part of being a billionaire CEO, but I figure he's got more in common with the main character in the movie "There Will be Blood" than any hippy.

As I recall, Wozniak favored making all the computers live happily together in harmony, too.  Jobs the pretend hippie was the one who insisted on proprietary interfaces, etc.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 10:03:11 PM »
He had not been looking too healthy, lately, in the pics I have seen. Must have been a member of a "wellness organization"/modern HMO.

Not an Apple fan but the man, undeniably. was a pioneer.

Go easy, Steve Jobs.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 10:05:28 PM »
He was an interesting character.
Pirates of silicone Valley kind of tells the story of Apple and MS.
Don't know how much reality involved but kind of a neat movie
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168122/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 10:17:29 PM »
We laud his successes.  We forget he experienced major failures in the same line of business.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 10:20:18 PM »
Sorry to hear that....he really accomplished a lot in the field of commercial electronics....and sales....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 10:25:32 PM »
Uh, Jobs was the cutthroat businessman of the operation.  Woz was the yahoo handing out technical specs for what was to become the Apple I at computer hobby group meetings until Jobs told him to knock it off.

Can we get somebody over the Wall Street protest, to see if any die-hard Apple fans can be filmed in mourning?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 10:37:02 PM »
We forget he experienced major failures in the same line of business.

I'm not a Jobs fanboy, but I honestly don't know what you're referring to here.  Apple had some major missteps in the late 80's and in the 90's but they were when Jobs was no longer in control.  His biggest mistake was getting Scully to be CEO which changed the environment and got him ousted from any power. It was after that when Apple made all of their major blunders.  Unless I'm missing something.

Apple got back into the game when they bought out NeXT and put their CEO (Jobs) in charge of Apple again.  NeXT became OS X which got people excited about Mac again (or at least it got ME excited) and from there we went to iPod, iPad, iPhone land, etc.

Ok, I will grant that under Jobs the G4 Cube failed horribly.  But beyond that, not really sure what you're talking about.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 10:44:14 PM »
Having failed isn't a bad thing.

He got back up.

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 10:47:36 PM »
Life is too short.  Too many people take it for granted.  "I'll get to that later/call this person tomorrow, etc."  Sounds like he did what he loved, and loved his family, kept them out of the media frenzy so they could lead normal lives.  Always sad to see a candle as bright as his flicker out.
There is something relaxing in working with sharp pointy things.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 11:26:40 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 12:56:27 AM »
WBC is already planning to protest the funeral

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 01:53:41 AM »
WBC is already planning to protest the funeral

Windows fanboys?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Pharmacology

• friends

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 02:25:44 AM »
Windows fanboys?

Nah, just your average garden variety inbred morons.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams