Author Topic: What to do with the nice little goth kiddies?  (Read 5868 times)

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Re: What to do with the nice little goth kiddies?
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2006, 03:55:48 PM »

Also from the British Medical Journal :

Related Articles

Self harm in Goth youth subculture: Study merely reinforces popular stereotypes
Michelle Phillipov

Self harm in Goth youth subculture: Conclusion relates only to small sample
Mark Taubert and Jothy Kandasamy

Sounds like those small samples of "gun owners" the antis manage to study.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2006, 09:20:00 PM »
Do you mind posting your other studies as well, Preacherman?  The one you've posted is kinda vague, being only a summary and not the actual study.  It's findings run counter to my own experiences, and it has me intrigued.

Preacherman

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2006, 04:01:21 AM »
Difficult to post to actual studies, as these things are typically in medical journals, and they don't make the full transcript available on the Web.  I've had exposure to them both as a clergyman and as a prison chaplain, as our experience with Goths in both environments is invariably negative.  Personally, I think the Goth sub-culture is about as sick and twisted as it gets for teenagers . . . the only thing worse is mainline, hardcore drug use or all-out Satanism, in my experience.

Like I said, use a search engine to look around, and you'll find a number of Web references.  You'll also notice that almost all the rebuttals to said references come from those who are themselves, or who have children, involved in the Goth sub-culture . . . not surprising, really!
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2006, 05:16:29 AM »
Quote from: Preacherman
You'll also notice that almost all the rebuttals to said references come from those who are themselves, or who have children, involved in the Goth sub-culture . . . not surprising, really!
With respect, Preacherman, the fact that the people who are rebutting indictments of goth culture often are goths themselves should hardly be taken as a reason to dismiss those claims.

There are many exclusive groups that have within them a pathologically wrong-headed element.  For instance, the clergy is not about child abuse, yet there is a sick element within it that through its actions harms the reputation of the larger group.  But should we then disregard the voice of good priests who speak out and say, "No, what those people do is wrong, but is not reflective of what our Order is about"?  After all, one could easily say "those references are coming from those who are themselves involved in the priesthood...not surprising, really!"

Now before anyone takes offense at this post, allow me to say that I am not attempting to attack the priesthood (or Preacherman himself) in any way.  I am attempting to point out the logical absurdity of dismissing someone's argument about a particular group just because they are a part of that group.

Who better to speak in defense of what a particular group is really about, than a person who is part of that group, and knows what it is like from the inside?

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2006, 05:46:31 AM »
For the most part, goth and emo kids are just that - kids trying to be different by being like their friends.  Most of us went through that phase to a greater or lesser degree.  Some handled it better than others.

Most of them do the stupid outfits, the bad poetry, the whiny music, and don't take it much further.  Eventually they grow up and realize that jaded and cool are not the same thing.  Hopefully they figure it out before Something Bad Happens.

Yes, there are representatives who take it Way Too Far. 

Everyone here, do something for me.  Think about your various hobbies and activities (religion included).  Now, think of a completely un-knowledgeable outsider looking for information or to do an interview on the subject of said activity.  Can you think of someone you know who would be the last person you'd send them to?  You know the sort.  "Oh dear God. Please, not him.  He's a nice enough guy, but he takes it WAY too seriously."

Those are the goths that are the problem.  And like members of other groups, it's not the group that's the problem.  It's the unbalanced individual giving the rest a bad reputation.

Oh, and just for the record, I am not and never have been a goth or emo.  I pre-date most of that.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2006, 06:45:29 AM »
I think a big problem here is the press not knowing what the term 'goth' actually means, and applying it to every retard in a black shirt and a funny haircut.

Same thing is suffered by darn near any group that gets pigeon-holed, and of course it is infuriating to anyone who has been into it for 20 or 30 years before the press takes notice of it.

I'm not goth myself, but I greatly enjoy a lot of their company.