Author Topic: List Your "Walking Dead" Dumb Tactics  (Read 5516 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
List Your "Walking Dead" Dumb Tactics
« on: October 26, 2015, 02:54:06 PM »
I didn't want to muck up the season 6 thread, but we mentioned some of the "what are they thinking?" tactics there (again!) so I'm curious to know what irks the APS "Walking Dead" fans the most regarding tactics. Note this is not an "I hate "X" and want them to get bit" thread. Just blatant tactical failures.

In the season 6 thread, Mike brought up armor again, and I have to agree that is one of my big peeves. Even if not armor, how about wearing something other than t-shirts and shorts? Leather jackets, etc. -- anything that would reduce the chance of the (after so many seasons) decomposing and weaker walkers from making skin contact with their teeth? Also gloves (see additional pet peeve below).

Also automatic weapons fire. Still too much of it for no reason. Rick actually had a good reason in last night's episode, but that was against the living, not the undead.

They still haven't discovered the .22 rimfire.

Killing zombies with knives with like 4" blades on them (relates back to gloves). Can you get your bare hands any closer to walker mouths than when trying for head stabs with a freakin' pocket knife? Machetes, please. Or at least some longer stabbing instruments that can easily be inserted into the skull, and more importantly, easily pulled back out.

What are your tactical pet peeves?

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 04:25:54 PM »
Pretty much everything that they do.

So often zero situational awareness...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: List Your "Walking Dead" Dumb Tactics
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 04:46:38 PM »
So often zero situational awareness...

Yup.  How many times was a person just standing somewhere when a walker appears from outside the camera's view and bites them?  Did they really not see or hear it?  Walkers are neither fast nor stealthy. 

(This is probably laziness on the part of the director trying to surprise the audience.)

When traveling in a group, have one or two people watching their six.  It's not difficult.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 05:10:56 PM »
Not just the six, all points of the freaking compass!  :facepalm:

Constant scanning, especially when you're already dealing with walkers in front of you.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 05:12:54 PM »
Regarding armor, even a denim jacket would provide a lot of protection. Want to really up the protection? Sew some fiberglass cloth on the arms. Or even leather. Hell, even wraps of duct tape would provide some protection.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 05:30:17 PM »
Regarding armor, even a denim jacket would provide a lot of protection. Want to really up the protection? Sew some fiberglass cloth on the arms. Or even leather. Hell, even wraps of duct tape would provide some protection.

Motorcycle jackets, whether mesh or textile seem to be perfect for the job at hand.

When I worked in a window factory, the glass cutters would wear riveted kevlar coats that covered neck to knees with diving gloves- they offered really good puncture/cut protection and were pretty light at the same time.
Couldn't find a pic of a coat online, but below is a jacket.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 05:56:35 PM »
it's almost as if Rick and his merry krewe have just forgotten all the hard learned lessons of the previous few years.

Every time I watch an episode, I wonder why one one wears leather collars, leather leg guards, arm guards and gloves.  All of these would be bite proof.
Why don't they understand that a short spear is better than a Spyderco folder for those head stabs.  WHY THE HELL DO THEY KEEP USING THE FRAGILE BUTTS OF THEIR AR RIFLES AS CLUBS?  Please excuse my rant there.  :)

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 06:15:58 PM »
God, where to begin.  Keep in mind, I'm a casual fan of the show.  I like how they play with some of the morality issues, especially kindness vs. survival.  Sometimes, I wonder about simply hanging cans  withe pebbles inside on fishing line around the perimeter as an early warning system.  Set it out 100 yards from your walls and you could have a patrol vectored in to eliminate the threat long before they hit the walls.  Want to keep it quiet, so spear it, pin it to the ground, and chop the head. 

Supply patrols make me crazy.  They wander around unknown territory in condition white.  Sweep the area, secure a building, set up overwatch, and search for supplies.  Doesn't btake a lot of people to manage that.

A final note, I hate that they split up so often.  This is a situation where strength does lie in numbers.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 06:40:31 PM »
ummmmmmmmm....it keeps getting renewed by AMC. (which used to stand for American Movie Classics).

<ducks and runs> ;)

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 07:16:16 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 07:17:18 PM »
360 security.  Anywhere.
Camp security.

Camp OP's LP's.

Layered defenses.  

Weapons and firearms.

Sure we can break down individually bad tactics.  Unfortunately, most of the Alexandria group is alive by sheer luck.  Rick's group has fought and killed for it.

The real problem are people.  So many of the things they do and plan are thwarted by people who've gone off the deep end or are just flat greedy.  And they just don't seem to want to think about planning on dealing with people.

God, where to begin.  Keep in mind, I'm a casual fan of the show.  I like how they play with some of the morality issues, especially kindness vs. survival.  Sometimes, I wonder about simply hanging cans  withe pebbles inside on fishing line around the perimeter as an early warning system.  Set it out 100 yards from your walls and you could have a patrol vectored in to eliminate the threat long before they hit the walls.  Want to keep it quiet, so spear it, pin it to the ground, and chop the head. 

Supply patrols make me crazy.  They wander around unknown territory in condition white.  Sweep the area, secure a building, set up overwatch, and search for supplies.  Doesn't btake a lot of people to manage that.

A final note, I hate that they split up so often.  This is a situation where strength does lie in numbers.

There was a camp that some of them stayed in, in one of the early seasons that had that.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 08:33:50 PM »
Took them, what, 3 seasons to find a Mosin, which is about as perfect a zombie killer as there is?

Hell, raiding any milsurp store should yield an ample supply on bayonets easily mountable to poles of different kinds.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 08:42:42 PM »
Hell, just some decent angle iron and hack saws could make good enough spear points.  I always wondered why no one ever used a shield wall and Greek phalanx tactics against zombies.  I guess TV/Movies never do anything resembling a formation.  Normally, the professionals all get killed and the amateurs win.

Even window bug screens might make a decent make-shift bite guard.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 09:12:55 PM »
 I always wondered why no one ever used a shield wall and Greek phalanx tactics against zombies.

Man, would I love to see somebody make a short of Lagertha leading her Vikings against a Walking Dead horde!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 10:11:23 PM »
A simple double layer canadian tuxedo would make them very bite and scratch resistant. And gloves!

If a bite or scratch is dangerous, undead bodily goo must be so as well. There seems to be little attention payed to biosecurity measures, and tools/weapons as well as characters are frequently covered in hazardous material.

Come on use short spears or pikes instead of pocket knives.

No reconditioning of large vehicles to trample large undead groups?

Since the quarry was such a good trap that kept the area walker-free, they should have just reinforced the exits and kept all the undead there.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 11:39:53 PM »
A simple double layer canadian tuxedo would make them very bite and scratch resistant. And gloves!

If a bite or scratch is dangerous, undead bodily goo must be so as well. There seems to be little attention payed to biosecurity measures, and tools/weapons as well as characters are frequently covered in hazardous material

Come on use short spears or pikes instead of pocket knives.

No reconditioning of large vehicles to trample large undead groups?

Since the quarry was such a good trap that kept the area walker-free, they should have just reinforced the exits and kept all the undead there.

Everyone is "infected" with whatever the agent that causes zombification, so I don't think zombigoo would  be bothersome.  Plus, in the first season they learned that if they put zombigoo on them the zombis (yea, walkers...whatever) would be fooled into thinking the living were also walkers.
Putting the goo on caused a bad case of BO but it didn't hurt anyone.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 07:15:36 AM »
"Everyone is "infected" with whatever the agent that causes zombification, so I don't think zombigoo would  be bothersome."

Except... bites are, for whatever reason, fatal. Jim from season 1.

You'd think if a bite is fatal, a cut exposed to zombigoo would trigger the same reaction.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 09:08:57 AM »
I've often thought that a piece of sharpened drill rod, tempered to give it some flexibility, or a similar material, ground to a sharp point, and attached to a stout handle, like a pick or ax handle, would be a great zombie eradication tool. Stout, easy punch through hard skull, and easy to remove. If the spear part gets broken, you still have an axe or pick handle as a club.

Of course, I'd rather have a katana.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 09:42:26 AM »
There are just so many "poke a hole in the head" options that are better than knives that it's ridiculous. In Walking Dead world, I think the characters probably walk past hundreds of items laying in the street that would make better brain pokers than their knives. At this stage in zombie decomposition, you don't even need a really pointy end. An unsharpened piece of rebar would push through the skull.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
That is why I mentioned angle iron.  Surely there would be scrap metal places around where they are wandering.  Cut a point into the iron and tie it to a spear.  If nothing else, find a secure high point just out of reach and start spearing heads. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 10:33:49 AM »
The producers should hire some APS members as technical advisers.  However, if they followed the APS tech advisers advice, the show would become boring pretty quickly and be cancelled as actual danger to the characters would be greatly diminished.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 12:13:11 PM »
Talked with a friend of mine a few minutes ago.

He's a DC, so he's got a pretty good idea what goes on with bones.

He also has a problem with the ease with which a toothpick can penetrate a zombie's skull. The bones don't really soften during decomp. If anything, they get harder as they dry out. After all, they're largely calcium, which means that they're a rock.

As Dave put it... "Death onset osteoporosis must be one of the side effects of zombiism..."   :rofl:

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 01:57:25 PM »
. . . They still haven't discovered the .22 rimfire . . .
Uhhh . . . until just recently, .22 rimfire has been in short supply these last few years, and that's WITHOUT a zombie apocalypse.

My peeve is the noise they make when on patrol - they KNOW zombies are attracted to sound, and they KNOW there are "non-zombie" bad guys out there . . . and yet they banter back and forth about irrelevant cr@p when they should be paying attention to what's around them. I think someone mentioned they're going around in "Condition White" . . . well, it's usually a noisy "Condition White." 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 02:03:33 PM »
Spears have been a near perfect weapon for millenia for good reason- good reach and lethality. Up closer, a framing hammer would be good- I think I rememebr one of the characters carrying a hammer in his belt.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 02:23:51 PM »
Talked with a friend of mine a few minutes ago.

He's a DC, so he's got a pretty good idea what goes on with bones.

He also has a problem with the ease with which a toothpick can penetrate a zombie's skull. The bones don't really soften during decomp. If anything, they get harder as they dry out. After all, they're largely calcium, which means that they're a rock.

As Dave put it... "Death onset osteoporosis must be one of the side effects of zombiism..."   :rofl:

Interesting, I would not have thought about that regarding the bones.