Author Topic: List Your "Walking Dead" Dumb Tactics  (Read 5517 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: List Your "Walking Dead" Dumb Tactics
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2015, 12:40:09 PM »
Actually, it makes sense when you think about it.  Everyone already has the virus, so the virus itself isn't the cause of death.  Human mouths are known to be just nasty when it comes to bites and now the biter is dead, decomposing, not practicing good oral hygiene, and eating, well, anything.  That makes for an absolute cesspool of a mouth.  My assertion is that zombie goo (blood, treacle, etc) is not overly infectious to a healthy human, but a bite (or bites) is more infections than a normal human bite for reasons explained above.  Ergo, the bitee dies from a massive infection and systemic shutdown rather than anything specific to the virus itself.  Toss into the mix a stressed body, lack of medical care, and overall lack of hygiene and you see how it kills like it does.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2015, 12:48:59 PM »
I like the theory, and I think it very nicely covers the.... plot hole... that quite a few of us have noticed since season 1....

Except.... in one of the seasons didn't someone try treating zombie bite infections with antibiotics to no avail? Maybe it was something Jenner mentioned at the CDC.

You'd think if it were an infection antibiotics would have at least some effect.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2015, 12:53:41 PM »
Could be a plausible explanation. Sort of like komodo dragon bites. Although I don't remember treatment attempts in season 1,  if the lethal infectious agent(s)  of the bite was unknown and deemed untreatable or not. Maybe due to a disruption in basic health care the right antibiotic combos  just aren't available.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2015, 01:07:37 PM »
I like the theory, and I think it very nicely covers the.... plot hole... that quite a few of us have noticed since season 1....

Except.... in one of the seasons didn't someone try treating zombie bite infections with antibiotics to no avail? Maybe it was something Jenner mentioned at the CDC.

You'd think if it were an infection antibiotics would have at least some effect.

Maybe something antibiotic-resistant has established dominance in the zombie mouth?  Something that was always there, but held in check by the immune system?

Sort of like komodo dragon bites.
That was what I had in mind, but not that long ago, they discovered the KD is actually venomous and has a relatively clean mouth (especially compared to mammalian carnivores).

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »
Maybe something antibiotic-resistant has established dominance in the zombie mouth?  Something that was always there, but held in check by the immune system?
Chris

I guess we can blame it on all those generations of mothers who go to the doctor and say "My child has a mild cold! Give him antibiotics!"

Or hookers with clap.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2015, 02:24:25 PM »
I guess we can blame it on all those generations of mothers who go to the doctor and say "My child has a mild cold! Give him antibiotics!"

Or hookers with clap.

That's got to be it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.