Author Topic: Think our inflation rate is bad?  (Read 5461 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Think our inflation rate is bad?
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:24:36 AM »
Article that just came across Reuters says Zimbabwe's inflation rate has topped 2 million percent a year...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Think our inflation rate is bad?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:31:50 AM »
Their currency is worth more as fuel for the stove than as a medium of exchange.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:32:11 AM »
BTW, congrats, you just hit 10k posts.  Loser. Wink

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 06:34:15 AM »
I hang out with you, so I'd have to say Uber Loser.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Ooo!  self-pwnage!
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 11:29:53 AM »
I just read that as of a few days ago, a butternut squash cost Z$30,000,000,000 in a Zimbabwe market . . . that's thirty billion dollars for a single vegetable.

And remember, a couple of years ago, Zimbabwe chopped three zeros off their currency, making the price more like thirty trillion dollars.

Makes the old Weimar Republic look good . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 03:14:17 PM »
So there money is worth more as recycled paper?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 03:19:29 PM »
So there money is worth more as recycled paper?
It's useful as toilet paper, and not much more.

JWarren

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 03:29:11 PM »
I came across this a few weeks ago... seems to fit. (I'll leave it as a thumbnail for the benefit of the thread.)

-- John

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »
My grandfather made a business trip to Germany about 1931 or 1932.  He had a greenback in his wallet as he was going thru the process of boarding a ship to return to the States.  Long story shortened - the Germans confiscated his hard money and gave him Deutshmarks.

Enough to fill up a steamer trunk!

When he got home he papered my father's and my uncle's rooms with the stuff, and still had piles of paper left over.  Grandma made him strip the stuff off the walls after everybody in the family, the city, and the next five counties over had come to see the rooms and talk about it.

I cannot remember precisely, but the story was it was either a $10 or $20 that was converted into funny money.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Marvin Dao

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 05:28:36 PM »
Apparently it can get worse. They'll run out of paper to print money with in about two weeks, can no longer get spare parts for their money printing machines, and their license for the money designing software is about to expire... One thing is constant though. Inflation is still rising.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 08:17:40 PM »
Yeah, I've sometimes wondered about the logistics of hyperinflated currency.  If the money isn't worth the paper it's printed on, then where do they get the money to buy the paper it's printed on?

Think about it.  Printing money is fairly expensive.  You need special paper, special ink, special printing presses, trained labor, distribution, and a whole lot else.  Yet the final product isn't worth anything.  You print a new stack of currency, but it isn't valuable enough to buy the supplies you'll need to print the next stack of currency.  Wouldn't you expect the government to eventually lose the race, to fall behind its own inflated currency, and find itself unable to afford the costs of printing new money?  And at that point, wouldn't the printing, and thus the inflation, cease?

Burning currency for heat may be cheaper than burning wood, but surely there are more resources expended to produce currency than to produce firewood.  How can it be that the currency is worth less?

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 08:18:19 PM »
I just read that as of a few days ago, a butternut squash cost Z$30,000,000,000 in a Zimbabwe market . . . that's thirty billion dollars for a single vegetable.

This assumes a butternut squash can be found.  Zimbabwe used to be the granary of Africa, but after Mugabe forced the white farmers off their lands to give it to squatters who don't know squat about farming, food is scarce.  Meat is a memory for most people.

If there is anyplace in the world that practically begs for a coup, it's Zimbabwe.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 03:24:36 AM »

This assumes a butternut squash can be found.  Zimbabwe used to be the granary of Africa, but after Mugabe forced the white farmers off their lands to give it to squatters who don't know squat about farming, food is scarce.  Meat is a memory for most people.

If there is anyplace in the world that practically begs for a coup, it's Zimbabwe.
But at least - thanks in large part to Jimmy Carter - they do have "majority rule" in Zimbabwe, unlike that horrid hellhole which proceeded it, Rhodesia.  rolleyes
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 05:21:20 AM »
Actually I thought they no longer had majority rule in Zimbabwe.  Didn't Mugabe just lose the recent election and then worked at killing the other candidate and his supporters? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 07:05:29 AM »
"Majority rule" in Africa means the ruler is from the same demographic as most Africans - i.e., he's black.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 07:58:10 AM »
But I thought the great and wise Mugabe had banned inflation? How could this ever happen? rolleyes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 08:28:35 AM »
Well, something appears to be wrong in Zimbabwe...

The last exchange rate I could find for the Zimbabwean dollar was 25,439Z to $1 US.

At that rate a butternut squash costs well over $1 million US.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 02:24:02 PM »

The last exchange rate I could find for the Zimbabwean dollar was 25,439Z to $1 US.

Since when did butternut squash cost $39?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 04:13:31 PM »

Since when did butternut squash cost $39?

When it was a *ahem* "interesting shape" and was sold on E-bay.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 04:48:18 AM »
Majority rule in Africa seems to be "One man, one vote... one time"
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 05:03:38 AM »

It's much worse than that now. BBC was just saying that it costs 2,000,000,000 Z for a loaf of bread...about $1 US. Two BILLION. That a bus ride and lunch is about a trillion dollars, and so shopkeepers have been just putting B, T, and Q on shelves.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 02:40:28 PM »
"Majority rule" in Africa means the ruler is from the same demographic as most Africans - i.e., he's black.

Majority rule in Africa is tribal, not racial.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 05:19:17 PM »
. . .The last exchange rate I could find for the Zimbabwean dollar was 25,439Z to $1 US.
That's probably about when they stopped computing exchange rates.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 07:59:18 PM »
. . .The last exchange rate I could find for the Zimbabwean dollar was 25,439Z to $1 US.
That's probably about when they stopped computing exchange rates.

Actually, thinking about it some more, that's the official international currency exchange rate.

Often those have absolutely nothing to do with the reality of economic conditions inside of a country.