Author Topic: Why is PC100 SDRAM so expensive?  (Read 5467 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Why is PC100 SDRAM so expensive?
« on: March 26, 2009, 01:46:31 PM »
I need moar rams for my Mac Cube server.  It uses PC100 SDRAM.  Everything I'm finding is more expensive than the same size in more current configurations (512mb PC100 vs 512 or larger PC5200 for example).  The best price I've found for appropriate memory (512mb PC100 non-ecc low density SDRAM) is $30ish per stick.

Why?

Now that I have everything up and running on the server, I'm running low on RAM at 567mb.  I'd like to take it up to it's max of 1.5gb

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Why is PC100 SDRAM so expensive?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 01:59:27 PM »
*stifles giggle and rude comment about Mac*

I did some digging to see if PC133 was backwards compatible and found out that is used to be.

Seems that Apple, in their infinite wisdom designed the MOBO to take 32x8 low denisty modules.  The older PC133 stuff was 32x8, but most of the newer modules are high density 64x4, which makes an Apple/Mac barf a big furry electronic hairball.  Looks like you're stuck with using PC100. 

I can't be too hard on ya, though, 'cuz I'm in the same boat.  My Dell Dimension 8100 takes RDRAM (RIMMS), which was very fast in the day but is horrendously expensive now.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:03:13 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 02:01:34 PM »
I haven't used PC100 since the 90's - maybe early 2000's.

This is an old box, I presume?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 02:04:24 PM »
My guess is it's a conspiracy designed by MAC just to piss you off.  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »
Brad, mock all you want, but this is running Linux.  No Fisher Price OS for me. :D

I don't mind using PC100, I just don't understand why it costs more per mb than current memory. 

Nick, yes, it's an older box.   The Mac G4 Cube hasn't been in production since 2001 or so.  It makes a great server with Linux.  It's quiet and runs the PPC port of Ubuntu quite well. 

Performance is fine right now.  It only bogs down when I'm tar/gzipping my backups.  That script runs in early mornings (kicks off at 1am) except when I'm testing (which is how I found out about the performance).  I can't complain, it is chewing on about 25gb of data (sure to grow as the website is populated).  If it's not running my archive script, it's plenty fast for a small office server.  That said, as I have more people using the box, I'll need additional memory to support them.  Right now, it's using 500mb of the 567mb available (no swap in use).

Chris

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 02:53:07 PM »
Chris, I actually use to have some PC100 around.  Think it was only 256kb, though.  =|

I imagine that the prices are a function of supply and demand.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 02:57:53 PM »
I guess.  I figured it would be like older hard drives (and older PCs for that matter), you can't even give them away.  Makes me wonder if there's some need for it that keeps the price high.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 03:06:10 PM »
Brad, mock all you want

Ok.  :laugh:

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 03:54:19 PM »
I may also have some PC100 around, but also likely just 256. I'll take a look. If I find some you can have it if 256 sticks aren't too small for you.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 04:00:11 PM »

My Dell Dimension 8100 takes RDRAM (RIMMS), which was very fast in the day but is horrendously expensive now.

Brad

Dude,

You're still using the Dementian 8100?  :lol:  I think mine had an aneurysm.  Despite the unbelievably expensive memory that is almost exclusive to that model (because faster, cheaper stuff came out shortly thereafter), mine gradually slowed to almost uselessness.  It also developed a high pitched whine that competed for the last bit of my sanity.  It's been moved to the project corner. :)

You can buy a whole, much faster PC for less than what a decent amount of RDRAM costs.

I might have some PC100, too.  But I think it's PC133 and 256MB.
For entertainment purposes only.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 04:13:17 PM »
I may also have some PC100 around, but also likely just 256. I'll take a look. If I find some you can have it if 256 sticks aren't too small for you.

I think I have two 256 chips in now, with the third being the factory 64mb.  I need to bring down the server to confirm though.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »
Dude,

You're still using the Dementian 8100?  :lol:  I think mine had an aneurysm.  Despite the unbelievably expensive memory that is almost exclusive to that model (because faster, cheaper stuff came out shortly thereafter), mine gradually slowed to almost uselessness.  It also developed a high pitched whine that competed for the last bit of my sanity.  It's been moved to the project corner. :)

You can buy a whole, much faster PC for less than what a decent amount of RDRAM costs.

Yeah, I know.  I hit the Dell outlet site pretty often and it's almost comical how much machine you can get for the money.  About two weeks ago I saw an Inspiron 530, Quad core 2600, 4GB RAM, 512MB vid card, and XP Pro with the Vista Business license for $409.  I didn't last the hour, but I've seen similar setup since.

If my old clunker wasn't still ginning along, doing everything I need it to, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat.  It still gets me by, but I know it's on its last leg and will need replacement soon.  I'm just not looking forward to the two or three days of loading apps, doing updates, and getting everything working like I want.

Brad
-HankB

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 07:23:19 PM »

If my old clunker wasn't still ginning along, doing everything I need it to, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat.  It still gets me by, but I know it's on its last leg and will need replacement soon.  I'm just not looking forward to the two or three days of loading apps, doing updates, and getting everything working like I want.

Brad

I hear ya.  I tend to use computers (and pretty much everything else) until they're worn out.  My home PC is older than the 8100 and is running an Athlon T-bird 1.2. :D
For entertainment purposes only.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »
mntbkr, the reason PC100 is so expensive is that it is an obsolete type and very little, if any, is manufactured any more.  It's a supply and demand thing.  Not much supply, still some demand for use in older gear.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 09:17:34 PM »
I hear ya.  I tend to use computers (and pretty much everything else) until they're worn out.  My home PC is older than the 8100 and is running an Athlon T-bird 1.2. :D

Athlon 2200XP (1.8GHz) I built myself years back.

I really ought to replace it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 09:18:21 PM »
I'd still expect to find it cheap on places like ebay.  Other vintage parts from that era are comparatively cheap, but memory isn't.  I figured there was some use for it that kept prices elevated (used commonly in industrial systems, etc).

Chris

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 09:20:25 PM »
I hear that about the Athlons.  I still use a machine with an Athlon 2400XP for antivirus scans, and this machine I'm on now is an Athlon 3200XP.  They do tend to soldier on.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 09:38:03 PM »
You think that's expensive?

I have 5 Xeon-based computers here that use RDRAM, the PC800-45 ECC stuff. 

I've been buying the 512Mb RIMMS lately, right around $90.00/pair.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 09:41:15 PM »
I have 5 computers here that use RDRAM.   =D

Ouch! How much do you have in them?

I'm upgrading a client's right now that uses RDRAM.  I found a good deal on "refurbished" from one of my wholesalers, $20 for a 256MB stick.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 09:44:52 PM »
Before you buy any more at that price, you can get a 1Gb set of 4 each 256Mb sticks, for between $25.00-$40.00 on eBay. 

I sold many of the same IBM Intellistation M-Pro workstations to my clients, and recently bumped several of their machines to 1Gb RDRAM. 

(There are 8 memory sockets in these particular machines, allowing up to 4Gb RDRAM)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 09:54:45 PM »
That's a great price, Gewehr.  I'll have to check it out next time I need some. 
I only needed two sticks very quickly, and my wholesaler had just made these available that day at the $20 price.  It was more of a convenience thing, really.
I do the eBay thing from time-to-time.  My latest foray resulted in my being stiffed, however.  Never received the merchandise.  It was a special, extremely hard to find I/O plate that fit an OEM motherboard, needed for an upgrade to a client's machine.  Time for Plan 'B'.  Sigh...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:58:22 PM by RocketMan »

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »

I have 5 Xeon-based computers here that use RDRAM, the PC800-45 ECC stuff. 

I've been buying the 512Mb RIMMS lately, right around $90.00/pair.   =D

PC800 is what the 8100 I have uses.

Blech.

Brad
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »
Chris -- I just looked and all I have is two 16 x 64mb sticks. They're yours if you want them though. If so, just PM me a mailing address.

For anyone else, since you were talking about them, I also found four 64MB 800-45's. Also free to anyone who can use them. I don't have any machines here to test them, but they should be good. I have a habit of pulling RAM from machines I'm dumping or surplusing for just in case, so they've basically just been sitting in a drawer for years. First PM gets them.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 12:13:14 PM »
Thanks Ben, but those are smaller than what I have installed already (128mb, right?).

I have two 256mb and one 64mb, I'd like to replace them all with 512mb sticks.  I can find them online, but it'll cost me about $100ish,which is crazy for 1.5gb (recently paid $35 for 2gb).

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 12:22:08 PM »
No problem -- figured they'd be too small, but wanted to keep my word on looking for them. :)