Author Topic: Hurray -- Carbon Free Sugar!  (Read 5497 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hurray -- Carbon Free Sugar!
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:22:18 AM »
I'm so excited for the environment! Not so excited for the US science education system.

http://www.dominosugar.com/CarbonFree/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Azrael256

• friend
Re: Hurray -- Carbon Free Sugar!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 10:53:08 AM »
Carbon free sugar...  Shouldn't the bag be floating?  Or did they concoct some kind of silico-hydrate?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 11:00:13 AM »
Quote from: Wikipedia
Glucose (a type of sugar found in human blood plasma) has the molecular formula C6 H12 O6.

So.....Domino is going to sell me a bag of water to sweeten my morning coffee?....

Maybe I can brew my coffee with this to offset the taste....

http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/

;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 11:19:15 AM »
BWAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!

"...carbon is a major source of global warming..."

So we need to do everything possible to cleanse the world of evil carbon!

So.....Domino is going to sell me a bag of water to sweeten my morning coffee?....

You are evil incarnate seeker_two!  Your morning coffee should be free of evil sugar, like mine.

Which is now all over my keyboard and monitor. 

Expect a bill for the replacement Ben.   =D
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 11:22:29 AM »
As long as nobody tries to sell me a bag of "Carbon Free" garlic, we're all good.

Yeah, that's an obscure chemistry joke... garlic gets it's flavor from organosulfur compounds, take the carbon out and you get hydrogen sulfide.

Now that I write it, kind of lame... *shrug*.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 11:45:06 AM »
Pfft. Why would I buy sugar that's not organic? Seriously.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 11:59:45 AM »

Expect a bill for the replacement Ben.   =D

No problem, I just made a bundle investing in carbonless sugar. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 12:07:34 PM »
To anyone who paid attention in biology "carbon free sugar" is both hilarious and saddening at the same time.  Being as carbon molecules are required to form glucose, IE sugar.
Look, tiny text!

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 01:25:33 PM »
To anyone who actually read the FAQ on that site, they are not claiming that their sugar doesn't contain carbon.  Their choice of terms may be unfortunate, but they clearly state that their use of "carbon free" is intended to mean that the product has a neutral carbon footprint.

I remember my HS chemistry teacher had some sort of food product with the label "chemical free."  Things like that, and this, are amusing, but let's not pretend that the people who made them actually thought there were no chemicals (or carbon) in what they were making.  That's simply not the case.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 01:43:09 PM »
that their use of "carbon free" is intended to mean that the product has a neutral carbon footprint.

I understand that's what they were getting at, and apparently they've been pulling this ad because of the lousy PR terminology, but even so, they are not carbon neutral. That's politically possible, but not physically possible.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »
Why is that?  I don't know enough about this sugar to defend their claim that it has a neutral carbon footprint, but why do you claim that a neutral carbon footprint is impossible?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
I remember my HS chemistry teacher had some sort of food product with the label "chemical free."  Things like that, and this, are amusing, but let's not pretend that the people who made them actually thought there were no chemicals (or carbon) in what they were making.  That's simply not the case.

I remember seeing a picture of a front of a dry-cleaning shop that read "We only use Organic chemicals."

:laugh:

I think the *expletive deleted*bag in the commercial has been eating too much reduced carbon sugar like lead acetate if he believes the crap that he's selling.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mfree

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 05:54:10 PM »
"but let's not pretend that the people who made them actually thought there were no chemicals (or carbon) in what they were making.  That's simply not the case. "

I don't care what they *thought*. It's what they *said* that's ridiculous.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 05:56:21 PM »
Why is that?  I don't know enough about this sugar to defend their claim that it has a neutral carbon footprint, but why do you claim that a neutral carbon footprint is impossible?

They appear to be using "carbon credits" to get their "net zero" output. The crops have to be harvested with machines using fuel, rolling on rubber tires, being transported by trucks. Refining and packaging have to use power of some kind, and even if it's 100% solar, you have solar panels and batteries, the manufacture of which is not carbon neutral. It's like someone driving around in their electric car saying they're not polluting, but plugging it in at night to recharge from grid electricity courtesy of coal.

Nothing at all wrong with using renewable energy, or reducing your "carbon footprint" if that's what someone wants to do, but carbon output in some form or another, at some level or another, is still occurring.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »
It's proof positive that the whole thing has gotten way, Way, WAY out of hand.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 07:11:40 PM »
Quote from: Ben
The crops have to be harvested with machines using fuel, rolling on rubber tires, being transported by trucks. Refining and packaging have to use power of some kind, and even if it's 100% solar, you have solar panels and batteries, the manufacture of which is not carbon neutral...

Nothing at all wrong with using renewable energy, or reducing your "carbon footprint" if that's what someone wants to do, but carbon output in some form or another, at some level or another, is still occurring.

It's still possible to reduce those CO2-producing activies/machines to the point where they can be offset them completely by doing (or funding) other things that pull CO2 out of the air.  There is no thermodynamic principle making it impossible to reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »
There is no thermodynamic principle making it impossible to reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

No, of course not, but the operative word is reduce. There's nothing we can do however, to create zero carbon emissions from humans, short of deciding to stop breathing. The sugar company advertising said zero carbon. Carbon trading is not physically reducing the carbon output of the actual sugar production process.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 08:12:55 PM »
I have a serious question.

From what I understand, this company (and others like it) operates on the principle of making their production process as 'clean' as they can, and then  donating some money to carbon-credit people to off-set the remaining CO2 footprint.

But, what activities do carbon-credits actually fund?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 11:24:20 PM »

Al Gore's light bill?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 11:29:40 PM »
Al Gore's light bill?

Ding ding ding ding!!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 12:09:49 AM »

Why, the very same thing that Indulgences did in the Medevil world. 
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 06:35:16 PM »
All Domino's is doing is positioning itself as a company with surplus carbon credits so that it can sell some of the excess in the carbon credits market enriching Al Gore, Maurice Strong, and Hank Paulson.

What we should be bemoaning is the level of slobbering, whimpering servitude to which we have fallen.  We should be crawling into the faces (metaphorically speaking) of companies who stake their futures on participation in lies.  We should be explaining politely (for now) that we have no intention of providing them with our money which enables them to play the lie.  Carbon gamesmanship is nothing more than Our Better's means of getting us to slip the dog collar around our own necks.  It is enslavement and nothing less.

Excuse me while I go outside to cook hamburger on a charcoal grill.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 08:52:35 PM »
No problem, I just made a bundle investing in carbonless sugar. :)

I just invested my nest egg in iron-less steel.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 09:00:51 PM »
I have just one question. I know we have very large tariffs on sugar in order to protect companies such as this.

Didn't a number of our founding fathers make their fortunes smuggling sugar?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 09:32:10 PM »
I have just one question. I know we have very large tariffs on sugar in order to protect companies such as this.

Didn't a number of our founding fathers make their fortunes smuggling sugar?

Today we know better. Smugglers and bootleggers are unpersons. Did you miss the last century, Comrade?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner