Author Topic: Hurray -- Carbon Free Sugar!  (Read 5499 times)

buzz_knox

• friend
Re: Hurray -- Carbon Free Sugar!
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2009, 12:39:43 PM »
Al Gore's light bill?

It would take a lot of credits to cover those megawatts, not to mention the gas powered driveway lights and the private jet.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2009, 01:47:22 PM »
I have a serious question.

what activities do carbon-credits actually fund?
If that really is a serious question I have no idea why you'd expect a serious answer from this group. If you're looking for ManBearPig jokes on the other hand... ;/

Anyway, judging by this site it looks like they are mainly supposed to pay for carbon sequestration, reforestation, and investment in renewable energy and efficiency.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 01:49:19 PM »
If you dislike the posters on this forum (and feel the need to insult us whenever you can) I wonder why you post here?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 02:13:43 PM »

Anyway, judging by this site it looks like they are mainly supposed to pay for carbon sequestration, reforestation, and investment in renewable energy and efficiency.

See this is my point. I was waiting for someone to post this.

It is POSSIBLE to off-set the release of CO2 into the athmosphere by funding actvities that reduce the amount of CO2 in there (I don't know that research into 'renewable energy' in the future actually does that directly). If you fund (a pound of sugar + off-setting the CO2 release that occured in the production of this pound of sugar), then you are, effectively, funding a zero net emission process.

If you are a person that believes releasing CO2 into the athmosphere is bad, then maybe this is what you should do.

It's certainly not dumber than people who pay extra money to ensure their food is kosher or halal.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 02:24:09 PM »
It is POSSIBLE to off-set the release of CO2 into the athmosphere by funding actvities that reduce the amount of CO2 in there (I don't know that research into 'renewable energy' in the future actually does that directly). If you fund (a pound of sugar + off-setting the CO2 release that occured in the production of this pound of sugar), then you are, effectively, funding a zero net emission process.

That's the theory, but it's not what happens.  Most of the techonology to make carbon offsets worthwhile is still somewhat speculative.  Planting trees is a real world solution, but it takes a while before the offsets really get going.  By that time, you've already produced more than the tree is going to take care of. 

Currently, the offset programs are primarily good for allowing people to feel (or more accurately claim) that they are doing good.  If you can afford enough carbon credits to offset private jet use, you won't be able to afford the private jet.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »
Yeah, but we're not talking about private jets here, we're talking sugar.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 02:44:34 PM »
Yeah, but we're not talking about private jets here, we're talking sugar.

We're talking about both really. To get "carbon free" sugar, they likely artificially compartmentalized the product line.  Only a certain portion of overhead was allocated to that product line (instead of being spread around as you would with any mass-market product).  If the execs travelled to X to discuss products including this one, the other products got the full overhead expense, not this one.  The same with telecons (which generate carbon in and of themselves) or equipment upgrades (lots of carbon there).  That way, they reduce the offsets they have to buy. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »
To anyone who actually read the FAQ on that site, they are not claiming that their sugar doesn't contain carbon.  Their choice of terms may be unfortunate, but they clearly state that their use of "carbon free" is intended to mean that the product has a neutral carbon footprint.

Isn't carbon a neutralizer of sorts anyway (as it's used in all sorts of filters and deodorizers)? ???
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 10:56:26 AM »
Isn't carbon a neutralizer of sorts anyway (as it's used in all sorts of filters and deodorizers)? ???

I think carbon dioxide is what we're really talking about.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2009, 11:17:44 AM »
Want to reduce CO2.................stop breathing...........chris3

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2009, 02:08:17 PM »
Well since sugar contains a lot of carbon molecules, wouldn't producing sugar 'capture' carbon  ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2009, 02:39:20 PM »
Well since sugar contains a lot of carbon molecules, wouldn't producing sugar 'capture' carbon  ??

Producing ANY plant would "capture" carbon.

Quite literally as plants use CO2 for photosynthesis.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2009, 03:17:21 PM »
Producing ANY plant would "capture" carbon.

Quite literally as plants use CO2 for photosynthesis.

Producing a product from said plant generates CO2.  It also precludes that plant from capturing any further CO2.

We need to stop vegetarians!  They are killing the plants that will save the world!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2009, 09:50:18 PM »
Producing a product from said plant generates CO2.  It also precludes that plant from capturing any further CO2.

We need to stop vegetarians!  They are killing the plants that will save the world!

Either that....or make them breathe CO2 to make up for the loss....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »
Carbon free sugar?  I'll settle for tax free sugar.

:mad: