Author Topic: OK. I'm getting spooked on 1984 invading 2010  (Read 5503 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
OK. I'm getting spooked on 1984 invading 2010
« on: December 07, 2010, 02:00:25 AM »
This is getting out of hand.

In the coming months, the Department will continue to expand the “If You See Something, Say Something” campaign nationally with public education materials and outreach tools designed to help America’s businesses, communities and citizens remain vigilant and play an active role in keeping the county safe.

http://drudgereport.com/flash2n.htm

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: OK. I'm getting spooked on 1984 invading 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 02:03:28 AM »
Soon, next to the "report to moderator" button there will be a "report to DHS" button required on all message boards.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 03:51:49 AM »
I'm reporting this thread to Big Brother (aka Jamis)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 07:57:53 AM »
I'm reporting this thread to Big Little Brother (aka Jamis)

FTFY

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 08:10:23 AM »

I'm reporting this thread to Bigfat little Brother (aka Jamis)

FTFY

Chris

FTFY

Okay, on to the OP:

Anyone remember that right after the Patriot act, Bush asked postal carriers, etc, to keep their eye on everyone?  I'm not diminishing the big brother creep of the "See something" campaign, but its certainly not new.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 08:19:10 AM »
what is it you fear?

you do know that there are and have been programs for a variety of trades/professions that have access to folks homes?  and thus far the "ministries" haven't trampled folks that i'm aware of. well a few meth labs and some child abuse  but i'm not shedding many rears
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 10:12:17 AM »
what is it you fear?

you do know that there are and have been programs for a variety of trades/professions that have access to folks homes?  and thus far the "ministries" haven't trampled folks that i'm aware of. well a few meth labs and some child abuse  but i'm not shedding many rears

Hate speech.  Cyber bullying.  It is not a stretch to imagine people being turned in for all kinds of "crimes". 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 10:23:48 AM »
i'm not shedding many rears

how many have you to spare?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 10:57:19 AM »
You're just now noticing the bubbles coming up from the bottom of the kettle  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 11:01:46 AM »
what is it you fear?

In brief, it's this:

I do a lot of stuff other people can find 'creepy'/'dangerous', etc. I can see that a person who doesn't know me - say a neighbor - could become freaked out at some of the stuff I do and take me for a bad guy/terrorist. This is why I am discrete about the strange stuff I do. I have in fact been interrogated by law enforcement at one point because they thought I looked 'suspicious'.

None of this is dangerous if you're a straight-tie-three-piece suit guy. If you deviate from the norm, tho...

CITIZEN! THE UNAUTHORIZED DRUG DEALER IS YOUR ENEMY! STOMP UPON HIM!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 11:12:37 AM »
The obvious answer is if you're bothered by this is a DDOS attack. Flood the system with innocuous reports, preferably ones that have some superficial plausibility.

The downside is that AFAIK, there's not much of a mechanism to embarrass Walmart or DHS specifically, and local LEA's (with lots of legitimate duties) would be taking it on the chin to make this point.

Propaganda-based security encouragement to be vigilant is just more security theater anyway. Such messages just blend into the background noise of life too quickly to have any real impact IMO. Human nature being what it is, I see these as being about as effective as speed limit signs on the freeways after a month, if not less.

In theory at least, does not everyone already "know" they're supposed to notice suspicious/criminal activity and say something? It's kind of like a campaign to encourage proper wiping in the bathroom. Either you already do, or...  :-X

Designating specific people as "observers" or nosy old ladies as "block captains" with an actual defined reporting structure to DHS or something, then I'll be concerned.

I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 11:20:21 AM »
The obvious answer is if you're bothered by this is a DDOS attack. Flood the system with innocuous reports, preferably ones that have some superficial plausibility.

The downside is that AFAIK, there's not much of a mechanism to embarrass Walmart or DHS specifically, and local LEA's (with lots of legitimate duties) would be taking it on the chin to make this point.

Propaganda-based security encouragement to be vigilant is just more security theater anyway. Such messages just blend into the background noise of life too quickly to have any real impact IMO. Human nature being what it is, I see these as being about as effective as speed limit signs on the freeways after a month, if not less.

In theory at least, does not everyone already "know" they're supposed to notice suspicious/criminal activity and say something? It's kind of like a campaign to encourage proper wiping in the bathroom. Either you already do, or...  :-X

Designating specific people as "observers" or nosy old ladies as "block captains" with an actual defined reporting structure to DHS or something, then I'll be concerned.

The idea of seeing Jamis on the 10 o'clock news being frog-marched out of his house in handcuffs and underoo's does have a certain appeal....... :P :police: >:D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »
I do a lot of stuff other people can find 'creepy'/'dangerous', etc.

Asperger's would be a handy diagnosis.

Nightwatch.  (Someone is using the name without a trace of irony.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »
Yes, I know these programs are not new. Well 'this one is. What do I fear?  Mission creep. It will happen. The Patriot Act is proof if that n
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 12:44:36 PM »
CITIZEN! THE UNAUTHORIZED DRUG DEALER IS YOUR ENEMY! STOMP UPON HIM!

drugs? meh?  dealer?  yea he brings baggage    meth lab?  you're outa here! b i hate loud noises and big fires

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 12:48:14 PM »
Yes, I know these programs are not new. Well 'this one is. What do I fear?  Mission creep. It will happen. The Patriot Act is proof if that n

It just shows how incompetent the .gov is in some matters. If all the mission creep were all directed at sufficiently foreign-looking/brown people (at first) they could get away with so much more.

Unfortunately for them, they were stupid, and started groping nuns, grannies, airline stewardesses, and children FIRST and America woke up a bit.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 01:19:25 PM »
Anyone remember that right after the Patriot act, Bush asked postal carriers, etc, to keep their eye on everyone?
That's why I use UPS or fedEx to deliver suspicious long narrow boxes or heavy crates to my doorstep instead of the Post Office. :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »
mailmen have been keeping an eye out since before we were born    paper carriers too.  pest control guys see a ton. as do the guys who collect the trash

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »
mailmen have been keeping an eye out since before we were born    paper carriers too.  pest control guys see a ton. as do the guys who collect the trash

Nobody much comes around our place  =)

Mailbox is a quarter mile away down on the county road, and what trash we don't burn we have to haul to the dump ourselves.

Got rifles for the pests  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin