Author Topic: Can I use my .570 double rifle for HD?  (Read 5464 times)

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
Can I use my .570 double rifle for HD?
« on: February 27, 2007, 05:56:18 AM »
Hi,

I just thought I'd start one of those threads where a person only has one firearm and they post to ask if they should use it for home defense, as if they would be better served by using a hypothetical gun they don't have.   

Your part is to argue about how suitable my gun would actually be for home defense and what arm would be most appropriate. 

Iain

• friend
Re: Can I use my .570 double rifle for HD?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 06:01:37 AM »
Always be prepared for any possible scenario. For instance if you, like me, live near a safari park then a .570 might be merely just enough gun. Don't be worrying about over-penetration when the possibility exists that the rustling about downstairs is a Cape Buffalo.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 06:03:32 AM »
In some cases, a .570 double would be ideal for home defense.

First off, there's no such thing as a commercial .570 cartridge in production today for double rifles, so you'd be using custom ammo that you could tailor to your own requirements.

Second, being a double, there wouldn't be any of the current stigma that hunters like Jim Zumbo attach to semi-automatic rifles.  rolleyes

Third, one-shot stop percentages ought to be very high.

Fourth, if an elephant in musth escapes from the local circus, you'd be ready.

Go for it!

grin
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 06:04:03 AM »
I prefer the .600 Nitro Express myself, but dropping down in power to the .570 will give you a quicker follow-up shot.
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 06:08:45 AM »
While all the stories we read on THR about rhinos and elephants breaking into homes, the .570 is perfect for home defense as long as solids are used.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 06:16:54 AM »
If you shoot a zombie with a .570, do you still have to shoot for the head?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 06:51:51 AM »
No.  With large diameter bullets like the .570, if you shoot for the zombie's chest you'll still hit his head.

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 06:55:39 AM »
Thanks for your support, guys.  Without your reassuring comments, I would have been too embarassed to use my old double in a home defense situation, so I probably would have thrown a lamp at the bad man.

Hope this isn't too off-topic, but what's the best home-defense lamp or vase for throwing? 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 07:05:21 AM »
I prefer the .600 Nitro Express myself, but dropping down in power to the .570 will give you a quicker follow-up shot.

I would think that'd best be paired with a thermal imager, so you can see where the person you're trying to shoot at is...four or five walls in the distance.

Pretend it's a railgun. Cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 07:22:04 AM »
Unless I've missed something in the world of British big game rifles, there never has been a .570 double rifle.

.577 Nitro Express (and before that, black powder express) was a standard in Africa, though.

That said, I think a mythical rifle in a mythical caliber would be PERFECT for home defense, because everyone knows that firearms are NEVER successfully used to defend oneself in the home, or anywhere else. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 07:29:35 AM »
Hope this isn't too off-topic, but what's the best home-defense lamp or vase for throwing?
A big heavy one.  As long as it is big and heavy, it doesn't matter if you throw it slow.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 07:43:03 AM »
The 570 is merely a 600NE set to stun. grin
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 07:59:18 AM »
.600 NE is for pansies, all tough guys need a .585 Nyati for home defense.

For the lamp, tough guys throw lamps made from 8" iron cannon balls.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 08:00:20 AM »
Thanks for your support, guys.  Without your reassuring comments, I would have been too embarassed to use my old double in a home defense situation, so I probably would have thrown a lamp at the bad man.

That would be the Tiffany-style lamp.  Ahead of it's time really.  Back in the days when many folks were still depending on burning oil splashover to cause wounding effects beyond impact, Tiffany developed the first of the "pre-fragmented shade" lamps which used a unique "stained glass window" design to both maintain mass for energy and impact yet provide for multiple shards of glass for ancilliary wounding on impact.  

When the transition from oil to electricity occurred, users of Tiffany-styled defensive lighting were not left crippled.

A lighting success story really.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 08:05:52 AM »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
The best lamp is the one you got from your sister-in-law that goes with nothing you own.  In fact, use it as a coup d grace even after plugging a goblin with your trusty .577.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 09:23:55 AM »
Obviously my post would have gotten a better reception if you troglodytes knew anything about interior design...  rolleyes

grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 09:40:04 AM »
Obviously my post would have gotten a better reception if you troglodytes knew anything about interior design...  rolleyes

grin

Yeah, but Louis Comfort Tiffany was a fluff. Frank Lloyd Wright was the MAN. Even the head of Johnson Wax, after commissioning him to do his building, said "First he was working for me. Then we were working together. And then I was working for him."

Plus his lamps were made of things like hammered iron and copper. Smack someone with one of those, they're going nappytime.  grin

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 09:43:09 AM »
Unless I've missed something in the world of British big game rifles, there never has been a .570 double rifle.

My mistake.  The rifle is indeed a .577.  Now I know why my .570 bullets have yielded such poor accuracy. 

Mike you are also correct about guns being useless for home defense.  I think I WILL use a hypothetical gun for home defense, as it cannot be taken away from me and used against me. 

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 11:09:13 AM »

grin

Yeah, but Louis Comfort Tiffany was a fluff. Frank Lloyd Wright was the MAN. Even the head of Johnson Wax, after commissioning him to do his building, said "First he was working for me. Then we were working together. And then I was working for him."

Plus his lamps were made of things like hammered iron and copper. Smack someone with one of those, they're going nappytime.  grin

Okay, you're off the trog list.

Tiffany's lamps had brass bases but also the glass shards.  I want my home invader unconscious and bleeding.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 11:24:45 AM »
A big heavy one.  As long as it is big and heavy, it doesn't matter if you throw it slow.

As long as it doesn't compromise accuracy.  What effective range are you seeking?

If you're not throwing, the 500w halogen torch makes an excellent home defense lamp.  Blind, sear, and smack.  Repeat.
For entertainment purposes only.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 12:21:19 PM »
It should work fine on a Harley Davidson, aim for the gas tank!  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 04:04:37 PM »
Only if your home is in or near Jurassic Park...  shocked
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 08:11:55 PM »
What if two shots aren't enough???

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.