Author Topic: This is interesting... current predictions on mid-term Senate elections...  (Read 4764 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/democrats-heading-toward-big-losses-154500875.html

This is sounding as if it could be a real problem for the Dems.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Having a hard time believing this, given the results of many special elections at all levels across the country in the last year.  Even some hard red seats that were considered safe have flipped.  Democrat momentum is pretty strong.  Or Democrat cheating is pretty strong.  Or both.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Having a hard time believing this, given the results of many special elections at all levels across the country in the last year.  Even some hard red seats that were considered safe have flipped.  Democrat momentum is pretty strong.  Or Democrat cheating is pretty strong.  Or both.

From what I've seen, that's usually because the republican candidate is just that bad.  Don't forget that the minority party usually gains seats during midterms.  Especially if the president is unpopular.  Trump's popularity is... interesting.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Well it is interesting that the number of seats up for election is almost all D. So there is no upside for them, no chance to flip the Senate. With that in mind I bet the weakest senators get forgotten by the money machine and all the cash, smearing, and poo flinging gets awarded to any house candidate that looks like they can flip a seat.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
All I remember is the state elections in Virginia and then Alabama.  There were 2 or 3 others that the Republican won handily earlier in the year.  I really don't think those reflected on anything but the local races.  The negatives on the R candidate were fairly large if I remember.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
IMO, the Dems are still selling the same stuff that Hilary talked about and they are doubling down on gun control.  If the R candidate doesn't suck, I think they have a decent chance of winning in most states.  I guess it depends on what the mood is in those states.  Some of those seats will be in heavily Democrat states so the Republican has an uphill battle anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
Well, Forbes just published an article that the Dems are going to be running in 2018 on a platform of RAISING taxes.  Top rate to go to 39%, corporate tax to increase to 25%, the alternate minimum tax to apply to lower income levels and therefore to be raised, and a doubling of the death tax. 

Maybe the D's will join the R's and be known as the Stupid Party II. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
Just remember, R's have a talent for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. A lot of the "R" swamp dwellers would much rather hand a seat to a "D" rather than a maverick "R."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
All I remember is the state elections in Virginia and then Alabama.  There were 2 or 3 others that the Republican won handily earlier in the year.  I really don't think those reflected on anything but the local races.  The negatives on the R candidate were fairly large if I remember.

Virginia Governor went from Democrat controlled to Democrat controlled.  So that was "no change" that the D's hailed as a huge victory.

In Alabama, it was the worst possible R candidate against a D cypher, who only had to NOT get caught naked with a dead woman or a live boy, to win.    Not a huge upset.   It will swing back to R at the next election.  
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MikeB

• friend
Virginia Governor went from Democrat controlled to Democrat controlled.  So that was "no change" that the D's hailed as a huge victory.

In Alabama, it was the worst possible R candidate against a D cypher, who only had to NOT get caught naked with a dead woman or a live boy, to win.    Not a huge upset.   It will swing back to R at the next election.  

Yeah. Roy Moore barely even won the last election he was in prior to that special election. He only won the primary due to 3 way split in the R side. He wasn’t popular to begin with. The media have hyped those wins as bigger than they are.