Author Topic: Cash for Clunkers unintended consequences.  (Read 10151 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Cash for Clunkers unintended consequences.
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2009, 12:51:04 PM »
One of those was in the parking lot at work a few weeks ago.

Weird.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Cash-for-Clunkers Great — for Japan
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2009, 01:17:42 PM »
Ummm, sorry, but the Honda's and Toyota's on the list are made in the USA, just not in Detriot or the Rust Belt.

And have the advantage of sticking with only one type of fasteners: every "American" car I've tried to do anything to that was made in the last decade has a mix of SAE and metric all over the place.  I can't count the bolts I've rounded over because I grabbed the SAE wrench that would fit the "American" part in the "American" car, only to find out too late that it was metric. (and, usually, that the label on the back of the part was in some language I've never seen before)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2009, 01:35:47 PM »
"And have the advantage of sticking with only one type of fasteners: every "American" car I've tried to do anything to that was made in the last decade has a mix of SAE and metric all over the place."

Oh man, I just about went nuclear when I discovered that quaint little factiod about my 1991 Plymouth Sundance.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 01:49:23 PM »
The more I learn about Cash for Clunkers, the more I agree that it's a crock of foul-smelling stuff, foisted upon the public by an administration trying to give the flagging auto industry another shot in the arm on the taxpayer's dime.   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2009, 01:54:39 PM »
If my Subaru qualified, I'd probably take advantage of it.

I figure what better way to piss off the lot of you?  :laugh:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2009, 04:12:31 PM »
The timing is poor.  I'm seriously looking for a replacement 5.7L V8 for the U-Boat in our collection. 

I can rebuild it, build up a short or long block, or buy a crate engine from GM, but I'd prefer to just find a good-running specimen at the wreckers. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"