Author Topic: Space Survivability of the B1B Lancer (theory)  (Read 11044 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Space Survivability of the B1B Lancer (theory)
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 06:48:43 PM »
I imagine that stealing the space shuttle would be much easier if it was already in space.  Perhaps stealing Sir Richard Branson's newest invention first, then hijacking the shuttle?  You could send out a fake SOS, dock with the shuttle, then storm the crew.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 07:12:31 PM »
Why not just have the SS2, or a similar craft, teleported across space? Cut out  the middle-man!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 07:42:19 PM »
Have the plane rematerialize in the middle of a gas giant.  No pressure issues.

Heck, depending on the chemical composition of the planet they materialize into, they might even be able to fire up the engines and fly around a bit.  It'd give 'em time to realize they aren't in Kansas any more.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:46:12 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

86thecat

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2009, 01:49:41 AM »
Instead of a B1-B can your characters borrow an Aurora? Since the next generation out of the Skunk Works hasn't been unveiled there would be some latitude for literary license.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009, 01:56:04 AM »
Why not a '58 Buick? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »
Is that a reference to Heavy Metal?  It has been a long time since I've seen it.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2009, 12:04:43 PM »
Somebody already did a fiction novel about the Space Shuttle being hijacked.

I can't quite remember the name or author, but it may have been Homer Hickam  ???

Anyway... if you're going to teleport somewhere - it should be to a planet of tropical islands with bare-breasted native maidens  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 02:33:32 PM »
Is that a reference to Heavy Metal?  It has been a long time since I've seen it.

Not that I know of.  I just figured if we were changing the type of vehicle, why not go all-out? 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »
Why not a '58 Buick? 

Will it go 88 mph  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 05:11:59 PM »

Anyway... if you're going to teleport somewhere - it should be to a planet of tropical islands with bare-breasted native maidens  =D

For the win!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2009, 05:48:35 PM »
Why not a '58 Buick? 
Didn't Heinlein do something like that in Number of the Beast? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2009, 09:00:40 PM »
Perhaps the effects of the time displacement have a radius (or the 4D equivalent) which transports a certain amount of atmosphere with them.  This remaining air keeps the skin from rupturing.  Further, the displacement removes them from the timestream in what seems to be an instant, but residual "chronons" prevent the atmosphere from instantly dispersing.  That way the loss of pressure is gradual.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2009, 01:21:32 AM »
Any theory I come up with must conform to known particle physics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_physics

Quantum entangled neutrino pairs play a very important role in my existing sci-fi novels.  Perhaps there is another theoretical state of matter or relationship I can exploit in this case.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2009, 11:39:14 PM »
I figure it'll blow seams, but the crew will most likely die from asphixiation, even with O2 supplements.  Freezing takes too long in vacuum - it's a very good insulator.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2009, 06:40:56 AM »
Any reason why the Lancer can't just appear inside the atmosphere?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
Have the plane rematerialize in the middle of a gas giant.  No pressure issues.

...not exactly.

There is an EXTREMELY large amount of pressure in the middle of a gas giant.  Just to put it into perspective, the hydrogen that is near the rocky core of Jupiter is under so much pressure that it's metallic.  The Galileo probe that was sent into Jupiter's atmosphere was destroyed before it got more than 140 km into the atmosphere, and it was made for that purpose.

The pressures nearer to the fringes of a gas giant's atmosphere might not be as bad, but then you'd have to deal with large amounts of radiation that is being released by the planet itself (though, this might not be as big an issue with Neptune or Uranus, but I am not certain).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2009, 10:20:36 AM »
Saturn is postulated to possibly have a temperature layer and pressure layer that may be compatible with human life, save for the lack of Oxygen. And due to it's low average density, it would have a gravity of close to 1g if there were somewhere to stand.

Put a Saturn-like gas giant closer to the Sun, and have some more CO2 in it's makeup, and some sort of airborne photosynthesis going to provide O2, and the B1B's main problem, assuming it appears at the right altitude would be fuel and somewhere to land.  =)
I promise not to duck.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 05:26:29 PM »
Materialize just outside of the operating envelope above a survivable atmosphere but hurtling, engines out, toward certain doom.

They can grasp the situation from the altimeter and start, say, engine restart procedures then black out from hypoxia and g-forces before the bird actually fails around them.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2009, 08:05:55 PM »
That is not a bad idea at all.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 08:14:32 PM »
I see what's going on now.  This Devonai character has no talent at all.  He just mines the interwebs for good ideas, and writes them down.  Mountebank.   :mad:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
I see what's going on now.  This Devonai character has no talent at all.  He just mines the interwebs for good ideas, and writes them down.  Mountebank.   :mad:

Maybe he should write a story about a Dyson sphere. But a skinny one, that's a loop. I don't think anyone's done that before.

Or maybe a series of stories about a guy who's effectively immortal, product of a freak breeding experiment. At about 4000 years of age, he time travels back to when he was a child and seduces his mother... Kind of kinky and off the wall, but at least that would be original.
I promise not to duck.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2009, 09:50:16 PM »
Devonai,

If it turns out to work for the story, feel free to use it.  Maybe name a red shirt after me.  Not enough Carberry's in books.

AJ,

Some kind of a "Hoop World"?  That's the stupidest idea for a book I've ever read.  Will one of the characters be a giant humanoid chinchilla that chatters before it springs or something?  ;/

And as for the eternal perv, what's next, a story about a talking car in the same continuity?

Hack.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2009, 10:02:58 PM »

And as for the eternal perv, what's next, a story about a talking car in the same continuity?

Only if it's a spaceship too. Otherwise it'd just be unreadable.

And clones.  [popcorn]

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2009, 10:13:20 PM »
The outside was made of Rene 41, a high nickle super alloy, I am pretty sure the corrugations were for temperature differences.

You can learn something new every day.  Thanks for the information, DustinD.
(I must sheepishly admit that I should have known that.  At one time I was rather geeky and knew everything a geek would have known about the construction of the Mercury capsule.  It's hell gettin' old.  They say the first thing that goes is the memory...)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2009, 10:42:25 PM »
I see what's going on now.  This Devonai character has no talent at all.  He just mines the interwebs for good ideas, and writes them down. 

I can't argue with that statement except to question the word "good."  :P

They say there are no original ideas anymore.  I just look for creative ways to shoot aliens in the face.