Author Topic: Space Survivability of the B1B Lancer (theory)  (Read 11042 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Space Survivability of the B1B Lancer (theory)
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2009, 11:29:32 PM »
...not exactly.

There is an EXTREMELY large amount of pressure in the middle of a gas giant.  Just to put it into perspective, the hydrogen that is near the rocky core of Jupiter is under so much pressure that it's metallic.  The Galileo probe that was sent into Jupiter's atmosphere was destroyed before it got more than 140 km into the atmosphere, and it was made for that purpose.

The pressures nearer to the fringes of a gas giant's atmosphere might not be as bad, but then you'd have to deal with large amounts of radiation that is being released by the planet itself (though, this might not be as big an issue with Neptune or Uranus, but I am not certain).
I didn't mean literally in the middle of the planet, ya big dork...

:P
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:33:12 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2009, 11:54:14 PM »

Or maybe a series of stories about a guy who's effectively immortal, product of a freak breeding experiment. At about 4000 years of age, he time travels back to when he was a child and seduces his mother... Kind of kinky and off the wall, but at least that would be original.

....kinda like a Doctor Who episode directed by Microbalrog.....I'd watch....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2009, 01:42:01 PM »
Maybe he should write a story about a Dyson sphere. But a skinny one, that's a loop. I don't think anyone's done that before.

Or maybe a series of stories about a guy who's effectively immortal, product of a freak breeding experiment. At about 4000 years of age, he time travels back to when he was a child and seduces his mother... Kind of kinky and off the wall, but at least that would be original.

I see what you did there.
Look, tiny text!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2009, 02:16:46 PM »
Submarines as space vehicles?

John "Oh no Ringo NO!" did it.

What's out in the boneyard that could be surreptitiously stolen and rebuilt?

Which book?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2009, 02:35:36 PM »
Which book?

Vorpal Blade, Manxome Foe, and one assumes The Claws That Catch (I haven't got to that one yet).  She might also have shown up at the end of Into the Looking Glass

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »
What about a DeLorean ?    :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2009, 05:10:41 PM »
My original idea involved a hijacked C-130, an experimental device activated, and the A/C transported to an alternate dimension (where it promptly crash-lands).  I could still go this route but I feel like alternate reality sci-fi has been clubbed to death.

The elements of the story that I've decided upon are:

1.  Artsy-fartsy guy falls in love with and gets engaged to an Air Force officer.  She is the chief research scientist involved in experimental weaponry for the military.  On the initial activation flight, the test bed platform (C-130, B1-B, etc) disappears.

2. The artist is told the A/C crashed with all hands lost.  There is something about the official story that doesn't add up, so he becomes obsessed with discovering the truth.

3. Either the artist pursues the investigation entirely on the outside or he joins the Air Force himself.  Either way, he eventually ends up with another version of the experimental weapon, hijacks a test bed, and attempts to cause the same anomaly.

4. The artist ends up in an alien world/alternate universe with anime chicks and robots and stuff.  He gets hints that his financee may still be alive, and begins his search.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!