Author Topic: If you're interested in ham radio, there's no excuse to not get a license...  (Read 15401 times)

cosine

• Administrator
If you're interested in ham radio, there's no excuse to not get a license...

http://kb6nu.com/extra-class-easypass-how-everybody-can-be-an-extra/

While the author outlines why he believes that there's no excuse for upgrading to an Amateur Extra license, I think the same reasoning applies to getting started in ham radio with the Technician's license.

Some sections from the article:

You don’t have to learn Morse Code (CW) any more as part of the exam process. The FCC took the CW requirements off the table a while ago, so there is absolutely no excuse what-so-ever why you can’t upgrade.

No code requirements anymore for any of the license classes. There goes that excuse.

Do Take Note of the Following…
They publish and freely distribute all of the exact questions, 738 in all, and all of the exact correct answers to the Extra Class Question Pool; fifty of which will be repeated exactly in the written exam the VE hands you, with at worst, a change in the order of the answers on your test sheet.

The VECs have weeded out and eliminated any imperfect or ambiguous questions and/or answers.

They even give you the exact wrong answers (actually called “distractors”), that are placed right alongside of those exact correct answers in order to… you guessed it… distract you. (But much more on this point later.)

You can bring along a simple calculator, which perhaps you might not even need, as there is only a moderate number of really scary math questions. (Remembering again that they give you every single one of the correct questions and answers to study beforehand.)

No longer are you herded in and out of some government holding pen by career Civil Service “professionals” who are simply counting the minutes until their lunch and/or break time. These days you take the exam in a comfortable and friendly environment, supervised by like-minded individuals who are very seriously interested in your success.

It’s “multiple guess” with only a total of four possible choices.

As there really isn’t even a fixed time limit set for the test, you could even spend a few hours taking the exam, but you really shouldn’t need more than forty or fifty minutes, and even that’s stretching it.

And finally… even if you didn’t follow the “Meat and Potatoes” found below, and have somehow actually managed to fail the exam, you can simply pay another fee, and take another exam all over again, and again, and again, if you need to, as often as you wish, as long as you can keep coming up with another fee.

Wow!!!!!!! If you don’t already realize it, the current Amateur Radio exams and testing procedures are really a gift, and the only thing I could possibly think of that could have made my test taking experience a more pleasant and enjoyable event, would have been if they had served me a cold beer and a medium well burger with fries & coleslaw while I was taking the exam :)

Oh by-the-way, that gift mentioned above is worth perhaps forty to sixty billion dollars, which is a conservative low end estimate of what the entire Amateur Radio Frequency Spectrum would bring if it were auctioned off to the commercial interests.

All the above applies to the Tech and General license too. They publish the exact question pool for the Technician and General class license as well. You know exactly the questions that could be on the exam.

Let me quote from page 1-8, section 1.4, second paragraph of the ARRL Extra Class Manual:

This study guide will provide the necessary background and explanation for the answers to the exam questions. By learning this material, you will go beyond just learning the answers. You’ll understand the fundamentals behind them and this makes it easier to learn, remember and use what you know. This book also contains many useful facts and figures that you can use in your station and on the air.”

Well written, well punctuated, well structured, concise, absolutely 100% true in its description, and a representative paragraph of a superbly well researched work detailing with every single technical, regulatory and operational area from which the entire Amateur Extra Class question pool is based. But please, do send me a stinging barbed posting, if any of you out there have ever actually managed to wade through all of those four hundred and seventy pages in just a few weeks, and managed to retain enough of it to pass the extra exam on the first shot. I would be seriously impressed if you had.

But do please take note that the above quote states quite clearly that it goes beyond what is required!

Now this is going to rattle the cages of a few of you purists out there, but here’s some further serious reality check. You are not being tested by the VEs on what you know, rather, you are being tested only on how well you know the answers to a random subset of fifty (50) questions selected from a specific set of 738 questions in the VEC pool. That’s all, nothing more.

The bar that you have to get over to pass the Extra Exam was set at a very specific and well defined level. It is absolutely unnecessary for an individual to expend inordinate amounts of valuable time and effort in preparing to go much beyond that bar. Perhaps though, some of you really do have the time and desire to do so, and this is rather commendable and I seriously admire those of you who are so inclined.

However, any extra work that is performed in the course of preparing to take the Extra Class examination for the rest of us, will at best be only a time consuming distraction from the primary task at hand, which again is to simply get thirty seven or more correct answers circled on the answer sheet the very first time you attempt it.

I can already hear the murmurs of discontent from the purists out there who will most certainly point out in sharply worded posts, as to how detrimental and destructive my thoughts are to the integrity of the hobby, or raise issues of the need for personal growth and self improvement, or go on about the technical standards which need be maintained, or perhaps even express thoughts over the preparation required to assume the roll of world wide ambassadors for the hobby.

And of course, there will also be the sad and quite melancholy thoughts which will be expressed over how much the hobby has changed from the “good old days”… rubbish… get over it… These are the “good old days” and please do try and remember that it’s a fascinating fun hobby, and not a calling to some more serious religious vocation.

Sorry, but the rules have been clearly formulated and set in place. The test taker needs only to be focused on an honest and above board process of learning all of the questions and their answers in the pool beforehand, and then pulling fifty of those answers out of their head in order to be able to circle the correct answers, nothing more.

There aren’t any requirements in place for any sort of prerequisite preparation in order to take the Amateur Extra exam, and there are no retesting or proficiency requirements anytime in the future. So any method by which an individual can honestly get to the magic thirty seven (37) is fair, good, noble, and pure of heart, and only needs to be done once. And of course, your passing of the exam helps to sustain and grow our hobby no matter what the purists might have to say about it.

So grasshopper… let me guide you on to the path of true Extra Class test taking enlightenment.

So true. I did something similar by taking several practice tests a day until I memorized enough answers to pass the Amateur Extra class.

If you're interested, do mash the above link. The second half of the post outlines a process learn enough of the material to pass the Amateur Extra exam, but there's no reason why the same thing couldn't be done to learn enough to pass the Tech or General class licenses as well, which, by the way, only consists of 35 questions and requires 75% correct to pass.

-Andy (pm me for my call sign if you're interested)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 12:03:27 PM by cosine »
Andy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Thanks for the info.  I missed the advanced class by one question back in '76 and if I'd made it, I'd have been grandfathered into the extra class... Not really that active except occasionally on 2M anymore.  Sold my ICOM (insert big number here) XCVR when I moved into an apartment... no antoonies allowed.  

Occasionally break out my one remaining HF rig, an ancient Heathkit  HW-8 QRP (CW, code-only) xmtr, string some wire around the living room and try to copy the mail:

Trouble is, my code is so bad nowadays, I can't even copy the repeater ID, and I know what it says!

I, for one, am glad they dropped the code requirement.  I barely passed the 13WPM for general class by a lot of guesswork.  Must have been dumb luck, 'cause it sure wasn't smart luck.

Terry, 230RN

(Pic credit in properties.... not my own actual rig, but looks just like it  --even the key!)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 12:53:02 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Uh... Why?

CB for nerds?

To listen to the paranoids?

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
So we're assuming the existence of people interested in ham radio?   :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Uh... Why?

CB for nerds?

Last I checked CB was limited to only four watts. With a the right HAM setup, however, you can talk to the other side of the world in the amateur bands. Eventually I'd like to get a AN/GRC-106. Right now all I got is the AN/VRC-53 (6 meter).

Beats the heck out of hearing about some local truckers newly acquired itch.

mtnbkr

• friend
Uh... Why?
 CB for nerds?

Lots of interesting engineering challenges in amateur radio.  My favorite is low power communications and alternative energy sources.  It's also fun communicating with folks around the world without any infrastructure between the two participants.  No towers, no intertubes, nothing owned or operated by govts, corporations, etc.

Still lots of us out there.

Chris

Barbara

I'm licensed although I don't do much with it.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
You don’t have to learn Morse Code (CW) any more as part of the exam process. The FCC took the CW requirements off the table a while ago, so there is absolutely no excuse what-so-ever why you can’t upgrade.

No code requirements anymore for any of the license classes. There goes that excuse.

And sweet jesus, some of the older hams bitch about this like nothing else...

Uh... Why?

CB for nerds?

As Mtnbiker said, for the challenge. There is so much you can do with ham radio...it sure beats any other form of easily available radio...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Why?

Why not!

The challange.

Helping with communications for marothons, bike rides/races, etc. etc.

Helping with communications during blackouts, disasters, etc. etc.

Would still get off on chasing tornados.

KB5UWT here.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
I'm kind of interested in the technical aspects, but the "talking to other people" aspect is kinda meh. That's what I have the intertubes for... ;)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
If there was a way to integrate ham radio and internet...  [popcorn]
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
If there was a way to integrate ham radio and internet...  [popcorn]

Like packet radio?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Hey, hammies, I don't think anybody here is really knockin' ya.  Just teasin'.  We're all gun types here.  We understand the joy of toys, skills, gadgets, etc.  No need to explain. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Always been interested in it. Just not enough hours in the day, or days in the week for everything that interests me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
I'm kind of interested in the technical aspects, but the "talking to other people" aspect is kinda meh. That's what I have the intertubes for... ;)

I don't really care much for the talking part either.  I just like to tinker.

Like packet radio?

D-Star's data capabilities are quite interesting.

Chris

White Horseradish

• friend
I keep thinking that it's nifty, an then I think "But what am I gonna say? 'Uh, hello?' 'Hello world'?"

In some jurisdictions a license can be practical. There are places where you have to be a licensed ham to have a scanner in your car.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
I don't really care much for the talking part either.  I just like to tinker.

Chris

Yeah. But I'd rather build bass effects pedals and such if I want to tinker w/ electronic stuffs.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Don't forget the significantly-cheaper-than-other-vanity-plates-in-most-states callsign license plates.  $2 initially and $1 per year here in TX.  I get to keep the same plate number as long as I renew my ham license, and I can have the same plates on up to four vehicles.  (Great way to mess with cops' minds.)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:25:50 AM by KD5NRH »

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Oh to hell with it, I'm finally going to do it this summer.  It's all ya'lls fault.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

mtnbkr

• friend
Yeah. But I'd rather build bass effects pedals and such if I want to tinker w/ electronic stuffs.

umm. ok.  Then build effects pedals.

Being a borderline prepper, amateur radio fits in well with that interest.  I may not like to *talk* to people much via radio, but I see the value in certain circumstances.  For example, when 911 occurred, the phones here were down for hours.  With AmRad, I could have gotten onto one of the message handling nets and gotten a short message out to my family (was a govt contractor at the time, they were worried)

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
I keep thinking that it's nifty, an then I think "But what am I gonna say? 'Uh, hello?' 'Hello world'?"

In some jurisdictions a license can be practical. There are places where you have to be a licensed ham to have a scanner in your car.

Join a "ragchewing" conversation. Use the amateur satellites. Receive and send slow scan TV pictures (if anybody is still doing that...), listen to conversations around the world. Do direction finding contests.

I listen a heck of a lot more than talking.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Amateur radio used for short-range non-emergency communications is a novelty if you ask me.  The two people I knew in high school who had licenses seem to have let them lapse.

Most serious hams who stick with it seem to be into the whole emergency response scene, or they go (or want to prepare to go) off the beaten track (camping, hiking, storm chasing, survivalism, etc), or else they have a license because they are very interested in antenna or radio design, or because their work involves commercial radio equipment so it's a small step from that to amateur radio land.

If you don't fall into one of those categories, then before you buy any ham gear, you might want to get a radio scanner (uniden makes some decent ones that decode unencrypted APCO 25 too) so you can listen to what actually goes on on the amateur bands.  If you do get heavily into ham communications, you'll want a scanner or three anyway (a scanner can monitor ham bands for traffic faster than a ham radio can).  If you discover amateur radio conversations are dull, you'll have a useful scanner -- that you can use for listening to all sorts of stuff -- rather than a ham radio that you'll never use.

The question pools for all the amateur tests are public.

The FCC license database is public record.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
The FCC license database is public record.

That's why I get a little hinky about giving out my call sign.  I had the zero-slash plates (Colorado) on my car for a couple of years because I thought they were neat. ("Whut's that 'O' with the crossbar through it?)  I just quit using the plates after I got older and more paranoid.  Still have the old ham plates sitting in a closet.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Amateur radio used for short-range non-emergency communications is a novelty if you ask me.  The two people I knew in high school who had licenses seem to have let them lapse.

Most serious hams who stick with it seem to be into the whole emergency response scene, or they go (or want to prepare to go) off the beaten track (camping, hiking, storm chasing, survivalism, etc), or else they have a license because they are very interested in antenna or radio design, or because their work involves commercial radio equipment so it's a small step from that to amateur radio land.

Ever occur to you that some folks just like to visit?  I know that vocal communications is a lost art on youngsters these day, but it still comes in handy from time to time.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 12:03:59 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB