Author Topic: Looking for LCD HDTV Suggestions $6-700  (Read 10954 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Looking for LCD HDTV Suggestions $6-700
« on: November 19, 2011, 01:05:08 PM »
So, I want to replace the hand me down 35" tube box with an HDTV in the 42"-47" range, 1080p and 120hz. It's going into a fairly small apartment living room, so I think that's the practical size limit. Anything will be an improvement, but I'm at information overload and I'd like feedback from the gang here.

Looking at these for general parameters. http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M421NV-42-Inch-1080p-Razor/dp/B004T1YACU/ref=sr_1_10?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1321724493&sr=1-10 and http://www.amazon.com/LG-42LK520-42-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B004OOS35C/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1321725057&sr=1-1

I don't currently have any audio equipment, so speaker quality is a factor. Saw a couple of 3D and internet app units. Those would be nice, but not sure if I'd use them.

All input appreciated,

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

drewtam

• friend
Re: Looking for LCD HDTV Suggestions $6-700
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 01:13:50 PM »
I got a big discount by buying a factory reman unit. 5yrs later and not a single problem.

I did research/questioned the seller to make sure I was buying a factory reman/refurb NOT a 3rd party job. Mine came with factory warranty etc.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
Vizio.  Mine rocks.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 01:48:59 AM »
We've had a 32 inch HD LCD Vizio for a couple of years now.  It's been a great set with very good image quality.
However, you should expect to connect a decent set of external speakers to one.  The internal speakers on the average LCD TV, in our experience, are pretty poor.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 05:18:40 AM »
We've had a 32 inch HD LCD Vizio for a couple of years now.  It's been a great set with very good image quality.
However, you should expect to connect a decent set of external speakers to one.  The internal speakers on the average LCD flat screen TV, in our experience, are pretty poor.

FTFY.

Oh, some are better than others, certainly, but overall, none of them are what you'd call "good", from what I've read. I keep meaning to pick up a soundbar or something (Lori's already put her foot down on the notion of a full-on 5.1 system for either the living-room or den TV), since neither of my Panasonic plasmas' speakers are much good.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 09:20:54 AM »
I've got a Vizio 32" TV about 6 months ago and it is doing great. 

My only experience with LG is my first blu-ray DVD player.  At about 1 year it stopped recognizing that is had a DVD inserted.  It kept saying I need to put in a disk.  I trashed it.  The cheap Sony's that Wal-Mart sells are pretty good.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »
Bought this one Friday after 5 and it's already been shipped. Only has a 90 day
warranty so I picked up the 3 yr warranty for $45 ...  ;)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-42-E421VA/16914373

http://www.vizio.com/review/product/list/id/390/?p=2
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 01:26:34 PM »
We bought this last year for $750 on sale.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-47-1080p-LCD-SV470M/10993798

We love it a lot, even the onboard speakers are pretty good, but I still have a home theatre system attached to it.

HD Football and baseball games are awesome on it.

I have seen it on sale down to $650.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 01:32:44 PM »
Thanks, all. That's helpful. Still looking, but I'm leaning toward a 42"-47" Vizio.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 05:55:51 PM »
Have you thought of going with a LED tv?  They may cost a bit more, but the picture goes from wow to WOW!

Here is a search on fatwallet.com:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/search/results.php?type=forums&query=led+hdtv&sort=&match=titles&forum=18
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 06:27:20 PM »
Vizio most defiantly. In terms of bang for the buck I truly think they are hard to beat.

Also get web enabled, more and more tv's are coming with this and it's great. Even if you don't have Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu Plus.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »
It might be worthwhile to check Dell's online TV prices.  I bought a Visio from them a year or so ago at a price that Walmart wouldn't touch.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 09:20:36 PM »
The deal: Best Buy is selling 42" Sharp LCD TVs for $199 on Black Friday.

The catch: Numbers are limited, and they'll only be available to those with tickets.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 12:45:56 PM »
Definitely not fighting a mouth-frothing crowd. I'll hold out for a free shipping online purchase.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 12:52:18 PM »
Check out WOOT.com, especially their close-out section.  Also keep tabs on newegg, amazon, and tiger direct.  They occasionally have screaming deals on closeouts.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 01:35:46 PM »
Have you thought of going with a LED tv?  They may cost a bit more, but the picture goes from wow to WOW!

Here is a search on fatwallet.com:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/search/results.php?type=forums&query=led+hdtv&sort=&match=titles&forum=18
the heat output also drops nicely. =) and walk off your viewing distance, and then again in the store. even a 40 is bigger then you think. :laugh: oh, and remember you're going to want to watch what ever news you like on it too. ever seen BW on a 40 inch screen? =| from 5> feet away? [barf]

if you go under 40 inch, from amazon. consider getting prime. i got it, when i ordered my samsung.(not a recommendation at the time it was just the best for me =D) 80 bucks, then paid the 4 bucks for over night shipping. tv came in with the box looking better then the ones in bestbuy, [tinfoil]

and you have it for the rest of the year, with streaming movies/tv shows. just remember to turn off the auto billing thing. [tinfoil]

it's really nice having prime right now. [popcorn]

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »
Reviving this with a follow up. After a couple of months of dithering, I ordered a refurb Vizio 47" LED from Amazon, along with a compatible soundbar/subwoofer.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 09:15:15 PM »
The Vizio would serve you quite well.  If the sound turns out to be a problem, you can hang a soundbar off of it and you should be good to go.

"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »
I need to get a soundbar. The sound from my Panasonic upstairs is getting a little buzzy.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
Reviving this one for 2 reasons. First, the TV picture.  :O :O :O It's almost surreal, like watching animation compared to the tube picture I'm used to. This is with coax input, since I realized my cable box doesn't have an HDMI out. The color values seem a little off, perhaps because I'm not sure what I'm looking at. And the audio from the soundbar and subwoofer is pretty awesome as well, even with analog input. The gunfire during Justiifed took on a whole new dimension of awesome. =D

Second, the problem. I have a cabled modem through Time Warner. Using ethernet cables and a splitter, the TV doesn't recognize the connection, though it does see surrounding wireless networks. What am I missing or doing wrong? I haven't tried connecting the TV straight to the modem. Will I have to alternate connections or upgrade to a wireless router to use Vizio apps? Thanks.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 12:25:01 PM »
You can't use a simple splitter for your ethernet connection.  You will have to either run a line directly to the modem or install some kind of router.  Non-wifi 4 port routers are cheap, cheap, cheap.

Also, a lot of flat panel TVs have a motion smoothing feature.  It makes me crazy because it makes everything look kind of artificial-plasticky-video(y).  If your picture has that quality you can turn the feature off.

Finally, ditch the coax feed to your TV and use either the component or SVHS connection (SVHS is sometimes labeled S-Video).  The coax feed is limited to 525 lines of resolution.  The coax and SVHS feeds will do 720.  It will clean up the colors, too.

Oh, the colors... if the colors seem a little too hot take a look at the demo setting.  Most FS units have a store demo setting that jacks the brightness, color, and contrast wayyyyyyy up so the pic looks good under bright showroom lights.  It's too much for home viewing.  That feature can also be switched off.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:31:01 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 12:51:09 PM »
Thanks. Figured. Any benefit to spending a litte more on a wireless router, aside fron not having 30' of Cat5 strung along the floor?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Gives you the option of running other things off it in the future including the Blu-Ray player you will inevitably buy.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:03:55 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »