Author Topic: Honda Odyssey problem  (Read 15148 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Honda Odyssey problem
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »
AFAIK, you can't replace the axle boots.  You have to replace the axle.  Maybe they have changed ...?

I'm sure Subaru is perfect for many people.  We had a bad experience with a used one from the only dealer in this half of the state, so I'm pretty sour.

Also, my mom and a neighbor have one, and I find the seats to be too low and hard to get in and expecially out of.  Our crappy little Chevy is much more truck-like and it is bad enough (a half ton 2wd pickup is about right for me - not too high and not too low).

Depending on the year you are right about the seats.  My Mom has a 2003 Legacy that I simply don't fit in and I'm a short guy - not Jamis short but who else is?

Her Tribecca and all the newer models are perfectly comfortable.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 04:24:21 PM »
I looked at a Tribeca when I was going to replace the first Outback, and I was pretty underimpressed.

But, I also looked at a newer (2009, IIRC) Forester.

I first drove a Forester in 2001 (probably a 1998 model or so) when I was contemplating my first Subaru, and I hated it. The new Forester is NOTHING like the old one I drove.

I came seriously close to buying a Forester instead of an Outback, but I just wanted that bigger car for Mason. Surrendering the entire rear seat to him, I still have a ton of cargo space in the back.

The one thing I don't much care for about Subaru is that their warranty, while decent, isn't all that great compared to a lot of other companies now. What it covers is fine, but it's still only a 3 year, 60K miles warranty. Most other companies have gone to 5 or even 10.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »
AFAIK, you can't replace the axle boots.  You have to replace the axle.  Maybe they have changed ...?

I'm sure Subaru is perfect for many people.  We had a bad experience with a used one from the only dealer in this half of the state, so I'm pretty sour.

Also, my mom and a neighbor have one, and I find the seats to be too low and hard to get in and expecially out of.  Our crappy little Chevy is much more truck-like and it is bad enough (a half ton 2wd pickup is about right for me - not too high and not too low).

You can replace the CV boots. You do not have to replace the whole axle.

Judging from what I'm seeing, there are also kits that allow you to replace the boot without disassembling the axle; a two piece boot kit. I'm not so sure about that...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »
I looked at a Tribeca when I was going to replace the first Outback, and I was pretty underimpressed.

But, I also looked at a newer (2009, IIRC) Forester.

I first drove a Forester in 2001 (probably a 1998 model or so) when I was contemplating my first Subaru, and I hated it. The new Forester is NOTHING like the old one I drove.

I came seriously close to buying a Forester instead of an Outback, but I just wanted that bigger car for Mason. Surrendering the entire rear seat to him, I still have a ton of cargo space in the back.

The one thing I don't much care for about Subaru is that their warranty, while decent, isn't all that great compared to a lot of other companies now. What it covers is fine, but it's still only a 3 year, 60K miles warranty. Most other companies have gone to 5 or even 10.

Same here except I have the cargo and dog reversed using a barrier.  I'm apparently asking too much of Maddie to stop trying to crawl into my lap while driving.  The barrier works great for this.

The Forester is tricky, it kind of looks better since the internal volume is taller.  However the usable space is a lot less than an outback now.  Also the pet barrier is so far back that there is not much space for the pup.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 04:39:23 PM »
Not sure how big your dog is, but Mason is 110 pounds, and is undersized for his breed.

I've always carted the dogs in the back seat, primarily because I don't need it to cart humans around.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »
Exactly 1/2 that size.  If I need to haul something boxy I can let her up front, but have to be ready to stop her before the cuddle attack.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »
You can replace the CV boots. You do not have to replace the whole axle.

Judging from what I'm seeing, there are also kits that allow you to replace the boot without disassembling the axle; a two piece boot kit. I'm not so sure about that...

Couldn't just replace the boots on the 90-something Legacy AWD.  But by that time the axles were ruined anyway.  We were told that once the boots are compromised that the axle is done.  Something of a question whether the muddy roads destroyed the boots (making the Subaru unfit for our location) or the boots were bad when we bought the car (you know, with the "128 point inspection" blah blah blah ).  The independent shop said it looked like somebody had opened up the boots to try to lubricate the axle.  I know that didn't happen after we owned it.  There was other stuff, like the engine light coming on conveniently the day after we brought it home.  Turned out to be a plugged cat convertor (not one of the 128?).  That would have been over a grand from Subaru but we had a local shop weld in a generic for a couple hundred.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »
Depending on the year you are right about the seats.  My Mom has a 2003 Legacy that I simply don't fit in and I'm a short guy - not Jamis short but who else is?

Her Tribecca and all the newer models are perfectly comfortable.

I've never even see one of those.  If it needs a 6, aren't you back in <20mpg again  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »
I've never even see one of those.  If it needs a 6, aren't you back in <20mpg again  ???

It gets around 23 MPG with a 6.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »
Couldn't just replace the boots on the 90-something Legacy AWD.  But by that time the axles were ruined anyway.  We were told that once the boots are compromised that the axle is done.  Something of a question whether the muddy roads destroyed the boots (making the Subaru unfit for our location) or the boots were bad when we bought the car (you know, with the "128 point inspection" blah blah blah ).  The independent shop said it looked like somebody had opened up the boots to try to lubricate the axle.  I know that didn't happen after we owned it.  There was other stuff, like the engine light coming on conveniently the day after we brought it home.  Turned out to be a plugged cat convertor (not one of the 128?).  That would have been over a grand from Subaru but we had a local shop weld in a generic for a couple hundred.

I remember talking about all the problems you had with that car in discussions past. And it still sounds to me that it wasn't really the car that was the problem, it was the people who (mis)maintained and abused it and the dealership that you got it from.

I know it's easy to blame the car and how you can be soured on it, but I really think you're misplacing your anger.

And, did you try replacing the boot yourself? Or did a dealership tell you it could only be a replacement axle?

My first Subaru was, I believe, a 1996 or 1997 (I'll have to go look) and I had a Hanes or Chilton manual for it, and one of the services they covered in the manual was how to replace the boots.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 05:00:34 PM »
Exactly 1/2 that size.  If I need to haul something boxy I can let her up front, but have to be ready to stop her before the cuddle attack.

The ONLY time I ever had problems was with the old Outback and Ruger. If I hit a rumble strip on the pavement, she was over that seat and into the passenger seat in a flash. For some reason those things terrified her, and the only way to get her back in the back seat was to pull the car over.

The only thing Mason does is every once in awhile he'll stick his head over the seat and lick my ear.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 05:06:23 PM »
Which is about what it gets with a four.  Compared to 28-33 on the Outback and Forester.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 05:10:51 PM »

I remember talking about all the problems you had with that car in discussions past. And it still sounds to me that it wasn't really the car that was the problem, it was the people who (mis)maintained and abused it and the dealership that you got it from.

I know it's easy to blame the car and how you can be soured on it, but I really think you're misplacing your anger.

And, did you try replacing the boot yourself? Or did a dealership tell you it could only be a replacement axle?

My first Subaru was, I believe, a 1996 or 1997 (I'll have to go look) and I had a Hanes or Chilton manual for it, and one of the services they covered in the manual was how to replace the boots.

Well I'm not too excited about buying a car for which the only dealer within hundreds of miles is crooked :(

The gals were down in Colorado when we finally discovered the axle problem.  And the service plan did not cover the axles becasue of the open boots  :facepalm:

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »
Axles on my 01 Outback were only $45 apiece and the originals make it to 170K. Only catch is wheel bearings, I can usually do any bearing with not much for special tools. I needed a press badly. I discovered this once my only vehicle was in a lotta pieces.  :facepalm:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 05:46:51 PM »

This is the 105K timing belt replacement. You do NOT want to cheap out on this particular maintenance item with ANY car that has timing belts and an interference engine. The results WILL be catastrophic if the belt breaks.

I submit you don't want to cheap out on timing belts, PERIOD - considering what a pain in the ass they are to get to.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 06:33:33 PM »
I submit you don't want to cheap out on timing belts, PERIOD - considering what a pain in the ass they are to get to.

Absolutely. I consider timing belts to be good for about 100k. Like I said, I'd have to see what the dealership is claiming to find out if they are full of BS or not. Personally I do all my own maintenance just to not have to deal with any shop bullshit (not to mention it's cheaper...)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 09:15:39 PM »
dealer wanted 950 for timing belt and water pump
private shop wanted 400
i called dealer asked if he could compete.  he did it for 425
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »
dealer wanted 950 for timing belt and water pump
private shop wanted 400
i called dealer asked if he could compete.  he did it for 425

I'm so mad at Rimrock Auto that I wouldn't even bargain with them.  We finally had the Legacy fixed at a shop in Gunnison that started out as just a salvage yard, but that guy seems to really know his stuff and doesn't screw you.  He remembered us from when we used to live there.  I can't remember what the total bill was ... seems like the axles were over $100 each just for parts (could be some extra shipping there).  Then he got all that done and started it up and the water pump started spraying  :facepalm:  So that must have been several hundred more and of course we did the timing belt ($100 ?) at the same time.  Must have been about $800 total  =|

One daughter took it to Michigan and she had more problems with it back there but now I don't remember what ....  She finally gave up on it and bought a Toyota van which turned out to be a total lemon (electrical/computer problems) and Toyota wouldn't fix it.  She had a big claim in through MI consumer affairs and I don't remember how that came out.  Then it got wrecked so that was the end of that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2013, 11:29:36 AM »
Scout, you mentioned this:

"My needs were: good FWD or preferably 4/AWD.  Manual Transmission."

That's getting to be a problem with a Subaru. It appears that only the base models are coming with manuals these days. If you start adding on stuff, you have to go either to the automatic or the flappy paddle sport shift transmission.

I looked for almost two years before I finally found the one I have. It's semi-loaded for its model year (leather, heated seats, a few other upgrades) but certainly wasn't the top of the line.

I've been keeping an eye on the used and new listings for some time, and I'm not seeing much in the way of manuals on anything other than very basic models or the sporty WRX.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2013, 11:32:51 AM »
It's hard enough to even find a pickup with a manual transmission anymore  =(

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2013, 11:44:32 AM »
Just for grins and giggles I did a "build your own" Subaru. You can still get the manual transmission on the base model and the premium, which is the next step up. Good thing is you can also get the All-Weather package (heated seats, heated mirrors) in the premium. The heated seats are nice, but the heated mirrors are absolutely awesome. I'll never buy a car again without heated mirrors. Not only do they clear ice, they also do a great job of clearing rain.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2013, 11:49:29 AM »
That's what I got, the premium model with the All weather package and one or two other options/upgrades.  The tray liner in the trunk back is awesome.  I went with Weathertech floor liners as opposed to the Subaru ones.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2013, 11:51:33 AM »
So what do y'all think about this:

2000 SUBARU Forester All Wheel Drive, 4 cylinder, auto, a/c, pw, pl, heated seats, great winter car, runs and drives excellent, looks nice, 131k miles, $3950

???

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2013, 10:25:29 PM »
2002 Subaru Forester L - $3,800
Permalink: http://cargur.us/yfRF
Fair Deal
You save
$12
View analysis
Dealer Rating
Read 3 reviews
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
2002 Subaru Forester L - $3,800
Permalink: http://cargur.us/yfRF
Fair Deal
You save
$12
View analysis
Dealer Rating
Read 3 reviews

210,975 miles  ;/   :facepalm: