Author Topic: Honda Odyssey problem  (Read 15142 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Honda Odyssey problem
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
Hence the discount.   =D ;)

As far as the car you posted.

Don't know.  I would have to go see it, fire it up and take it for a test drive (yes, with the owner in the car, especially if she's hot.  Or a hot Lesbian.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »
I pulled my service records and mapped out the non-maintenance-related issues we've had since purchasing the van.

•   June 11, 2011: AC Failure.  Replaced clutch and stator. Mileage: 56,606
•   June 18, 2013: Timing belt tensioner replaced, PS Pump replaced (making some noise, but
        not impacting performance), early timing belt service performed while
        replacing related components. Mileage: 92,419
Note: Started noticing subtle transmission irregularities and reported them.  No problem found by tech.  I embarked on a strategy of reporting the issue every few weeks to establish a pattern in case a failure occurred after the warranty expiration date.

•   July 27, 2013: Returned for suspected transmission issues, none confirmed Mileage: 93,274
•   August 14, 2013: Returned for suspected transmission issues.  Tech determined there was a problem
        after extended test drive (he had the van for over a week and actually drove it to/from home multiple
        times).  Transmission replaced under warranty.  Mileage: 93,364
•   December 5, 2013: AC-related failure.  Replaced relay and valve assembly. Mileage: 96,951

So, this year was the only bad year.  The repairs were not as numerous as I remembered.   Except the transmission, most of the repairs wouldn't have been terribly expensive at an independent shop.  The timing belt would have been an expensive job, but 92k miles is not all that early (official change interval is 110k). 

I sent a letter to Honda America and CCed the GM and Cust Service Manager for the dealership I purchased the vehicle from.  I've received great service from that dealership and have no complaints with them. 

If Honda comes back and offers an extended warranty for another 2-3 years and 40k-50k miles, we'll probably keep it.  There's no promise that the next vehicle will be any more reliable.  Not only that, the totality of these repairs, absent the transmission, would have cost less than car payments for a year.

Fingers crossed...

Chris

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2013, 07:38:04 PM »
well, still not as bad as the 95 windstar we had.  i was a die hard ford fan until then.  aside from the small items, it had the head gaskets replaced and 3 tranny's go bad by the time it had 120k.   i was so ticked at that van that i parted it out on ebay, just for the satisfaction of dismantling it.  it wasn't until after we had it that i read comments like "of course it's rated the safest minivan for '95, it never leaves the driveway."..........  :facepalm:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2013, 10:16:54 PM »
Thinking about trying to trade our Chevy HHR for an early vintage Ford Escape with not too many miles, if such a thing exists.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:33 AM »
My but that was brisk and bracing!

Not the wind, but the $1,670 I put on my credit card last night to get my car out of hock.

I knew it was going to be expensive, but you're never quite prepared for it, no matter how much you've told yourself that yes, it's going to be $1,500 plus.

At least I'm not prepared for it, primarily because I'm a cheap bastard.

But, I'm good for the next 105,000 miles.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2013, 11:25:23 AM »
Thinking about trying to trade our Chevy HHR for an early vintage Ford Escape with not too many miles, if such a thing exists.

You know the rear axle on those vehicles have CV joints.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2013, 11:44:21 AM »
You know the rear axle on those vehicles have CV joints.

Well of course, anything can fail or wear out.  And we've pretty much learned to not take the short way to town with anything but a full size pickup, and even then not when the road is very wet.

I keep bouncing back and forth between trading for a small/midsize AWD/4WD SUV, and just saying screw the gas mileage and get another somewhat newer Suburban (1992-2002).  There are a lot of them out there for sale, and a lot of used parts available if you need something (most parts interchange with the pickups).

We took trash to the dump in town yesterday, and I have to say that the 1989 K-1500 with 204K miles drives very nice and is much more comfortable than the little car.  It looks like hell - with busted windshield and faded paint and drivers door that rattles and whistles, but it still drives very nice.  I have no clue how the mpg is working out because I use it mostly for getting firewood which is basically all low range 4wd.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin