Author Topic: Any pina colada fans here?  (Read 3979 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Any pina colada fans here?
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
My brother makes wickedly good frozen margaritas...

He adds Amaretto, believe it or not.

Not too much that you can really taste it, but enough that it REALLY mellows the harsh edges of the tequilla.

Those things go down WAY too easily. A few years ago we absolutely wrecked ourselves on them...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2014, 03:20:46 PM »
What if there are no orange bitters at hand?

Gin neat!

Oh, the horror. ;)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2014, 03:21:35 PM »
My brother makes wickedly good frozen margaritas...

He adds Amaretto, believe it or not.

Not too much that you can really taste it, but enough that it REALLY mellows the harsh edges of the tequilla.

Those things go down WAY too easily. A few years ago we absolutely wrecked ourselves on them...

A splash of Frangelico can do the same for a Manhattan.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2014, 04:00:44 PM »
Fresca® and gin.
"It's good, though..."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »
Replace Gin with Vodka or White rum and I'd like it a lot more. I'm not a gin fan.

Nothing wrong with a vodka tonic,  it just doesn't taste like anything.  Never thought to try it with rum.
Tonight's a hot night.

I went to the store earlier.

What did I forget?

Tonic water and lime.

*expletive deleted*.

Only thing worse than that,  is having the whole house,  including all of your ingredients, at about 85 degrees.  And then realizing you have no ice.  :'(

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2014, 03:33:05 AM »
...asked for recommendations for an off-the-shelf pina colada mix. I received six suggestions on how to make my own...

A six to one bias?  There might be a clue there. 

My exposure to off the shelf mixes is limited and dated.  I found those I tried, and those I used at my employers' insistence when I tended bar, to be generally vile and inferior to simply mixing the unsweetened Thai coconut milk with unadulterated pineapple juice. 
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »
I asked this question of a bunch of cocktail connoisseurs on a drink forum, and was essentially told that if they had a newbie trying to make something like a pina colada in a hotel room, they'd run to the nearest nightclub. I've cleaned and loaded guns in hotel rooms, which I would think has much more danger potential than mixing juice and rum. I've also repaired leaky toilets in hotel rooms, which has the potential for flooding. I've done all sorts of complicated things in hotel and motel rooms.  I think these folks are a little over the top.

Anywho, I bought some Barcardi rum, some Finest Call mix, a couple of Hurricane glasses, and some little umbrellas. I'll get the ice and pineapple wedges right before making the drinks. Worst that can happen is that it will taste okay but not great.

Thanks for the suggestions, the reminiscences, and the Latin. ;)