Author Topic: New Madrid Quake  (Read 3196 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
New Madrid Quake
« on: February 07, 2022, 03:15:16 PM »
The New Madrid fault zone has always been fascinating for me, especially the geologic history behind it. Today, this showed up in my YouTube subscriptions. It's a really good The History Guy episode about the 1811-1812 New Madrid quakes. Used some eyewitness accounts I'd never heard before describing land- and river-associated effects.

https://youtu.be/nj-cYe9yMNU

Brad
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 03:55:41 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zahc

• friend
Re: New Madrid Quake
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 03:42:11 PM »
Does this impact as far north as Ohio?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 03:50:34 PM »
Informative and enjoyable video, thanks for the link.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 03:54:30 PM »
Does this impact as far north as Ohio?

He puts up a map at around the 3:16 mark. Looks like Ohio splits the difference between Areas of Damage and Shaking Felt.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 04:19:28 PM »
I do believe that is a similar quake would happen in the present time, there would be world record death numbers from it. There wasn't tall buildings and basements in 1811 like there is now.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 06:43:19 PM »
Intel is (supposedly) going to build a giant semiconductor fab in Ohio, and one of the reasons was "very low seismic activity".
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 08:11:42 PM »
I do believe that is a similar quake would happen in the present time, there would be world record death numbers from it. There wasn't tall buildings and basements in 1811 like there is now.

Building codes for the eastern states have had seismic resistance provisions in them for a couple of decades or more. When people ask why, the answer is almost invariably, "New Madrid."

But there's no way I can think of to retrofit buildings like the Empire State Building or the Chrysler Building for seismic resistance. The building code provisions only apply to new construction. Considering the rampant corruption and outright fraud attaching to building design and construction in New York City, if any new buildings in the Big Apple actually comply with the code requirements I would rate that a genuine miracle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 11:42:28 PM »
 You can still see areas of sand spews, and a few fault lines where there was vertical disruption.

A LOT of buildings in St. Louis City are brick construction. Not frame, with brick facades, like you suburbanites have... But BRICK, with the masonry holding all the stuffs up. Lots of the houses date to the late 1800s/early 1900s... I used to live in a building that was built for the 1904 World's Fair... The house I am in right now is cement block, no stairstepping, and was built in 1955... No gas service to it either (a major problem with quakes).
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 06:57:56 AM »
Intraplate earthquakes are relatively rare, but the problem with them is that when they do happen, they can be incredibly severe.

The 2011 Washington, DC, metro earthquake was an intraplate event. Did a fair amount of damage, but sure as hell shocked the *expletive deleted*it out of me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 07:57:19 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 08:16:41 AM »
The owners of these cars say your bird is full of chicken *expletive deleted*it...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 08:26:33 AM »
Oh my, a whole wall fell down.

I slept through a 6.7 once.  The aftershocks were stronger than the DC quake.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 08:29:18 AM »
^^^^^^snicker^^^^^

Interesting video.  Somewhere in my library of books, I have a book from Allen W Eckert, The Frontiersman.  Part of that book discusses Tecumseh and his machinations.  The book is a fiction that uses all historical and legendary happenings, so it is a narrative/story using real stuff or stuff believed to be true.   

Here's a narrative about Tecumseh and his brother from Indian Country Today:

"This Date in Native History: Earthquakes and eclipses of the sun were among the deeds attributed to Tecumseh and his brother, but legends surrounding Tecumseh are as great as the truths, said Shawnee Second Chief Ben Barnes. “It is hard to know without proof or specific oral history just exactly what happened” on August 11, 1802 he said.

There is evidence that Tecumseh and his brother, Tenskwatawa, were prophets and visionaries who may have changed history had there been a little more help from the British, and more faith from certain tribes. As for help from the Creator, or “Master of Life,” the evidence follows.

Tenskwatawa was a victim of the times, with an intense longing for the ways of his childhood and a sense of hopelessness for the future. Lost in alcoholism, Tenskwatawa one day fell into a fire, and lived. Reborn into a spiritual fervor, he became known as The Prophet, declaring that the Master of Life had insisted that all ways associated with the white man must be abandoned.

Fed up with the ever encroaching, land stealing whites, Tecumseh took his brother’s prophecy and called for all Natives to unite as one people against the whites. More than 1,000 people from a variety of tribes joined Tecumseh, whose charismatic persona drew the respect and admiration of whites and Natives alike.

“He was part of the warrior division of his tribe,” Barnes said, describing Tecumseh as “a self-prescribed leader who became a war chief by assuming that mantle. Tecumseh said, ‘We will not continue moving west. We are going back to the old ways.’”

Romanticized by whites and described as having powerful medicine by his Native peers, historic documents describe Tecumseh as being “of commanding figure, nearly six feet tall and compactly built, dignified bearing and piercing eye, charitable in thought and action, brave as a lion, but humane and generous with all. An aboriginal American knight.”

Barnes reported that after Tecumseh saw the Shawnee burn Daniel Boone’s 14-year-old son, Tecumseh turned the tides toward a gentler society for his people. He was known to treat all people, men, women, enemies and prisoners, with justice and fairness.

Tecumseh’s successful mobilization of so many Natives proved to the United States that the war had not been won. In an attempt to discredit The Prophet, the government insisted that the Indians seek proof that he was supported by the Creator. They got it after the prophet called for a sunless sky, which arrived shortly after in the form of an extreme total eclipse.

Legend has it that Tecumseh went amongst the Creeks to join in the rebellion, but when they refused to join his confederacy, he threatened that if they did not enlist before he reached Detroit, he would stamp his feet three times and they would feel their houses shake down through Mississippi.

Whether legend or prophecy, his words played out on December 16, 1811, when the first of three earthquakes were said to have occurred when he reached Detroit. Named the New Madrid earthquakes for New Madrid, Missouri, the U.S. Geological Survey writes that the earthquake was close to 10 times stronger than the one that destroyed San Francisco in the late 1800s and shook the earth strong enough to alarm the general population over an area of 1,553,428 square miles. The massive quake caused such a major shift of seismic plates that it was said church bells rang out in Boston, sidewalks cracked in Washington, D.C., forests disappeared, lakes were created, villages were swallowed and for a few hours even the Mississippi River ran backwards."

"This story was originally published August 11, 2013."

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 08:58:48 AM »
Oh my, a whole wall fell down.

I slept through a 6.7 once.  The aftershocks were stronger than the DC quake.

You live in Earthquake central.

We on the proper coast.... don't.

It's not something we deal with on a regular basis.

Sort of the opposite of when you get 6 inches of snow and freak, and we... yawn and drive to work.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 09:54:41 AM »
The Frontiersman is an awesome book! We are a soft and gentle people. The hardness and over the top violence of that era is hard to even read about. Everybody was killing the other at one time or another. Colonists, British, Indian tribes, French etc, everyone fought each of the others. Massacres, tortures and what we would consider psycopathic inhumanity to others was not uncommon. Judging the people of the past by our current level of civilization is foolish. 

There aren't too many places to live where natural disaster isn't a potentiality. Not only is nature red in tooth and claw, the impersonal forces of earth and sky go through machinations that snuff out life regularly. It's all happening even this instant.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2022, 10:03:47 AM »
You live in Earthquake central.
I lived there for two years, but I totally agree with your comparison to the apocalyptic reaction to snow from people living in warmer climes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 10:23:01 AM »
"I lived there for two years,"

You're still living in the Ring of Fire.

Don't worry, the rock monsters will catch up with you soon enough after they finish shaking California off their backs.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 10:27:39 AM »
You're still living in the Ring of Fire.
I don't think I do, Mike.  Unless you're using some weird alternate definition.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 10:33:28 AM »
I live where we have both earthquakes and snow, but not much of either, so everyone complains about both.  :laugh:

We did get a quake a couple of years ago that was respectable enough even by California standards for me to move to a doorway. I'm not sure if they build here with any "earthquake parameters" in the code. The house held up well, but I did find a small crack in the wall of one bedroom.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 10:48:10 AM »
I don't think I do, Mike.  Unless you're using some weird alternate definition.

Aren't you in Western Oregon?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 10:51:52 AM »
I live where we have both earthquakes and snow, but not much of either, so everyone complains about both.  :laugh:

We did get a quake a couple of years ago that was respectable enough even by California standards for me to move to a doorway. I'm not sure if they build here with any "earthquake parameters" in the code. The house held up well, but I did find a small crack in the wall of one bedroom.

You're definitely in an intraplate area. The entirety of Idaho is intraplate.

But, being in an intraplate area does NOT mean that you don't get earthquakes. They just tend to be smaller and a whole lot less destructive.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 10:52:44 AM »
Aren't you in Western Oregon?
No sir.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 11:17:01 AM »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 11:39:11 AM »

You do live near some giant sleeping volcanos. I'm not sure how far you are from the Three Sisters but I saw an article about about a bulge growing on one of them. Then you have Yellowstone.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 12:02:10 PM »
I was in California on a business trip when a 3.5 quake hit in the middle of the night. Centered 8 miles from my hotel, I think I slept through the first part of it and only felt the last part of the tremor. For several seconds I thought someone was in my room and had bumped into my bed - that's what it felt like to me.

Of course, a 3.5 is trivial for California - or almost anywhere else, for that matter. If I never get to experience a 6+ quake, I'll be happy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain