Author Topic: New Madrid Quake  (Read 3194 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: New Madrid Quake
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2022, 12:06:44 PM »
Yellowstone is another critter entirely. Its earth quake activity is caused by a mid-plate volcanic hot spot, not a plate subduction zone (Ring of Fire) or an intraplate fault (New Madrid and Washington, DC, earth quakes).

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2022, 12:14:53 PM »
https://earthquaketrack.com/

Check out your location and see if the end is near  :old:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2022, 12:20:51 PM »
In my part of western Washington, we would have earthquakes and wildfires to worry about.  At 540 feet of elevation I am not worried about a tsunami from Puget Sound.  All of that pales in comparison to living seven miles, as the ICBM flies, from the Jim Creek Naval Radio Station. Jim Creek does very low frequency communication to the submerged missile and attack submarines, so you have to figure that it will be a prime communication, command, and control target if we have any sort of strategic nuclear exchange.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2022, 12:22:07 PM »
I have always been fascinated by the New Madrid quake. Where I grew up in SW Oklahoma we would have an occasional quake, usually reported and not felt. When I lived in Santa Clara CA I could almost tell you how strong the quake was by how much my dresser drawer pulls rattled. I even felt one in PA one time, no where is safe from those things but most people don't realize that.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2022, 12:23:42 PM »
Another thing that is weird is the Midcontinent Rift and it could have the ever so slight potential to do something interesting.

https://eos.org/features/new-insights-into-north-americas-midcontinent-rift

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2022, 12:26:37 PM »
In my part of western Washington, we would have earthquakes and wildfires to worry about.  At 540 feet of elevation I am not worried about a tsunami from Puget Sound.  All of that pales in comparison to living seven miles, as the ICBM flies, from the Jim Creek Naval Radio Station. Jim Creek does very low frequency communication to the submerged missile and attack submarines, so you have to figure that it will be a prime communication, command, and control target if we have any sort of strategic nuclear exchange.

There is another active VLF naval antenna buried in near the middle of Iowa. When it was declassified, it became a talking point as part of the spiel on the Boone Scenic Valley Railroad Excursion.

Uranus is a gas giant.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2022, 12:45:46 PM »
Very interesting video.

I've been through two "felt" earthquakes, one supposedly due to pumping of water into fault zones at the old Rocky Mountain Arsenal.  First was in Boulder, and I was sitting on the pot and got splashed by my own effluent, ick.  Second was in Denver in a building which had a six or seven story atrium with lamps hanging down from the ceiling to various floor levels.  They swung kind of crazily because of their differing pendulum lengths.  After I observed this, I realized that I had felt something a minute before.

Terry
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 01:16:33 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2022, 12:54:11 PM »

:rofl:

Dude, I live within spitting distance of the Pentagon, White House, Capitol, and a gazillion other high priority assets.

In the event that *expletive deleted*it gets real, it's not just going to be my personality that's glowing...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2022, 01:02:54 PM »
https://earthquaketrack.com/

Check out your location and see if the end is near  :old:

It's interesting looking at the data on that tracker...

The majority of the quakes listed all happened at a depth of roughly 10 KM, or well within the confines of the crust.

A couple have happened between 18 and 90 KM, also generally with in the crust zone, or not far off it.

Then there's the one that happened at 400 KM. Hello subduction zone earthquake!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2022, 01:21:27 PM »
Intel is (supposedly) going to build a giant semiconductor fab in Ohio, and one of the reasons was "very low seismic activity".

Well, compared to California...

Re microquakes and Intel, at one point I was operating a delicate vacuum gauge which relied on the slowing down of a spinning ball suspended magnetically in the vacuum.  It was called "the spinning rotor gauge" and was touted by NBS/NIST as a possible new transfer standard for measuring ultra high vacuums.

Seemed like almost every day the damned thing would give crazily impossible results around three o'clock-ish.  It took a while before I realized that this was due to a coal train rumbling by about half a mile from the lab building at about that time-ish every day-ish.  The apparatus would vibrate slightly, while the rotor ball would tend to stay in the same place by some Newtonian law or another, and would therefore yield the crazy readings.

The -ishes explain why it took so long to figure it out.

Oh, those damned intervening variables!

Terry, 230RN

NOTE Many semiconductor MFRing operations are under vacuum.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 02:03:38 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2022, 01:30:19 PM »
So, it wasn't your balls that were jiggling...

Interesting...

grampster

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2022, 01:49:30 PM »
We live in SW Michigan.  In my lifetime, we've had 3 or 4 quakes that I have experienced.  All of them were just a feeling you got that was really odd, hard to explain, and then maybe a few rattles of dishes.  Then media would confirm during the next news hour.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2022, 02:01:48 PM »
I was thinking that I was getting some nasty tinnitus...

Deep bass stuff at times.

I'm guessing that my house's poured concrete slab foundation is built fairly close to rock, if not directly on rock.

There's a MAJOR freight yard around a mile to a mile and a half north of me.

I think I'm hearing the occasional train. Either that, or the Old Ones are tunneling beneath the house.

(and STL has a LOT of very large tunnels and some sizable cave systems that have been used for industrial purposes)
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2022, 02:17:43 PM »
So, it wasn't your balls that were jiggling...

Interesting...

Roffle.  Nope, as Newton said, a spinning ball at rest tends to stay at rest.  There were three-plus magnetic operations going on with that gauge.  The field(s) set up to suspend the ball (actually two magnetic interactions there), the field(s) set up to rotate the ball, and the magnetic sensor to sense its RPM slowdown (due to friction with the remaining gas molecules in the vacuum.)

I guess you can make a gauge out of any related effect if you want to get ridiculously complicated about it.

But I guess by now they've got most of the kinks worked out of it ("We can correct that in the software.") because it's now a viable gauging system:

https://www.jlab.org/accel/inj_group/vacuum/SRG-2_manual.pdf

I don't know how they're getting various earthly tremors out of the system... including from trains going by.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 08:53:14 AM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2022, 03:48:55 PM »
You're definitely in an intraplate area. The entirety of Idaho is intraplate.

But, being in an intraplate area does NOT mean that you don't get earthquakes. They just tend to be smaller and a whole lot less destructive.

Yes, generally we get many smaller quakes. The one I referred to from 2020 was a 6.5, which even back in CA we considered a decent shaker. I can't remember the predominant waveform, but it had a VII intensity, which is pretty severe. I recall there was some moderate damage around the epicenter in the Sun Valley area. Since then, there have been ongoing microquakes at a much higher than normal incidence, so maybe something is slowly shaking loose in these parts.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2022, 04:24:29 PM »
Biggest I've felt in Oklahoma was the 5.8 quake in 2016.
We.get quite a few 4.5 range shakers, including a 4.8 a few.days ago, blamed on fracking but I've never noticed them.
The 5.6 got my attention, it only lasted a few seconds but long enough to begin evacuation of the house.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2022, 05:03:05 PM »
Biggest I've felt in Oklahoma was the 5.8 quake in 2016.
We.get quite a few 4.5 range shakers, including a 4.8 a few.days ago, blamed on fracking but I've never noticed them.
The 5.6 got my attention, it only lasted a few seconds but long enough to begin evacuation of the house.

I was on wilderness trip in the boundary waters and I set up camp on a old lava flow, sometime after midnight I woke up from the ground shaking. When I was heading for home in the vehicle, I heard on the news that there was a minor earthquake in Oklahoma the same night that I felt the shaking.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2022, 08:10:41 PM »
The 2011 Washington, DC, metro earthquake was an intraplate event. Did a fair amount of damage, but sure as hell shocked the *expletive deleted*it out of me.

That was the one that damaged George Washington's monument to white supremacy, wasn't it?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2022, 08:32:03 PM »
During the 2011 Virginia/DC  quake we didn’t feel it being 350 miles away but I was working in the visitor center and gift shop at one of the parks I worked at and a large metal butterfly wall decoration started vibrating for a couple of minutes I immediately thought it was an earthquake and sure enough found out where it was a few mins later.

Then a couple years later we had a nearby earthquake from the next park I was working at and felt and heard it. It only lasted for a few seconds but was a little disturbing because it was mild shaking and I had never felt one anywhere close to it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2022, 12:48:59 AM »
You do live near some giant sleeping volcanos. I'm not sure how far you are from the Three Sisters but I saw an article about about a bulge growing on one of them. Then you have Yellowstone.

He's slightly closer to Yellowstone than the Three Sisters. The Three Sisters aren't much of a threat to anyone not in the immediate area anyway. I'm way closer to them than he is and I'm still not anywhere near the danger zone.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2022, 07:07:46 AM »
I was on wilderness trip in the boundary waters and I set up camp on a old lava flow, sometime after midnight I woke up from the ground shaking. When I was heading for home in the vehicle, I heard on the news that there was a minor earthquake in Oklahoma the same night that I felt the shaking.

You sure you didn't just have a double helping of chili for dinner?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2022, 07:13:31 AM »
That was the one that damaged George Washington's monument to white supremacy, wasn't it?

Yep, the very one.

I was at the office on the 4th floor when the initial pulse hit. I was pretty sure that a truck or something similar had hit the building. That was the P wave hitting.

Then the S waves hit. I still wasn't sure WTF was going on but a coworker had been through earthquakes before, so she knew.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2022, 07:29:43 AM »
"I'm guessing that my house's poured concrete slab foundation is built fairly close to rock, if not directly on rock."

Doesn't even need to be built on or near rock, it could just be that the soil type in your area transmits the vibrations. Clay soils do a much better job at transmitting vibrations than sandy or loamy soils.

You're in the greater St. Louis area, right?

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MANUSCRIPTS/missouri/StLouisMO_1982/StLouisMO_1982.pdf

Soil/rock type and age is is one of the reasons why the DC earthquake in 2011 was felt so far and wide (it was felt up into New England and Canada and as far south as Georgia and as far west as Illinois), while far more powerful earthquakes in California aren't felt nearly as widely.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2022, 07:31:37 AM »
Another thing that is weird is the Midcontinent Rift and it could have the ever so slight potential to do something interesting.

https://eos.org/features/new-insights-into-north-americas-midcontinent-rift

Wow. I'd not heard anything about the mid continent rift since my geology courses in college in the mid 1980s. Interesting to see how different the research is today from what they used to say.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2022, 08:08:34 AM »
I think Isle Royale in Lake Superior is a result of the mid continent rift.

Up in da UP, the area I camp, backpack and do winter sports is comprised of some of the worlds oldest exposed rock.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.