Author Topic: New Madrid Quake  (Read 3194 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: New Madrid Quake
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2022, 08:36:33 AM »
I think Isle Royale in Lake Superior is a result of the mid continent rift.

Up in da UP, the area I camp, backpack and do winter sports is comprised of some of the worlds oldest exposed rock.

That and a giant magma caldera. Porcupine mountains are the south side anf Isle Royale is the north side.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2022, 08:46:17 AM »
That and a giant magma caldera. Porcupine mountains are the south side anf Isle Royale is the north side.
I really love the old growth forests of the porkies, too bad it became such a popular spot. The place is overly blazed and filled with dayhikers now.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 11:00:22 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2022, 11:24:56 AM »
I really love the old growth forests of the porkies, too bad it became such a popular spot. The place is overly blazed and filled with dayhikers now.

When Mrs and I did a hike in and cabin stay several years ago, I couldn't believe how loud people were. There was this youth group that hiked by twice a day singing at the top of their voices. I almost had words, but Mrs wouldn't let me.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2022, 11:28:46 AM »
When Mrs and I did a hike in and cabin stay several years ago, I couldn't believe how loud people were. There was this youth group that hiked by twice a day singing at the top of their voices. I almost had words, but Mrs wouldn't let me.

Once while hiking to Tioga Falls someone had their car in the parking area thumping the whole time. You could hear it echoing through the hills most of the whole way and back.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2022, 11:30:08 AM »
I almost had words, but Mrs wouldn't let me.

Too bad, that would have been a perfect teachable moment.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2022, 07:30:51 AM »
"I almost had words"

Well, keep trying and eventually you'll come up with some.

Maybe.

Hopefully.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2022, 10:21:28 AM »
How young WAS the youth group? Little kids chaperoned by an adult are one thing, but if they were teens . . .

Anyway, I'm past the point where I'll confront a "group" of strangers behaving in an annoying manner. A generation ago, talking to someone politely often would solve the problem - it's a sad commentary on society now, but these days, things might escalate to the point where I'd either have to accept a beat down (Nope!) or end one or more of the strangers; neither situation is ideal.  I think your Mrs did you a favor.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain