Author Topic: Saudi judge looks into severing the spinal cord of a criminal  (Read 10754 times)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: Saudi judge looks into severing the spinal cord of a criminal
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 12:56:51 PM »
I concur

I'd agree with this if they got to choose their leaders, which they don't (short of revolution)
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 01:07:29 PM »
Maybe I'm strange, but I really get no gratification at all from the thought of torturing criminals. I really do think that if I/'we' do that, it does bring us to a lower moral level.

This.  Maybe it is just to inflict the same damage on a perpetrator as his victim received, but that does not make it moral.  It is my opinion that there is something wrong with a third party(I can understand the victim's desire to inflict suffering) prescribing what amounts to torture.

If it warrants the inflictment of permanent paralysis, it warrants a swift death.  Anything less is bloodthirst(the bad kind).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 01:49:04 PM »
I'd agree with this if they got to choose their leaders, which they don't (short of revolution)

Revolution is also a choice.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 01:55:41 PM »
Revolution is also a choice.

Great. So when you're a dissident in Soviet Russia, with your face being stepped on by the KGB, that's somehow your fault because you don't have enough compatriots to launch a revolution?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 03:05:20 PM »
 ;/

Nitrogen was talking about a choice made by an entire group, not one dissident.  So am I.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:15:16 PM by Fistful »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »
My goodness.  Using the ancient precept of an eye for an eye, a Saudi judge is asking hospitals to intentionally damage the spinal cord of a criminal who caused paralysis in his victim.  I wonder if any healthcare facility in the Kingdom will perform the surgery. 

You are not citing the article correctly. At this point, at least, the judge has NOT asked any hospital to perform the procedure. He has asked them IF it can be done.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 05:05:38 PM »
This.  Maybe it is just to inflict the same damage on a perpetrator as his victim received, but that does not make it moral.  It is my opinion that there is something wrong with a third party(I can understand the victim's desire to inflict suffering) prescribing what amounts to torture.

But morality is not an absolute. Morality is opinion. Muslims consider themselves to be moral, and us westerners to be immoral. What you are really saying is that their concept of morality is different from yours. (And mine, I might add.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 06:12:39 PM »
You are not citing the article correctly. At this point, at least, the judge has NOT asked any hospital to perform the procedure. He has asked them IF it can be done.

I am sure such semantic distinctions are a great comfort to the sentenced individual.   [popcorn]

"Just because we are asking if we can make you into a paraplegic doesn't mean we are going to make you into a paraplegic, Akbar.  So what do you think the Knicks are going to do this year?"

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »
But morality is not an absolute. Morality is opinion. Muslims consider themselves to be moral, and us westerners to be immoral. What you are really saying is that their concept of morality is different from yours. (And mine, I might add.)

Is that opinion, or "absolute"?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 07:12:57 PM »
Is that opinion, or "absolute"?

:lol:

Someone's logic, it negates itself.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2010, 08:52:18 PM »
I'm sure Barney Frank, Marion Berry, and Sheila Jackson-Lee agree with that statement...  ;/

It wouldn't matter if Charles Manson agreed with the statement, that wouldn't make it wrong on it's own.
Look, tiny text!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 10:09:48 PM »
Great. So when you're a dissident in Soviet Russia, with your face being stepped on by the KGB, that's somehow your fault because you don't have enough compatriots to launch a revolution?

Nowhere in the mentioning of "revolution" was the concept that "life is fair" contained. Express or implied.  =)
I promise not to duck.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 12:05:36 AM »

You're right.

And I don't care.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 10:32:14 AM »

People can always leave, sneak out or whatever.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2010, 10:59:01 AM »

Wow, they can?

I'm sorry, but this thread is SCREAMING for a Godwinning now.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2010, 01:49:19 PM »

I'm sure that ability was a great relief to the residents of Auschwitz and the 20k other camps that Germany set up a number of years ago. 

I find your 'whatever' to be highly questionable...
----------------------------------------------------
Got it covered makattak  =D
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »
Far be it from me to try to un-Godwin a thread.  Personally, I think every other post on APS ought to refer to the Nazis.

Nazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazinazi.  

There, got it out of my system.

But, there is little utility comparing the bass-ackward savages that run Saudi to the Nazis(1).  If'n you have any cash, you can leave to most anywhere else.  The vast majority of folks stay because they like it just fine(2).  I went to school with lots of Saudis.  None of them had harrowing tales of their escape.  I bet if they went to INS (at the time) with a sob story about persecution they, like millions of others, could get residency here in the USA.

(1) Little use comparing the Nazis to the "Nazis" of legend, sometimes.  If you weren't already on AH's s*** list, you could serve in the German Army without becoming a soul-compromised creature of darkness.  For instance, the units that did most of the rounding up and carting off of the Jews were composed of folks who wanted to be in those units.  Many, many Germans transferred out of the units to more pedestrian Army units.  They still found puh-lenty of folks to round up folks for genocide.

(2) The gov't petro-cash tittie is mighty tempting to them.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »
How good do you think their investigative system is?  
You think it's anywhere approaching as good as ours, that values people's rights at all?
I think that depends on who you are.  If you are a Saudi citizen or 1st world ex-pat, I'm sure they check it out in more detail.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2010, 06:15:02 PM »

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner