Author Topic: Wisconsin Bans KerryGold Butter  (Read 2733 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Wisconsin Bans KerryGold Butter
« on: February 23, 2017, 04:58:34 PM »
Wisconsin has banned Kerrygold butter, and residents are crossing the border to buy it. I know there are a few Kerrygold fans here. Adively turned me on to it, damn him. As good as the kraut stuff for half the price.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/02/23/wisconsin-s-irish-butter-ban-spurs-statewide-dairy-debacle.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Wisconsin Bans KerryGold Butter
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 05:30:07 PM »
How fresh is the butter from cow in Ireland to shelves in America, or does that matter?   ???

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »
They should have had it go into effect on St. Patrick's Day.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 06:04:36 PM »
How fresh is the butter from cow in Ireland to shelves in America, or does that matter?   ???

bob

I don't know, but it tastes really good to me (both for spreading and baking/cooking), and it's also cheaper than the "grass fed organic hippie" stuff made in the US sold at the higher end grocery stores. I buy mine for super cheap at Costco. I actually don't get why Costco hasn't done a Kirkland grass fed butter yet.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:45:47 PM »
They did that with margarine many years ago.

Glad I live in the Midwest because all local butter is amazing. Same for milk.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 07:50:33 PM »
I used to work for a guy that had a cheap spread outside of town, he called it Oleo Acres. Speaking of oleo, I can remember my mother mixing the food coloring in it to make it look more "butter" like, otherwise it was a pale whitish color.

They sell KerryGold in the commissary, I guess I will try some.

Don't mind me, it's the drugs. ;)

bob

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:57:08 PM »
I used to work for a guy that had a cheap spread outside of town, he called it Oleo Acres. Speaking of oleo, I can remember my mother mixing the food coloring in it to make it look more "butter" like, otherwise it was a pale whitish color.

bob

Every time I tell my daughter about the old days of mixing the yellow color in she looks at me funny. Well she is only nine.

My wife lists oleo and butter separate on the grocery list so I know witch one she needs.

Jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 07:58:02 PM »

bob

Yeah, my dad would sometimes make a run to the IL border to get "real" margarine. The rest of the time we kneaded the color into that white pasty Silly Putty.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 08:39:30 PM »
We didn't buy much butter when I was a kid.
We always had a couple pounds of fresh churned from Grandma's house.
Something about being involved in the making of butter all the way from from grass to biscuit made it just that much better.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 08:41:52 PM »
Some of you guys must be nearly as old as I am. I think that oleo with the separate color went out around 1950 or '52. I know we moved to a new house in 1950 and I don't remember the coloring stuff beyond the old house.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 09:07:21 PM »
It says this law has been in effect since the 70's, so why is this just now happening? ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BobR

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 09:11:02 PM »
Some of you guys must be nearly as old as I am. I think that oleo with the separate color went out around 1950 or '52. I know we moved to a new house in 1950 and I don't remember the coloring stuff beyond the old house.

I can remember it when we lived at Ft Greely (late 50's) and up into the very early 60's @ Ft Sill. Dad was a poor enlisted guy, lucky we even had food.

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 09:58:37 AM »
It says this law has been in effect since the 70's, so why is this just now happening? ???
According this link, it is a USDA grading issue.  Maybe someone finally realized it was not graded. 
Because Kerrygold is made from grass-fed cow's milk in Ireland, it isn't graded by the USDA - leaving loyal fans in Wisconsin out in the cold.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4254572/Kerrygold-butter-banned-Wisconsin-law.html#ixzz4ZcBOWfKI
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4254572/Kerrygold-butter-banned-Wisconsin-law.html
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
Oleo is a term I have never heard before.  And I am not sure why you would want to use margarine when real butter is available. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 10:24:17 AM »
Oleo is a term I have never heard before.  And I am not sure why you would want to use margarine when real butter is available. 

Price.  Oleo is around a $1 a pound and AA sweet cream or unsalted butter is $3.50 a pound where I live.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 11:17:22 AM »

Oleo is just another way to say oil. You have to admit oleomargarine sounds a lot better than saying "let me have a slab of oil for my toast". In time the oleo either got dropped from the margarine or the margarine got dropped but when I was growing up oleo meant that "fake butter like" substance you used for cooking and eating. Then I learned about airplanes and oleo strut became part of my knowledge base.

:)

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 11:18:09 AM »
That's one thing I'll give my ex wife credit for... she got me into using real butter instead of margarine.

The difference, especially in cooking, is notable and worth the cost.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 01:39:36 PM »
Wisconsin has banned Kerrygold butter, and residents are crossing the border to buy it. I know there are a few Kerrygold fans here. Adively turned me on to it, damn him. As good as the kraut stuff for half the price.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/02/23/wisconsin-s-irish-butter-ban-spurs-statewide-dairy-debacle.html

Hey Ben, I warned you.  :P :P :P :P :-* :lol:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 04:07:21 PM »
I'm surprised they're not setting up inspection and seizure points at major roads designed to keep the evil, unlettered butter out of the hands of gullible Wisconsites.

And fine the *expletive deleted*ck out of them for transporting contraband material.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.