Author Topic: The RIFLE Act  (Read 50 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
The RIFLE Act
« on: May 18, 2024, 08:50:52 PM »
https://www.ammoland.com/2024/05/republicans-announce-rifle-act-to-eliminate-nfa-tax/

U.S. Senator Tom Cotton (R-Arkansas) and a dozen of his Senate Republican colleagues have introduced legislation to eliminate the $200 tax imposed by the government since 1934 on firearms and suppressors (silencers) regulated by the National Firearms Act (NFA).

The legislation is known as the Repealing Illegal Freedom and Liberty Excises (RIFLE) Act.

Joining Cotton as co-sponsors are fellow Republican Senators Marco Rubio and Rick Scott (Florida), Roger Marshall (Kansas), Steve Daines (Montana), Deb Fischer and Pete Ricketts (Nebraska), Kevin Cramer (North Dakota), Markwayne Mullin (Oklahoma), Marsha Blackburn (Tennessee), John Cornyn (Texas), and John Barrasso and Cynthia Lummis (Wyoming). Republican Congresswoman Ashley Hinson of Iowa has introduced companion legislation in the House, Cotton’s office noted in a release.

My take: good idea, which means it has a snowball's chance in hell of passing.  But I would like to at least see it come up for a vote just to see who votes against.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: The RIFLE Act
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2024, 09:16:12 PM »
They always introduce *expletive deleted*it when it doesn’t have a chance of passing but sit on their hands when they control everything

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2024, 09:18:12 PM »
Eliminate the tax, but still require registration?

A step in the right direction, I guess. Probably makes it more likely to pass since it includes extra background checks, fingerprints,  and registration.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2024, 11:57:33 PM »
Most of the comments at the ammoland site correctly put this down as political posturing that everyone - especially the authors and co sponsors - knows doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of going anywhere today. (Remember the Hearing Protection Act that was supposed to remove suppressors from NFA requirements?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain