Author Topic: Calif. says green cars need more noise pollution  (Read 6259 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Calif. says green cars need more noise pollution
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:07:19 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Aug19/0,4670,ODDQuietCars,00.html

SACRAMENTO, Calif.   Electric and hybrid vehicles may be better for the environment, but the California Legislature says they're bad for the blind.

It has passed a bill to ensure that the vehicles make enough noise to be heard by visually impaired people about to cross a street.

The measure would establish a committee to study the issue and recommend ways the vehicles could make more noise.

The state Department of Motor Vehicles says more than 300,000 of the vehicles are on state roads. Officials say they don't keep statistics on pedestrian accidents involving those vehicles.

The bill has been sent to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has not taken a position.

Just ban the damn things or make crossing the street blind against the law.  Would be cheaper and easier.  And make less people unhappy. grin
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Calif. says green cars need more noise pollution
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 09:14:02 PM »
The bastards just can't ever be happy, can they?

grin
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 10:48:51 PM »
More Cowbell!

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 02:12:02 AM »
baseball cards in the spokes.  Unlike Fruity Oaty Bar, they will be mandatory.   police
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 03:24:26 AM »
It's Kali, shouldn't they be thinking about things like natural selection?  Typical, only get on the bus when it benefits you.  rolleyes

angel
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Umber

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 03:56:28 AM »
Yeah.  But what are the Kali politicians going to do to help those people who are blind and deaf?? 

I want answers and I want them now.

Umber

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 04:39:57 AM »
That isn't even right.

Wouldn't meet the requirements either.  At higher speed the vehicle is going to be making enough noise on it's own.  It's the 'up to 20 mph' where many hybrids don't have the engine on that's the issue.

All you hear, maybe, is the rolling of the tires.  A lot of people, not just blind ones, depend on their ears more than eyes to determine traffic around them.

SAK

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 05:12:16 AM »
20mph is pretty survivable  grin

But in all seriousness, it WOULD be interesting to see how often this problem occurs.  But I don't think any new silly law is needed, particularly not one that forces quiet cars to become louder  rolleyes

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 05:15:11 AM »

But in all seriousness, it WOULD be interesting to see how often this problem occurs.  But I don't think any new silly law is needed, particularly not one that forces quiet cars to become louder  rolleyes

It is Kalifornia.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 05:15:15 AM »
I found the perfect solution!

Item Name:
FK210 Sheep Sound Effects Kit
Item #:
FK210
Price/ea:
$6.99

Kit includes all components and instructions to make a digital sound effect generator that is preprogrammed to sound like a Sheep. Great for sound effects on a model railroad, display scene, or just for the fun of it. Add a magnetic switch to turn it on and off with a small magnet mounted on a train car and have the effect start when a train passes by. Atomatically resets after a preprogrammed delay. Add our other effects generators to make the railroad or scene come alive with sounds. You could even add remote switches on the display to start the sounds individually.

Operates on 3 volt DC. 2 AA or AAA Batteries will operate the circuit. A Battery holder is available under options

Kit comes with complete with circuit board, components, PreProgrammed Digital IC, a 2" speaker and  instructions. Requires basic soldering skills and a 15 to 30 watt soldering iron. A small amount of solder is included with the kit

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 05:16:12 AM »
I propose Cali require loud rap music from each car.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 05:45:16 AM »

Not to mention that the driver should be looking where he's going

I figure it's been perceived as a problem because of a large number of 'near misses' where somebody's shocked by seeing/noticing the car later than they normally would, or stepping in front of the car not paying attention and the car driver having to slam his brakes.

They then go 'there outa be some noise', and it being cali, the next thought is to make a law to make sure there's some noise.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 09:33:17 AM »
I propose Cali require loud rap music from each car.

That bill has not passed yet?  Just about every car I hear from kali sounds like that already.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 09:41:11 AM »
Just have them get one of those a-ooga horns and then sneak up on the blind people and at just the right moment when they least expect it, let them have it. Then they'll need a govt agency to deal with all the neurotic blind people.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 11:46:37 AM »
they'll need a govt agency to deal with all the neurotic blind people

I thought they were all in the state legislature Huh?

grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 12:25:54 PM »
Residents: Plant worse than a Wal-Mart
Dispute: Tensions heat up between neighbors, RPM.

By Matt Assad | Of The Morning Call
    August 17, 2008

Walt Neidlinger spent years trying to keep a Wal-Mart-anchored shopping complex from being built near his Wind Gap home.

The traffic would have been suffocating for their little community, neighbors argued, so when the massive retailer and its partners packed up their plans and left Plainfield Township last year, Neidlinger was ecstatic. He figured he'd wait for the next plan to come along and remembers thinking, ''What could be worse than Wal-Mart?''

Over the past year, Neidlinger says, he's gotten an answer: RPM Recycling -- the metal-shredding plant on the same land -- causes daily noise that sounds like a freight train rumbling down the street, and frequent explosions that shake his walls.

And you can thank Rush Limbaugh and his staff for digging that up.   cheesy
http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-3rpm.6547307aug17,0,5038048.story
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
Because our representatives have nothing better to do, like pass a budget...
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 08:49:02 PM »

You want them to pass a budget?

shocked

grin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 10:10:32 AM »
Residents: Plant worse than a Wal-Mart
Dispute: Tensions heat up between neighbors, RPM.

By Matt Assad | Of The Morning Call
    August 17, 2008

Walt Neidlinger spent years trying to keep a Wal-Mart-anchored shopping complex from being built near his Wind Gap home.

The traffic would have been suffocating for their little community, neighbors argued, so when the massive retailer and its partners packed up their plans and left Plainfield Township last year, Neidlinger was ecstatic. He figured he'd wait for the next plan to come along and remembers thinking, ''What could be worse than Wal-Mart?''

Over the past year, Neidlinger says, he's gotten an answer: RPM Recycling -- the metal-shredding plant on the same land -- causes daily noise that sounds like a freight train rumbling down the street, and frequent explosions that shake his walls.

I love it when the Universe/Kharma gives someone a well deserved FU.  grin cheesy laugh angel
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 04:45:27 PM »
Sheep Sound Effects Kit

ROFL, nice, Cheesy
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 07:56:16 PM »
Quote from: Antibubba on August 21, 2008, 12:53:00 AM

You want them to pass a budget?

I didn't say that.  But making hybrids noisier ranks lower in importance than voting on the the Official State Dance.*

*The Hustle.**

**OK, not really.  But it ought to be.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 05:25:51 AM »
I remember reading about some obscure law from when cars were just getting popular that was supposed to make car owners shoot bottlerockets down the road in front of them to warn everyone that they were coming.  Too bad fireworks are probably illegal in kali.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 05:50:29 AM »
Just make them all use mud grip tires so they will make plenty of road noise.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge