Author Topic: Warning (for some): Don't Shave your husky!!  (Read 5263 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Warning (for some): Don't Shave your husky!!
« on: July 03, 2017, 11:08:21 AM »
http://www.today.com/pets/shaved-husky-photo-sparks-outrage-should-double-coated-dogs-be-t112670

http://www.sibrescue.com/tip-shave.html

This link has pictures.   :O
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pic-husky-shaved-body-causes-184723271.html

The bizarre image of the breed’s familiar fur-coated head atop a completely shorn body has sparked concern among some viewers that such a severe haircut may pose a health risk to the dog.

I heard this mentioned on a radio morning and show and had to go find the link.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Warning (for some): Don't Shave your husky!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 11:09:36 AM »
Gratuitous husky gifs.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 12:33:25 AM »
My late grandmother had this done to her GSD once. He was so clearly aware and apparently ashamed of what happened that he hid from people behind furniture and would only poke out his head.

I agree, don't do this to your dog.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 06:57:21 PM »
*snort* Do you know how many double coated dogs we shave on a regular basis?

Yeah, for the most part, it's unnecessary. A healthy dog with a good double coat does not need to be shaved.

That said, the outrage is even stupider than that huskies crappy haircut.

These dogs people want to strip down aren't outdoor dogs. They are house pets. They spend the summer in the AC and they aren't generally outside enough to get sunburn. These are dogs people let jump in their pools and lounge on the couch. I can tell you, first hand, that a shaved double coated dog does not clog up a vacuum cleaner like a dog blowing coat and I don't care how well you keep it brushed out.
Secondly, there is a matter of brushing out a dog. Most people do not know how to do this. People who've had these kinds of dogs all their lives do not know how to do this. What's more, not only do the owners not get how to really brush out their dogs, half the time the dogs will nail the snot out of the owners (part of the not knowing what they are doing)

Old dogs, temperamental dogs, dogs who are going to spend the summer jumping in any body of water they can reach? Strip 'em. It doesn't hurt anything. 
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 08:05:55 PM »
My half-brother shaved his pussy. In Texas, in the summer. Some long hair breed (not pure blood) and it looked funny as hell! Felt really weird too! :rofl:
:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 08:12:15 PM »
I have to agree with Liz.

She advised me on getting a proper clipper and comb combination to take Nikki's coat down to about a millimeter in length.  Keep in mind that we live in Las Vegas.  It gets really warm outside.  Nikki and her sisters (all shorter hair dogs) have a doggie door and can go in and out at will.  They are almost never locked outside.  Occasionally they will be locked inside for their own good.

Anyways, Nikki' coat has grown out a bit now, and she looks very natural.  And, she's obviously much more comfortable than she was with the long coat.  She goes into the yard and sunbathes, but comes back in before she burns.  And she is definitely NOT ashamed of her new look.

Liz, Nikki says "thanks".
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 08:13:16 PM »
My half-brother shaved his pussy. In Texas, in the summer. Some long hair breed (not pure blood) and it looked funny as hell! Felt really weird too! :rofl:

So when you say "half"-brother, you really mean...
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 08:22:01 PM »
They should be required to sell them this way so you can see just how little dog you get for the price.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 08:51:47 PM »
I have to agree with Liz.

She advised me on getting a proper clipper and comb combination to take Nikki's coat down to about a millimeter in length.  Keep in mind that we live in Las Vegas.  It gets really warm outside.  Nikki and her sisters (all shorter hair dogs) have a doggie door and can go in and out at will.  They are almost never locked outside.  Occasionally they will be locked inside for their own good.

Anyways, Nikki' coat has grown out a bit now, and she looks very natural.  And, she's obviously much more comfortable than she was with the long coat.  She goes into the yard and sunbathes, but comes back in before she burns.  And she is definitely NOT ashamed of her new look.

Liz, Nikki says "thanks".

I'm glad Nikki is happy and comfy.

Both my two old geezers got shave downs this summer. Both are much happier for it. Graham does have a double coat (although Pearl doesn't) and his double coat wasn't cutting it anymore. He doesn't have the energy or ability to contort himself to keep himself clean anymore and keeping him brushed out was much more stressful than just buzzing it away.

Old dogs especially, I'm a firm believer in comfort over beauty. Dogs aren't quite as self obsessed as cats on self grooming, but they do actually do a lot for themselves and can't do as much as they age. Not to mention when you have a dog with incontinence issues. You don't know how many times I see old dogs come in that are burned because of the urine that's just habitually soaked in their fur against their skin. And these are not uncared for dogs, it's just what happens.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 02:02:51 AM »
<- I have a double coated GSD mix.  He's super fluffy.  He's not a fan of being brushed out, and likes to wade in swamps and mud holes on walks.

We don't take him all the way down like that husky, but he get's groomer shaved like three times a year to keep him clean and comfortable.  People are just being stupid.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 03:23:14 AM »
Indeed, I think the outrage is more a matter of appearance.  As the poster of the "news" article mentions, we don't know why that particular husky got shaved.  For all we know he got into something he shouldn't have and had to get it off before it caused problems, and a shave was the quickest and surest method.

Or the dog's being kept in a hot/humid climate, rather than in a more moderate/colder climate like he's adapted to.

Keeping a husky down in florida without remediating moves is cruel.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 06:47:51 AM »

Or the dog's being kept in a hot/humid climate, rather than in a more moderate/colder climate like he's adapted to.

Keeping a husky down in florida without remediating moves is cruel.

Incorrect. A healthy double coated dog with a coat in good condition does fine in hot and humid climates. In fact, it will have it easier than many breeds with less coat. Double coats are inselation, not heating.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 08:12:14 AM »
Incorrect. A healthy double coated dog with a coat in good condition does fine in hot and humid climates. In fact, it will have it easier than many breeds with less coat. Double coats are inselation, not heating.

True, but a healthy double coated dog that is never allowed in the house or car because he brought back his body weight in mud that smells like alligator crap, thistles, sand spurs, and ticks doesn't do all that well.  :lol:

Which also led to my Wife and I's first (It's fine for dogs to ride in the bed of a pickup truck" argument.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 08:28:31 AM »
True, but a healthy double coated dog that is never allowed in the house or car because he brought back his body weight in mud that smells like alligator crap, thistles, sand spurs, and ticks doesn't do all that well.  :lol:

That reminded of this Veterinarian show we watched the other day where this woman brought in her dog who was bleeding from his penis sheath. It was a long hair breed and it had accumulated several burs in its fur there and was scratching it's penis to the point of dripping blood! (now ALL the guys have crossed their legs) The cure? Shave the area! Ta-da!  :P
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 08:57:14 AM »
My Mother used to have a couple of Keeshond dogs that she put in dog shows once upon a time.  They did fine in the Gulf Coast weather around Houston.  However, they absolutely loved it outdoors when Winter came around.  Their energy level went up to 11.
They didn't get in the water much, but would collect all sorts of grass burrs and other stuff in their fur. 

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 02:09:33 PM »

And what do you NOT want around a heat generator(IE the rest of the body) in hot weather that's fairly close to the operating temperature of said generation system?

Note that I said "Remediation", I didn't say "shaving" was actually necessary.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »

"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 03:10:10 PM »
And what do you NOT want around a heat generator(IE the rest of the body) in hot weather that's fairly close to the operating temperature of said generation system?

Note that I said "Remediation", I didn't say "shaving" was actually necessary.

Insulation is a good thing if the ambient temperature is above the pooches body temp.  Keeps the body from absorbing more heat as they are panting out their generated heat.

Temps at my place are routinely above dog body temp.

But the driving force behind my dog getting a trim is mud, vermin, and crap.  Temp wise, my pup is an AC whore, so he doesn't really care.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
Insulation is a good thing if the ambient temperature is above the pooches body temp.  Keeps the body from absorbing more heat as they are panting out their generated heat.

Body temp for a dog is higher than a human's at 101-102.  High for Florida is around 91F. 

Temps at my place are routinely above dog body temp.

Where do you live?  Death Valley?  The dog isn't going to live long, insulation or not, if it's really that hot out.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 05:39:19 PM »
Body temp for a dog is higher than a human's at 101-102. High for Florida is around 91F.

Where do you live?  Death Valley?  The dog isn't going to live long, insulation or not, if it's really that hot out.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I live outside of Tampa, and we get several strings of 103-105 degree days every year.  Usually not more then 2 or 3 days in a row, but June-Aug, we'll get 3 or 4 hot snaps.

*Note: Tampa's official temp readings are taken right by the bay, and the water has a moderating effect.  even 20 miles inland will get you noticably hotter.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 08:40:54 PM »
So when you say "half"-brother, you really mean...

The half above the waist.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 12:38:40 AM »
True, but a healthy double coated dog that is never allowed in the house or car because he brought back his body weight in mud that smells like alligator crap, thistles, sand spurs, and ticks doesn't do all that well.

We had to shave one long-hair mutt that we had when I was growing up, because he seemed to find every burr of any sort within a mile.  If we left him unshaved when they were in season, it would take old style manual sheep clippers to get in under the solid layer of matted cockleburs and beggars lice to get the mess off.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 12:54:11 AM »

Your half-brother what...  Errr.....ummm... DID YOU READ WHAT YOU TYPED BEFORE YOU HIT "POST" ?!?!?!  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 07:47:05 AM »
Your half-brother what...  Errr.....ummm... DID YOU READ WHAT YOU TYPED BEFORE YOU HIT "POST" ?!?!?!  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I have absolutely no doubt that he read it. Re-read it. And posted exactly what he intended to post.

:rofl:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 08:52:34 AM »

You know, before the crazy times, everyone would have a laugh because it's such an obvious play on words.

There are, of course, now people who could say that line and be perfectly serious about it.  :facepalm:
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought