Author Topic: Argh Kaspersky  (Read 725 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Argh Kaspersky
« on: July 04, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »
I'm getting frustrated with Kaspersky. I just renewed, and it now automatically renews to "auto-renew". When I went in to change to "manual renew" the price increased $50. I went ahead and did the auto-renew option and made a note in Google calendar to turn it off in 11 months.

Also, unless I just couldn't understand the correct procedures, when I tried to put the new license code in to my current install, it wouldn't accept it and said it would only work for adding devices to the current license until it runs out (in 14 days). It seems the only way to activate the new license is via a new install of the prg. Part of this is the (to me) completely unintuitive and confusing webiste, which has gotten to the point where it's like a used car dealership continually attempting bait and switch to add-ons and higher priced options. It just shouldn't require such a convoluted procedure to renew a freakin' license.

Anyway, I have really liked Kaspersky for the protection, but in the last year or so they've been getting on my nerves.

/rant
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Argh Kaspersky
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 02:13:21 PM »

They've always been weird on their renewals. Gods alone help you if you want keys combined for easier management. It has to go back to Moscow for approval.

Still, Eugene is a good guy. Word got around of an incident that happened. "Someone" asked him to ignore some malware. Eugene practically assaulted the guy on the spot. (In US terms, he definitely did. In Russian terms, eh, 'practically assaults' means anything less than hospitalization) He's not the easiest person to deal with, but he's very dedicated to his work. I'm aware of certain other AV companies that took the danegeld to overlook state malware.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 03:02:10 PM »
They've always been weird on their renewals. Gods alone help you if you want keys combined for easier management. It has to go back to Moscow for approval.

Still, Eugene is a good guy. Word got around of an incident that happened. "Someone" asked him to ignore some malware. Eugene practically assaulted the guy on the spot. (In US terms, he definitely did. In Russian terms, eh, 'practically assaults' means anything less than hospitalization) He's not the easiest person to deal with, but he's very dedicated to his work. I'm aware of certain other AV companies that took the danegeld to overlook state malware.

It's basically been what I've heard from you here, and what I've read elsewhere, that keeps me sticking with them. He's an okay guy for being a ruskie.  :laugh:

Anyway, this time around while it actually looked like I needed to download the latest version (which I already had), that didn't work. I had to go back to the window where they said that the new access code was only good for adding computers to the old license, ignoring that warning and clicking through anyway, and then I got the window showing the new license was active. I think whoever designed their website did so while drinking the vodka.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 03:53:18 PM »
They also only renew via a secure browser link, making it impossible to use Teamviewer for helping Mom renew her subscription. Why on earth they won't let you renew direct from the app seems silly.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB