Author Topic: military gadgets designed by students  (Read 1680 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
military gadgets designed by students
« on: May 12, 2014, 07:28:30 PM »
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/research/5-brilliant-military-gadgets-designed-by-students?click=pm_news#slide-1

A couple of really neat ideas, and some not-so-neat, and one that iirc was "invented" by fire/rescue a few decades ago (not counting the canned air).

The IV warmer seems to be the one that is the most aligned with government waste and the bloating of bureaucracy.  Aren't MRE heaters pretty much ubiquitous nowadays?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: military gadgets designed by students
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »
Yeah, but you don't want to boil your IV solutions.  Bringing them up a few degrees especially in a hypothermic situation is key.  That's one thing sucks about Dialysis in the winter.  While my cycler will heat the fluid in the bag on top, if I do manuals they are at ambient temp.  Nothing like having 2.5 liters of 60F fluid poured into your belly.   I'll be over here in by the fire for the next hour or so, until my core temp comes back up.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 07:58:18 PM »
I liked the tourniquet, but were the ground rules of the competition that you could not work on inventions designed to kill people and break things in ever more efficient ways?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:16:13 PM »
Interesting they describe calcium chloride as "common salt"

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 09:45:42 PM »
I liked the tourniquet, but were the ground rules of the competition that you could not work on inventions designed to kill people and break things in ever more efficient ways?

Students playing with explosives is generally a bad idea.

mangle

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 09:46:38 AM »
That's fun!  The guys in the first slide (Amp my FOB) are from my lab.  It's rather shocking how much you can glean from looking at the currents going into a building.  They can identify different types of lights being turned on in the lab from the main fuse box by looking at transients involved.

The tourniquet seems cool.  I can imagine that being immediately useful.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 10:17:04 AM »
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/research/5-brilliant-military-gadgets-designed-by-students?click=pm_news#slide-1

A couple of really neat ideas, and some not-so-neat, and one that iirc was "invented" by fire/rescue a few decades ago (not counting the canned air).

The IV warmer seems to be the one that is the most aligned with government waste and the bloating of bureaucracy.  Aren't MRE heaters pretty much ubiquitous nowadays?

stay safe.

I've talked to a few vets who leave the MRE heaters behind, as they take up space and weight, and use water they don't want to waste.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 10:34:32 AM »
That's fun!  The guys in the first slide (Amp my FOB) are from my lab.  It's rather shocking how much you can glean from looking at the currents going into a building.  They can identify different types of lights being turned on in the lab from the main fuse box by looking at transients involved.

I'm just wondering how it actually differs from several products already on the market.  (Kill-A-Watt for individual outlets, a few whole-house versions of it, and some even larger ones commonly built into solar/wind inverters.)

mangle

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 11:40:30 AM »
I'm just wondering how it actually differs from several products already on the market.  (Kill-A-Watt for individual outlets, a few whole-house versions of it, and some even larger ones commonly built into solar/wind inverters.)

This is a completely different animal.  They're not just looking at power consumption, but information contained in the current/voltage profiles of individual devices plugged in to the system.  In addition to identifying individual appliances of the same type (IE, refrigerator 1 vs refrigerator 2), they can now do diagnostics and health monitoring for all sorts of systems from that single set of sensors.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »

The tourniquet seems cool.  I can imagine that being immediately useful.

I wouldn't mind more information, but I'm partial to SOFTT-W touriquets. I can deploy them with one hand fairly easily. I do think folks are overly fond of tourniquets, but I understand the reason. If you have a decent knowledge of where the major veins are, pressure works a lot better than a complete tourniquet. Ideally, you'd only tourniquet basically a bleeding stump. OTOH, precision when folks are shooting at ya is hard, and it's easier to train folks to just tourniquet at the arm pit or upper leg.

The doc that trained me told me only to tourniquet if I didn't mind losing the limb. Getting shot at? Tourniquet it right now and move on. Because being shot in the head or having your head sawed off by wogs is worse than maybe unnecessarily losing an arm. Nasty compound fraction while hiking or camping? I'd really try my hand at localized pressure, and only tourniquet if unsuccessful.

Hopefully someday there is a smart combination tourniquet slash pressure bandage that combines the positives of both while being quick, easy, cheap.

And yep. I'm told that it's surprisingly easy to use traffic analysis on electrical feeds. Not usually enough for you to be able to tell what channel a person is watching, but easily enough to tell the difference between a PC or laptop, or CFL vs LED lighting.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 12:11:40 PM »
Mangle is correct. It's traffic analysis, not load analysis. I'd be less than found of it if it was installed in a smart meter attached to my house. There's ways of relatively easily jamming the analysis as well.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mangle

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 12:34:02 PM »
Mangle is correct. It's traffic analysis, not load analysis. I'd be less than found of it if it was installed in a smart meter attached to my house. There's ways of relatively easily jamming the analysis as well.

I'd be upset, too, but I don't think you're going to be able to jam the analysis without consuming (and paying for) enough power to drown out the legitimate signals.  Different types of loads look very different on the startup transient, and the steady-state power draw is rather unique as well.  I think they'll easily see past attempts to confuse it (after all, they can see things like seals in pumps failing by looking at the motor current draw) by sheer big data.  Fundamentally, your power consumption is quantized by the number of electricity-consuming things in your house, and by looking at your activities long enough, they'll identify each one individually. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 12:49:20 PM »
I'd be upset, too, but I don't think you're going to be able to jam the analysis without consuming (and paying for) enough power to drown out the legitimate signals.  Different types of loads look very different on the startup transient, and the steady-state power draw is rather unique as well.  I think they'll easily see past attempts to confuse it (after all, they can see things like seals in pumps failing by looking at the motor current draw) by sheer big data.  Fundamentally, your power consumption is quantized by the number of electricity-consuming things in your house, and by looking at your activities long enough, they'll identify each one individually. 

Ehhhh. You could always hide loads behind a UPS or capacitor solution. So, yes, you will have more consumption than strictly necessary, but it doesn't have to be a lot. While in bypass mode, I don't know how much it actually distorts the characteristics, but I do imagine it's relatively easy to engineer an UPS that would serve as chaff.

mangle

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 12:54:10 PM »
Ehhhh. You could always hide loads behind a UPS or capacitor solution. So, yes, you will have more consumption than strictly necessary, but it doesn't have to be a lot. While in bypass mode, I don't know how much it actually distorts the characteristics, but I do imagine it's relatively easy to engineer an UPS that would serve as chaff.

If you're willing to build a UPS that runs all the loads in your house, yes, you can do that.  But in the surveillance society, I'd bet that would be all the reason they'd ever need to come in and take a look.

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 01:10:48 PM »
Current info* on tourniquets say they can be on for up to 6 hours before there will be enough lactic acid and other badness built up to render the limb a loss.

Even then, you just loosen the tourniquet for a bit** (and hold pressure on whatever is bleeding) and the limb can be saved.

Tourniquets are back in style for the properly trained.

*per new ENA trauma guidelines

**above my pay grade, thanks

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 01:16:13 PM »
Current info* on tourniquets say they can be on for up to 6 hours before there will be enough lactic acid and other badness built up to render the limb a loss.

Even then, you just loosen the tourniquet for a bit** (and hold pressure on whatever is bleeding) and the limb can be saved.

This is correct. A TQ can be applied for a few hours without injury loss.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »
If you're willing to build a UPS that runs all the loads in your house, yes, you can do that.  But in the surveillance society, I'd bet that would be all the reason they'd ever need to come in and take a look.

Na, I was thinking UPS or capacitors to pattern shift load pattern for specific purposes. Probably too much work for too little gain, but it's a useful mental exercise. Then again, weirder things have happened. I've used packet forging software to emulate a heartbeat "from" a down controller to production equipment. That was entertaining.

Much appreciated. Guidance I got was from 2001-2003 era, and admittedly I don't recall how many hours they said a tourniquet could be used without limb loss. They did mention the loosen the tourniquet part to stretch that time out, but stressed that could be very bad if screwed up. Lactic acid and other bad stuff, that it could send a person into shock or potentially kill them.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:27:27 PM by RevDisk »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »
I wouldn't mind more information, but I'm partial to SOFTT-W touriquets. I can deploy them with one hand fairly easily. I do think folks are overly fond of tourniquets, but I understand the reason. If you have a decent knowledge of where the major veins are, pressure works a lot better than a complete tourniquet. Ideally, you'd only tourniquet basically a bleeding stump. OTOH, precision when folks are shooting at ya is hard, and it's easier to train folks to just tourniquet at the arm pit or upper leg.

The doc that trained me told me only to tourniquet if I didn't mind losing the limb. Getting shot at? Tourniquet it right now and move on. Because being shot in the head or having your head sawed off by wogs is worse than maybe unnecessarily losing an arm. Nasty compound fraction while hiking or camping? I'd really try my hand at localized pressure, and only tourniquet if unsuccessful.

Hopefully someday there is a smart combination tourniquet slash pressure bandage that combines the positives of both while being quick, easy, cheap.

And yep. I'm told that it's surprisingly easy to use traffic analysis on electrical feeds. Not usually enough for you to be able to tell what channel a person is watching, but easily enough to tell the difference between a PC or laptop, or CFL vs LED lighting.

The whole tourniquet/compartment syndrome thing has been way overblown over the years, to the point even MD's fall for the "common sense".

As you said, if there's shooting going on, sitting still, laying down, and having a buddy hold the vein down aren't exactly an option.
Even an hour or more of full application is statistically WAY better than the risk of compartment syndrome or limb loss.  You've got at least four hours before (recoverable) muscle damage sets in, eight before nerve damage. And a little over 12 hours before necrosis of fat tissue starts, and a day before necrosis of the skin.

Hemostatic shock, and just blood loss in general is a much bigger priority. And the individual IFAK and tourniquets that have come out of AWOT, and just the re-mainstreaming of tourniquets, as opposed to their semi-taboo perception, are one of the many great medical achievements to come out of the wars.

(Start about page 9) http://stanfordhospital.org/clinicsmedServices/medicalServices/lifeFlight/documents/Handout_Version_AllBleeding_Stops_Pierog_and_DSouza.pdf
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 01:42:38 PM »
This is correct. A TQ can be applied for a few hours without injury loss.

Does this apply to head injuries?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 01:53:59 PM »

I have often recommended the application of a tourniquet to the neck of our more 'difficult' patients.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 02:14:11 PM »
Students playing with explosives is generally a bad idea.

Au contraire, as a student I thought it a wonderful idea.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »

I did that jokingly during training.
"Private Snuffy stepped on a toe popper, alerting the enemy who is in a static defensive position. How do you react to the ambush, and treat the casualty?"
"Kill the bad guys. Treat friendly WIA by applying tourniquet to the neck." 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 02:34:56 PM »
You know, you might just be able to do it if it's a scalp wound towards the top of the head and above the ear-line.

Lower down by the neck? That is trickier, I admit.  =D
I promise not to duck.