Author Topic: At last! The science is settled.  (Read 1349 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
At last! The science is settled.
« on: May 26, 2014, 08:04:14 PM »
The science is settled!

http://www.wired.com/2013/07/charcoal-grilling-is-objectively-scientifically-better-than-gas-2/

Except that there's this:

http://www.wired.com/2013/07/gas-grilling-is-objectively-scientifically-better-than-charcoal/

Regardless, it's good to know the science has been settled.  Always was a bit leery of science that rattled around.

stay safe.

Fixed Linkey #2  ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:50:34 PM by scout26 »
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: At last! The science is settled.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 08:28:58 PM »
I don't really want my steaks to taste like bacon. I do want my bacon to taste like bacon, but I would much prefer that my steaks taste more like ... steak. Some things are sacred.

And I saw an article today that said our EPA is earmarking a significant chunk of money to study ways to improve health by using cooking methods that don't emit smoke into the dwelling place -- even though they acknowledge that virtually nobody in the U.S. cooks on wood stoves or over open fires and that the problem exists entirely in third world countries.

http://www.epa.gov/research/airscience/air-cleancookstove.htm
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:32:44 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:04:49 AM »
You posted the same link twice.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 12:22:31 AM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:47:14 AM »
Charcoal is for wimps. Gas is for those even less manly than wimps.
Hickory, apple, pecan, mequite, oak (among others) WOOD as nature intended meat to be cooked over.

City folk  :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 11:23:07 AM »
Hickory, apple, pecan, mequite, oak (among others) WOOD as nature intended meat to be cooked over.

Wood is for almost-wimps.  Real Men cook over dried buffalo dung.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 11:25:56 AM »

Gotta find time to get the fire going, then let to turn to coals. Real men work for a living, so they don't have hours to waste on building a fire and getting enough coals to cook over.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »
You're all a bunch of pussies.

REAL MEN, not you metrosexual wanna bes, cook over actively erupting volcanos.

Lacking an actively erupting volcano, they eat their meat raw.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 01:37:45 PM »
You're all a bunch of pussies.

REAL MEN, not you metrosexual wanna bes, cook over actively erupting volcanos.

Lacking an actively erupting volcano, they eat their meat raw.

Looks like thread win to me.  =D

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 01:58:43 PM »
Which is why I have a dual (actually quad grill),  On those days when when we're not rushing to baseball, football, or Boy Scouts, I can take time and use the Charcoal side and slow cook some meat.  On those days when we have to be somewhere within a few hours of school letting out, then I fire up the propane side and cook meat a little quicker. 

So I prefer both, as there aren't many active volcanoes in Northern Illinois to cook my meat over.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 02:14:44 PM »
I've got both a Weber kettle charcoal grill and a Weber gas grill.  If my cook time is under 30 minutes, I use the gas.  If it is more than 30 minutes, time to fire up Old Smokey.  I use a chimney starter for the charcoal, which avoids the lighter fluid smell and taste, and also speeds up the time to get the grill ready...about 10 minutes to get a good coal base ready to cook on.  I've also used real wood in my charcoal grill, when I have good hickory, apple, or cherry wood to burn.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »
Which is why I have a dual (actually quad grill),  On those days when when we're not rushing to baseball, football, or Boy Scouts, I can take time and use the Charcoal side and slow cook some meat.  On those days when we have to be somewhere within a few hours of school letting out, then I fire up the propane side and cook meat a little quicker.  

So I prefer both, as there aren't many active volcanoes in Northern Illinois to cook my meat over.
There's always the run something over and gnaw it on the way option, for when you're really in a hurry.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 10:17:50 AM »
Wood is for almost-wimps.  Real Men cook over dried buffalo dung.

I never tried that, but cow chips, yes.  They should be about the same.

In the early 1950s, my scout troop in Colorado often used them. My memory is of well dried chips producing a smokeless, low, blue flame which put a touch – but not too much – of ash on the food.  =D
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell