Author Topic: There will be no earth-shattering kaboom.  (Read 3142 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
There will be no earth-shattering kaboom.
« on: June 05, 2014, 04:45:16 PM »
http://www.space.com/26129-beast-asteroid-near-earth-flyby-webcast.html?cmpid=514648

(nasty auto-play ad happens first)

"The Beast"?  Big as three football staduims (stadia?)?

[popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: There will be no earth-shattering kaboom.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 05:16:54 PM »
Any way we can nudge it toward DC?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 05:35:39 PM »
Any way we can nudge it toward DC?

Anyone got a spare Q36 Explosive Space Modulator handy?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 05:40:29 PM »
if this had an earth intersecting trajectory what could we have done with only 5 weeks warning?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 06:56:13 PM »

There will be no earth-shattering kaboom.
 [popcorn]

stay safe.

Big enough.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 07:03:18 PM »
if this had an earth intersecting trajectory what could we have done with only 5 weeks warning?

Recruit a bunch of roughneck oil drillers lead by Bruce Willis to save us?  ;/

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 07:43:57 PM »
Try to drink all the booze before it hit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 07:44:07 PM »

I think, somehow, it would involve Vladimir Putin and a very powerful catapult.

Unless we could get Chuck Norris to just stare at it, disapprovingly.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 09:18:06 PM »
Aw, come on, in 5 weeks we have enough time to come to a bipartisan agreement on the composition of a special committee to determine the scope and authority of the select commission to investigate the best means of forming an international group to address the international co-ordination of efforts to determine the best means of studying how to deal with the problem in a culturally sensitive manner . . .  
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »
Aw, come on, in 5 weeks we have enough time to come to a bipartisan agreement on the composition of a special committee to determine the scope and authority of the select commission to investigate the best means of forming an international group to address the international co-ordination of efforts to determine the best means of studying how to deal with the problem in a culturally sensitive manner . . .  

Wimmin and children hardest hit

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »
"The Road".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 10:15:28 PM »

Blame Bush and Cheney.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 11:20:48 PM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 11:33:44 PM »
Anyone got a spare Q36 Explosive Space Modulator handy?

Brad

Mine is in the shop.
 But I do have a nice MK3 Sub Space Oscillator handy. The certification for complete galaxy disruption is out of date, but it should work ok on an asteroid.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 01:48:34 AM »
Mine is in the shop.
 But I do have a nice MK3 Sub Space Oscillator handy. The certification for complete galaxy disruption is out of date, but it should work ok on an asteroid.

You sold a reverberating carbonizer with mutate capacity to an unlicensed cephalopoid?  Jeebs, you piece of *expletive deleted*.
Formerly sumpnz

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 12:53:18 PM »

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 01:17:16 PM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 02:26:24 PM »
That was ... pithy.  :lol:

You think so?  Personally, I just don't get the point of it all.  Period.   ;/
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 04:31:34 PM »
Lighten up, guys.  We all know 280plus is a man of few words.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »
 :lol:

Long story short I tried to quote that astronaut pic with my own clever little caption but it didn't transfer. Then I tried to delete it but that wasn't working for me either, it was insisting I put some text in there. In my infinite wisdom I chose the period seen above. I'd like to think I got my point across.  :cool:

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 04:53:52 PM »

Long story short I tried to quote that astronaut pic with my own clever little caption but it didn't transfer. Then I tried to delete it but that wasn't working for me either, it was insisting I put some text in there. In my infinite wisdom I chose the period seen above. I'd like to think I got my point across.  :cool:

So was it a period or a point?  Or possibly a decimal point?

Until we get this straightened out those JPL doofi who crash-landed a Mars rover over the difference between kilometers and miles are going to look like rocket scientists.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »

Long story short I tried to quote that astronaut pic with my own clever little caption but it didn't transfer. Then I tried to delete it but that wasn't working for me either, it was insisting I put some text in there. In my infinite wisdom I chose the period seen above. I'd like to think I got my point across.  :cool:

Are you on your period?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 12:59:04 AM »
So was it a period or a point?  Or possibly a decimal point?

Until we get this straightened out those JPL doofi who crash-landed a Mars rover over the difference between kilometers and miles are going to look like rocket scientists.

stay safe.

I mean, "Frakking oops!", I mean WTF!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 05:03:20 PM »
Let's just call it a periodic point in time.

And no, I am not flying the Bravo.  I'm just a little cranky. :P