Author Topic: cool clear water  (Read 2376 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: cool clear water
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 08:13:01 AM »
Yes, but nothing says you can't use that energy again.
What the system does is boil the water (X energy per unit mass), pressurize the vapor (raises boiling point) with additional energy cost of about 0.02X
Then since that water will condense at a temperature above the boiling point of unpressurized water, transfers the heat to new incoming water, of which about 0.97X gets transferred.  So voila, 20x as much water as just straight heat and let it cool.
No magic, just a system engineering viewpoint that energy costs more than complexity.

Sounds like the only problem is startup energy cost. Which you might be able to assist by say, preheating it by other means if it's available. Not worth dealing with for mass production, just thinking specific circumstances.

Also, it doesn't include pumps for getting the water to and from the source. Obviously, that will be situational dependent. But I wonder what the numbers will be like under various circumstances.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 05:03:58 PM »
Sounds like the only problem is startup energy cost. Which you might be able to assist by say, preheating it by other means if it's available. Not worth dealing with for mass production, just thinking specific circumstances.

Also, it doesn't include pumps for getting the water to and from the source. Obviously, that will be situational dependent. But I wonder what the numbers will be like under various circumstances.

The startup energy is minimized because the total quantity in the boiler is relatively small compared to the throughput (its a flash boiler rather than a big pool boiler)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 05:41:38 PM »
Capitalism strikes again.   Funny how that always seems to work, yet all the do-gooder projects fail.  How much money have we given in "foreign aid" that has done nothing more then line the pockets (and Swiss/Caribbean Bank Accounts) of murderous thugs and dictators.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 12:07:54 AM »
Would be nice to have as a whole house water filter/softener system. Probably would need a pressure tank to store up some of the clean water. My city tap is so bad I get about 1 cup of water per pound of limestone...
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »
Somebody put Kamen and crew on making a Mr Fusion as the ideal integrated power supply for it.  With really dirty water, the waste can feed straight into the reactor, and then you get clean water and enough power to run your time machine.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »
Somebody put Kamen and crew on making a Mr Fusion as the ideal integrated power supply for it.  With really dirty water, the waste can feed straight into the reactor, and then you get clean water and enough power to run your time machine.

Then you go back in time and add more fuel to your water.  Voila! Perpetual motion time machine.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?