Author Topic: BBC puts out its scariest big brother ad ever...  (Read 4042 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
BBC puts out its scariest big brother ad ever...
« on: May 06, 2008, 04:24:59 AM »
What...the...HELL?

Watch the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy4sWMIPeQc

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: BBC puts out its scariest big brother ad ever...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 04:36:01 AM »
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

Sounds like an MPAA/RIAA concession made in the UK.

A license to even own a PC/DVD-RAM/DVR/VCR. 

I guess I'd equate it to our FCC licenses for FRS/GMRS radios.  Silly how it doesn't move when the owner of the equipment moves.  I'd never pay it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 04:55:04 AM »
The first word that spring to mind is . . . Orwellian! shocked
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 05:01:31 AM »
Damn scary, skippy.  Glad I don't live there.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 05:43:00 AM »
Nah.  You pay a license for your TV, and it helps pay for BBC.  Basically, over there they are forced to support what we get as public radio/TV here.

Yet another loss of freedom in the UK, but this one's been going on for ages.  Today, teh TV license is about $300 US.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 05:47:15 AM »
Oh, I've heard from people who have had the authorities after them with disbelieving incredulity that they DID NOT HAVE A TV. Everyone has a TV! They must be hiding it!

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 06:31:25 AM »
Oh, I've heard from people who have had the authorities after them with disbelieving incredulity that they DID NOT HAVE A TV. Everyone has a TV! They must be hiding it!

It's the same here. Fortunatly, all the can do is pretty much threaten you. I can have a tv blasting in full view of my door, and still claim "nope, no tivo here, now f**k off". Best thing is that they have no legal way to enter your home. If they try, you may treat them as any other intruder, and throw them out by force. Only suckers pay the license here. And old folks who belive they can actually track every tv set. They can't. I actually don't have a tv, but when I get one, I'm never going to pay the license...they can all go to hell. If I want leftist propaganda, I'll go to the nearest Communist party office and gather some flyers.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 07:50:25 AM »
I spent a lot of time in the London/Cambridge area.

They have vans that detect unlicensed television sets, in order to enforce the TV taxes.

Not cool.   undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 07:53:36 AM »
Someone needs to tell the UK that "1984" was written as a warning, not suggestion.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 07:59:08 AM »
I spent a lot of time in the London/Cambridge area.

They have vans that detect unlicensed television sets, in order to enforce the TV taxes.

Not cool.   undecided
The enforcers here supposedly have equipment that can see if you have a tv, but those things are of little use in an apartment complex. Computer screens would show up as well...

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 08:12:07 AM »
It's not the screens they're looking for, that's a common misconception.  LCD televisions don't emit cathode rays, either. "Noisy" flyback transformers are becoming a thing of the past as the world moves past CRT devices, but that's not the end of the story.

They're looking for the emissions from the television tuner sections, which by nature re-emit RF and IF signal via the internal oscillator circuits as part of their signal processing path. Those signals can be picked up fairly easily and triangulated. About the only way to mask it is to make your home a big Faraday cage - including shielding the antenna and power line.

That, in conjunction with the registration of televisions at the purchase point, is what gives the BBC their draconian authority. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 09:47:49 AM »
what about monitors? i.e. TV's with no tuners?
There shouldn't be any harmonics from those, then, right?

I'd just be wrapping my cable box, tuner card, etc, in a small faraday cage and I'd think that'd take care of it...
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 11:12:08 AM »
It's not the screens they're looking for, that's a common misconception.  LCD televisions don't emit cathode rays, either. "Noisy" flyback transformers are becoming a thing of the past as the world moves past CRT devices, but that's not the end of the story.

They're looking for the emissions from the television tuner sections, which by nature re-emit RF and IF signal via the internal oscillator circuits as part of their signal processing path. Those signals can be picked up fairly easily and triangulated. About the only way to mask it is to make your home a big Faraday cage - including shielding the antenna and power line.

That, in conjunction with the registration of televisions at the purchase point, is what gives the BBC their draconian authority. 
Well, I know that here, their "readings", should they actually use that equipment, mean absolutly jack sh!t. I can deny having a tv until my nose grows long enough to poke out their eyes. Not a damn thing they can do about it. Should they try to force their way in, I can kick them out. They've got basically no authority here, which is as it should be. Bunch of bloody fascists they are...

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 11:21:08 AM »
I'd just be wrapping my cable box, tuner card, etc, in a small faraday cage and I'd think that'd take care of it...

It would require your AC power supply to also be put in the same cage with no input from the external world.

Also your cable input, too, I think.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 12:01:12 PM »
What are these Faraday cages, and where can I get one for my cat? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 12:23:15 PM »
What are these Faraday cages, and where can I get one for my cat? 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 01:07:16 PM »
Viking, I thank you for your concern.  Unfortunately, the link you provided leads to no information about cages for felines.   sad
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »
Just line the inside of your whole house with tin foil....that way you can stop wearing that silly hat! angel
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »
Wouldn't the Faraday Cage also effectively block out the TV signals ?

I guess you could just put up an external antenna  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 08:39:58 PM »
Just for you fistful Smiley,

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

atomd

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 05:41:08 AM »
If you're blind, they will give you a 50% discount on your TV license (I'm not kidding). What a deal!

TV Licensing's database of more than 28 million addresses is a critical part of enforcing the TV Licence. Typically, we'll send a number of letters to an unlicensed address, reminding occupants of the importance of being properly licensed and giving information on the many ways they can pay. We may also contact occupants by phone, asking whether a TV Licence is needed at the property. If there is no response, the address will be selected for a visit from an Enforcement Officer. Visits like this can provide TV Licensing with information on whether an address is unoccupied or derelict and whether there is a TV receiver on the premises. Visits can also result in evaders being caught. On average around 1,000 evaders are caught daily.

You need a TV licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, set-top box, video or DVD recorder, computer or mobile phone to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV.

Wow...they've really got the bases covered.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 11:35:09 AM »
I hope no legislator or certain Mayor here in Illinois get wind of this.  They've pretty much taxed everything else.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.